Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

AI had two 750's in the past and the only thing I didn't like about them was that the bike SCREAMED for a 6th gear!

If you wanted to go faster than say 65 the rpm's would get up there.....on some So Cal freeways the "norm" is speeds of 75 or 80 and on a motorcycle I always like to keep up with traffic or go slightly faster to avoid a rear end hit.

So my question is, has anyone or can you put a 6th gear in the Vulcan's tranny??

·
Registered
17 Posts
6th Grar

Hey guys!

AI had two 750's in the past and the only thing I didn't like about them was that the bike SCREAMED for a 6th gear!

If you wanted to go faster than say 65 the rpm's would get up there.....on some So Cal freeways the "norm" is speeds of 75 or 80 and on a motorcycle I always like to keep up with traffic or go slightly faster to avoid a rear end hit.

So my question is, has anyone or can you put a 6th gear in the Vulcan's tranny??
If someone came out with a reliable and resonably priced one they'd sell a lot of them, that's for sure. I use to have a 440 LTD and the 6th gear was great to have. The lack of one and the small gas tank are my only complaints I have with my Vulcan. SAR

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
My first bike was an '85 VN700A1, which lugged in 5th going 50 mph, and felt about dead on the money doing 65-70. I always felt the bike was geared really tall, and the 9000 rpm redline helped a bit too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
If someone came out with a reliable and resonably priced one they'd sell a lot of them, that's for sure. I use to have a 440 LTD and the 6th gear was great to have. The lack of one and the small gas tank are my only complaints I have with my Vulcan. SAR
Yeah, those are two what I'd call "drawbacks" about the VUlcan 750, I didn't think about that before.

But the BIG EXPENSIVE thing I'd complain about is the non-lubed spline on the shaft drive.
Kawasaki should have recalled the bikes for that, but evidently not enough people complained about it.
I never knew about that problem untill I joined this site.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the best thing to do is change the sprokets
bigger at the front and smaller at the back,

look at this site and it will give you a good idear of the speed diffrences
just chose a bike thats like yours if yours its not there,

http://www.gearingcommander.com/
Man that's a GREAT site! Very informative!!
Thanks for posting!

Mr Administrator...I nominate that site made into a "sticky" thread so anyone can reference it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The vn750 will accept a wider 170/80-15.
The sidewall height calculation of 170 mm X 80%= 132 mm.

The OEM tire size 150/90-15 = a sidewall height of 135 mm.

If anything, this calculation indicates the wider 170 mm tire is shorter in height by ~6mm (1/4"),
and shorter in circumference by ~19 mm (3/4") than the OEM size.

In reality, I doubt that a rider would be able to notice any difference in engine speed while riding at 80 mph.

Many vn700/750 riders on the vn750.com site have changed out to the larger 170/80-15 rear and a 110/90-19 front tire (which almost corrects the 10% error in the speedometer). They usually report an improved ride and feel of the road.

(At least one has reported engine speed was lower by a couple hundred rpms , which I do not understand from a mathematical standpoint, as mentioned above.)

A few have also gone to the darkside with a car tire on the rear wheel. craznurs said she would never go back to a motorcycle tire on the rear of a cruiser, and has a CT on the rear of her new ride- a 1600 V-star IIRC.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
lol yeah...now that we're talking about this, the rear tire on that VN700 was a 170 series...that would explain why it always felt like it was geared tall.

·
Registered
33 Posts
the reason I got my virago 1100 was because the 750 vulcan was just wound out and screaming for a 6th gear....
I like both bikes and ride each regularly...
problem with vulcan electrical...going to post it now..at the "help" site...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm really surprised that Kawasaki, after many years of producing the same bike, didn't add a 6th gear. This had to have been one of the biggest complaints. How much could it have cost? I'm also surprised to find many new bikes don't offer it. I think all bikes should have it. The 6th gear would complete my 750. Add my name to the list if a manufacturer begins to produce it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts