Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. I've done many oil changes: on my 05 Triumph Sprint ST, different cars over the years. The Nomad was a little different in that it had two drain plugs. No biggie.

I pull the plugs, the oil drains, and um...where are the washers:confused:? Every vehicle I've done used press washers with the plugs. I think, "Oh well, Kawasaki must have some advanced stuff going on."

I replace the drain plugs, changed the filter using a Bosch 3300, and poured in 4 quarts of Mobil 1 4T 10W-40. I start the bike, let it run a few minutes, check for leaks, then shut it down and wait 15 minutes or so. No leaks. ;)

Checked the dipstick and nothing shows yet (I'm not surprised since the owner's manual says to use 4.5 quarts with a filter change). I add another half a quart and the level shows about where it should.

I start to clean up...tools, rags. I pour the old oil into a gallon container.

Duh. The washers are sitting on the bottom of the drain pan all nice and oily and shiny. :rolleyes:

Nothing like doing the first oil change twice on your new bike to get to know her.

This is what is known as a Classic Delbert.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Wooo, that is funny, but thanks for sharing. It's another "DRTBF" stunt, or "Didn't Read The Book First".

I replied here, because I have a Triumph Sprint too. Mines a 1999. Love that bike also. Lotsa "fun factor".

Very different in oil changes though. LOL:D

PS...love the dog in your Avatar. I love big smushy faced dogs. We had a Pug for almost 9 years.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I too have done many moto oil changes and tell myself before every one of them that this time I'll catch the washer . Rarely happens , so I have to go fishing . Allows you to feel and look like a mechanic ... with filthy hands . Worth every minute considering most dealers want $100+ for an oil change (and scratches on your bike are free !) I do all maintenance myself so if I mess up I know whom to blame .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts