Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone taken their S in for the 600 mile service? I am considering doing my own oil change, as the research I have donw is essentially an oil change, fluid level check and bolt / cable tightness check. Is there anything I am missing that would justify the $180-200 price tag for dealer 600 mile service?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I did my own oil change and checked everything over. I looked for leaks and checked other stuff like cable tightness and chain tension. If you're mechanically inclined I'd say check it over yourself, it'll help familiarize yourself with the bike should something occur down the road.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You can do it!

Just did my 1000km service myself. Oil changed, topped up the coolant, and cleaned and tightened the chain. Needed a couple large sockets for the rear axle nut, but was otherwise pretty easy. Give it a shot if you feel comfortable.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It depend on quality of first service where you intend to take it.. first service is not just oil and filter change like people think... you need to check everything to be sure it came from factory ok and to have safe future ride.
My mechanic changed oil, filter and took apart whole bike, checked , tightened, lubed everything, every bolt, cables, electronics.... and reassembled it back . I was with him 4 hours. You cant do that yourself without proper tools and knowledge so i strongly recommend taking bike to first service ;)

·
Registered
713 Posts
The only reason I paid big bucks for the first service is for the stamp in the book so I wouldn't void warranty.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
The only reason I paid big bucks for the first service is for the stamp in the book so I wouldn't void warranty.

What he said. You just laid out good money or are making hard earned money payments. Why risk hassle in the future? What is a couple hundred bucks compared to a $2000 motor job if something isn't right and they claim user error because of no dealer 1st service?

·
Registered
415 Posts
If you ever buy a new bike again, just before you finalize the deal, tell them you want the first two services included, works everytime, then after that i do them...ride on.....

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
If you ever buy a new bike again, just before you finalize the deal, tell them you want the first two services included, works everytime, then after that i do them...ride on.....
I almost never buy big ticket depreciating value toys new. If I did this would be a good idea. It will cost the dealer very little.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I should have driven a harder deal. The issue was, they had to get this bike from another dealership, because they were flying off the floor. Hard to haggle much on a hot ticket item. I think I will bite the $180 bullet, let them check the factory settings, adjust my shock for me, and get her all back to "better than new", since she is broken in now. After that, I am completely comfortable handling basic maintenance and upkeep. Thanks for the input guys! S/F Goldsmith

1 - 9 of 9 Posts