Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how important is the 600 mile service on a new bike? Does it actually matter or is it just a way for the dealer to get more money out of me?

·
Registered
100 Posts
The dealers talk about tune ups and re-jetting and all kinds of stuff. In reality, all they really do is an oil change as far as I know. Maybe check the tire pressure and coolant level. And, they charge big time for this service. How much re-jetting is required on an EFI engine?:eek: You can do an oil change much cheaper. I still don't know how to change the blinker light fluid.

·
Registered
308 Posts
how important is the 600 mile service on a new bike? Does it actually matter or is it just a way for the dealer to get more money out of me?
it is critical to change the oil! the sooner the better... also make sure the oil screen is clean, i've found some metal in there at 3k miles... this is the first oil the engine used, so it has some 'debris' -that you need to take out.

so either take it to the dealer or do it yourself, just get that first round of oil changed... i'm sure some ppl will reply giving you more details why the 600miles service is important.

here are some pictures of the oil screen thanks to Jaredgant: http://s128.photobucket.com/albums/p197/Jaredgant/Oil change/

also the diagram: http://www.gadgetjq.com/vulcan_1500_oil-sys.htm#diagram

·
Registered
719 Posts
Do it yourself and keep track of everything for the warranty. My 1st oil change was at 200 miles to clean out any debris left behind by the factory. Took pictures of some sealant that got trapped in the screen.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Unless something major were to happen in the first year, once i leave the lot of the dealer, that's the last time they see my vehicle... bike or car.

Changing the oil and filters aren't really a difficult process and it's a whole lot cheaper to do it yourself. My suggestion is to get a repair manual and do whatever you can. If you're not comfortable doing a particular repair or checkup, go to a reputable mechanic. The only thing i use the dealer for is parts that i can't get anywhere else.

·
Registered
209 Posts
600 Miles Service.

When I rolled up 600, I changed the oil/filter and called the dealer for a service appointment. He said and I quote "if you have changed the oil and filter you are good to go as all we do is check the tire pressure, coolant level and change the oil and filter". So, if you don't have any issues, just do the oil/filter yourself.

The blinker fluid doesn't need to be changed until you change the throttle cable coolant at 12000 parsecs. So you should be able to defer these items for the next owner, or more probably some other subsequent owner. :D

·
Registered
343 Posts
I could not get the plug out that holds the screen,is there a trick to this?It was all the way loose but it hit the frame.

Also what about checking the valve lash on these 900,s is it something that needs done every so often.Will get a manual soon

·
Registered
209 Posts
I could not get the plug out that holds the screen,is there a trick to this?It was all the way loose but it hit the frame.

Also what about checking the valve lash on these 900,s is it something that needs done every so often.Will get a manual soon
The valves are not do for adjustment until 15000 miles, US models.

I will check the service manual on the oil screen for you.

·
Registered
719 Posts

If you get the plug loose you should be able to pull it downward and the screen will come out. Just another quirk.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts