Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Actually was 700 miles oil change.

Got the 2011 5 days ago... trailered it home. First oil check before riding it after getting it home, it was right a quart low. So I just added a quart and it brought the level up to the top mark on dip stick (yes I screw it all the way in... upright and all that....)

Just did the 600 mile oil change. Put in 4.5 quarts like the owners manual says... let it run about a minute and a half, let it sit for about 15 minutes before I got back to it. It is a quart low....

Is the owners manual wrong?

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
Actually was 700 miles oil change.

Got the 2011 5 days ago... trailered it home. First oil check before riding it after getting it home, it was right a quart low. So I just added a quart and it brought the level up to the top mark on dip stick (yes I screw it all the way in... upright and all that....)

Just did the 600 mile oil change. Put in 4.5 quarts like the owners manual says... let it run about a minute and a half, let it sit for about 15 minutes before I got back to it. It is a quart low....

Is the owners manual wrong?
Depends on if you changed the filter or not. Since you are talking about 4.5 qts. I assume you did not. Anyway when I change oil & filter it gets 5 quarts and it comes to the middle of the stick. And you should only let it sit for only 2-3 minutes then check the level. Not 15, that will give you a wrong reading.

Bubba did you get my private message about my air horn?

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
BTY, if & when you get ready to make some changes to your scoot I can help you with what I have learned over the last two years. I have added a few things and increased the H/P some what. My ride is so nice now. :D
Anyway I am here if you need any info.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yes I changed the filter as required by the maint schedule. I added enough to bring it up. My owners manual says 4.5 with filter change. 5.3 with dry engine.
Apparently it is not exactly a wealth of good information.

The owners manual that came with it is about the most worthless thing I have ever seen. Kawasaki should take a look at a Yamaha's owners manual, it tells you everything. By the way I live 250 miles from the nearest Motorcycle dealer of any kind. (or anything else for that matter):eek:

And thanks for your reply..... we took a 485 mile lunch run today in 100 to 105 heat until we got in the Sierras... It does get a little warm..... got back and did the 600 mile service. (plus some):D

I DO like the way it rides. Went through about 100 miles of twisties today and I will need to get extra floorboard skids..... do they come in titanium?

Where did you mount your Streble? Nevermind, got your message. I have changed out the air boxes, and all that kind of stuff on a lot of motorcycles. If it did not have a hypercharger of some sort it got one. I have had literally a couple hundred motorcycles since I was 16. (My dad was a dealer in West Texas) I am to the point in my old age, that if it starts and gets me there.... good enough..... go fast and gas mileage does not mean much to me any more.... No more LED's... I had over 600 on my Venture I just traded in. All LED except the headlight and fog lights, Hand made super bright police LEDs stop light panel with 100 red LED, (still have them on the trailer) and 20 blue in the center. (we can run blue dots in Nevada) Even the fog lights had LED back lighting. I paid 4.98 for gas in Lee Vining California today.... typical for that place.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
I was wrong about what the manual says. You're right it says 4.5 with filter change. It has been over a year since I looked at it. Anyway it has always taken 5 to bring it mid way for me.And I have read in other threads that others had to put in 5 quarts.
Wow you do live far away from the city. I couldn't do that.
I will get you a picture of my RAM mount tomorrow. OK

·
Registered
217 Posts
Mine takes 5 quarts with a filter change. I'm just into the hash marks if I put in 4.5 quarts like the manual says. With 5 quarts I'm about 1/2 way on the hash marks without screwing it in, and about 3/4 up the marks screwing it all the way in.
James

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I change my oil with the engine hot from a ride. Let it drain until the engine is cool. New filter and 5 quarts of oil.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys...... I will be doing my 3000 oil change next week looks like.....:cool:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Read the manual

Thanks guys...... I will be doing my 3000 oil change next week looks like.....:cool:
The 1700 is a semi-dry sump. Read the manual carefully and follow the instructions. You just don't dump oil in it until the dipstick indicates it's full. The oil is measured into the crankcase. Check the oil per the manual. If you find oil in the left side intake, you put too much oil in.

To properly fill a semi-dry sump follow the manual.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Sin City Stan said...........The 1700 is a semi-dry sump. Read the manual carefully and follow the instructions. You just don't dump oil in it until the dipstick indicates it's full. The oil is measured into the crankcase. Check the oil per the manual. If you find oil in the left side intake, you put too much oil in.

Yep...... even though the service manual nor the owners manual says anything other than to dump the new oil in...

From service manual:
• Replace the oil filter with a new one.
• Apply engine oil to the gasket [A] of the new filter before
installation.
• Tighten the filter with the oil filter wrench.
Special Tool - Oil Filter Wrench: 57001-1249
Torque - Oil Filter: 18 N·m (1.8 kgf·m, 13 ft·lb)
• Pour in the specified grade

○Because of the semi-dry sump lubrication system, the
engine oil level indicated on the dipstick will fluctuate
depending on the motorcycle’s position and engine
speed when the engine is shut off. To ensure a proper
reading of the engine oil level, follow the Oil Level
Inspection procedures closely.

Not my first oil change on a 1700 Kawasaki Vulcan either. We have 4 of them in my group.... I just have the newest so far. But in the long run no matter how you change your oil, it still takes 5 quarts.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
I just did an oil change on my skoot. I came back from a ride Sunday, took out the drain plugs and let it drain for 2 days till i came back to work Tuesday. finished with the oil change, engine took 5 qts to fill just below the top line.

RACNRAY

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Cool... I will doing my 3000 mile this weekend.

Well at least it was cooled off by the time you put the drain plugs back in. Anyone replacing the plug gaskets like the book says to do? I don't like the way they just fall off. At least they are too big for my pan drain holes. I think I will be changing drain plugs with a NAPA replacement. I am sure they have some.

I just added the Drag Specialties air deflector made for Harley FLH's on the bottom of my Trip tree. It seems to make a difference in engine temp forcing the high air over the fender down to the radiator. Wont fit with the stock air horn in place, but that was the first thing to go for me... I am a Streble fan... but that wimpy tiny stock horn can be remounted anywhere.

It's not for the weak of heart to install. BUT... nothing, even a brand new motorcycle is sacred to me...:eek:

I did have a boo boo and had to go to plan B.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The 1700 is a semi-dry sump. Read the manual carefully and follow the instructions. You just don't dump oil in it until the dipstick indicates it's full. The oil is measured into the crankcase. Check the oil per the manual. If you find oil in the left side intake, you put too much oil in.

To properly fill a semi-dry sump follow the manual.
From the OWNER's Manual (The one that comes with the bike.)
Oil Level Inspection
If the oil has just been changed or the oil temperature is low, start the engine and run it at idle speed until the oil temperature goes up about 50C (122F). Do not run the engine at high engine speed. Depending on the atmospheric temperature, the idle time may be changed accordingly to the following table. [look in your MOM page 108] During this time the auxiliary cooling fan may be activated several times.

This fills the oil filter with oil. Stop the engine, then wait 2-3 minutes until the oil settles.
1. Remove the oil filler cap/dipstick.
2. Wipe the dipstick clean
3. With the motorcycle perpendicular to the ground (I use a block under the kickstand), thread the oil filler cap/dipstick fully clockwise then remove
4. check the engine oil level on the dipstick. The oil level should come up to between the low and high level lines on the dipstick.

This goes on talking about what to do if the level does not fall into these parameters.

16,000+ miles and five oil/filter changes later, every time I followed this procedure it always took 4.5 quarts to fill midway between the high-low marks.

With a semi-dry sump you could "dump" 6-7 quarts in the by adding oil, then revving the engine and shutting down with 2-3 minutes of idling. But it has to go somewhere.....

This ain't your Chevy 327 (Unless of course you were racing and had a dry sump).:)

·
Registered
191 Posts
I know this thread is ancient, but somebody will be out looking for this info just like I was today.

I too read all the threads about oil levels in the Voyager and there is a large following in the "put 5 quarts in it and ride" theory. I changed my oil for the first time today. I let the dealership do it on the initial service around 700 miles or so.

I put right about 4.6 quarts in the bike and followed the owner's manual guide as stated below to check the oil level. It hit about half way between the full and add mark. Perfect I thought and went on a ride for about an hour.

After I got home I waited around an hour and got my wife to go outside and check the oil level while I made sure the bike was sitting level. The oil just barely touched the bottom of the stick. Now I started second guessing myself and I came back in and started reading more threads on the topic. I found the below post by Sin City Stan so I went back outside and tried it again. This time starting the bike to get the temp up a bit, then turned it off for about three minutes and had the wife check it again. Dead center between the full and add mark just as it had been right after I changed it.

I do think those who are dumping 5.5 to 6 quarts of oil in their bike are overfilling it. If you follow Kawi's directions, it does show the proper amount of oil to be around 4.5 quarts with a filter change. With the being said, I still think it would probably be fine to run it with 5 quarts in it.

From the OWNER's Manual (The one that comes with the bike.)
Oil Level Inspection
If the oil has just been changed or the oil temperature is low, start the engine and run it at idle speed until the oil temperature goes up about 50C (122F). Do not run the engine at high engine speed. Depending on the atmospheric temperature, the idle time may be changed accordingly to the following table. [look in your MOM page 108] During this time the auxiliary cooling fan may be activated several times.

This fills the oil filter with oil. Stop the engine, then wait 2-3 minutes until the oil settles.
1. Remove the oil filler cap/dipstick.
2. Wipe the dipstick clean
3. With the motorcycle perpendicular to the ground (I use a block under the kickstand), thread the oil filler cap/dipstick fully clockwise then remove
4. check the engine oil level on the dipstick. The oil level should come up to between the low and high level lines on the dipstick.

This goes on talking about what to do if the level does not fall into these parameters.

16,000+ miles and five oil/filter changes later, every time I followed this procedure it always took 4.5 quarts to fill midway between the high-low marks.

With a semi-dry sump you could "dump" 6-7 quarts in the by adding oil, then revving the engine and shutting down with 2-3 minutes of idling. But it has to go somewhere.....

This ain't your Chevy 327 (Unless of course you were racing and had a dry sump).:)

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
636 Posts
quarts

Mine always takes a little over 4 quarts evry time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts