Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We departed the morning of Sunday May 2 for Phoenix, and returned Wednesday May 12. We logged about 2950 miles in 7 road days (4 days in Phoenix), an average of 421 miles per road day. Longest days were May 2, at 550 miles, and May 11, at 562.

Best days were days 3 and 4 visiting state and national parks, and day 9 out of Phoenix through Las Vegas and on to Tonopah NV.

Worst days were day 2 across Bonneville Salt Flats with a 50 MPG side wind, and Day 11, when we left Tonopah NV at about 27 degrees. Really. There was an inch of ice on the windshield wash bucket at the gas station. And a headwind on the road. Thank heaven the roads were dry.

We overnighted at West Wendover NV, Panguitch UT, and Page AZ on the way down, and Tonopah NV and Ontario OR on the way home.

Gas milage ranged from low 30's at 80 mph into the wind, and 54 on the lazy ride from Bryce Canyon to the Anasazi pueblo ruins at Boulder UT.

The ride was solid and comfy on the Pirelli Mt66's I installed just before the ride. None of the skittishness I experienced on the P. O. S. OEM Dunlops.

So much for the statistics.

We spent four relaxed days with Ron's brother and sister-in-law Steve and Starla, who opened their home and treated me like family from the git-go. On Friday they took us to the Pima Air Museum near Tucson. If you haven't seen that, and you're into machines, it's a must-see.

Here are a few pics...
Here's Ron on his 1100 Shadow, along with my 900LT. Note the color-corrdinated coffee bottle on top of the luggage...

My 900LT at Rainbow Point in Bryce Canyon, elevation 9115 feet. Praise be to fuel injection...

Our tax dollars at work at Bryce Canyon. Who else could afford a solar powerered trash compactor. Whaddaya supposed those cost?

Home country. Looking out over the Blue Mountains near Pendleton OR 30 miles from home. Even after 2900 miles on the road, we still had the urge to get off the slab and take the scenic route home, down the old Cabbage Hill Road, past the old mission, and through Thorn Hollow on the Umatilla Indian Reservation.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
A most excellent birthday ride (Tonopah withstanding), mbwarner. Well done, and glad to hear you made it back safe.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Wow! Thanks for sharing! You're an inspiration!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts