Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up guys...just passed my msf course and going tommorow to get my liscense....just had another newb question that yall love so much...im gonna ride my bike tommorow for the first time ever on real roads and i was wondering are all 2001 vulcan 500s 6 speed transmission? Wish me luck and if you have any other added advice about going around curvy country roads for the first time....IM ALL EARS :) thanks

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Yep.They are all 6 speeds.Take your time & watch were you want to go & look out for gravel & sand on road.Also a great time to practice your counter-steering. :)

·
Registered
620 Posts
Lots of times when I go into a curve in the road, I downshift to 5th or even 4th gear and always slow down more than I think I need to. I am paranoid about sand, gravel and moisture on the road surface.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Always give yourself plenty of time and space......they can be the difference.

And for those curvy country roads--if you have trouble determining the apex--remember you have reached the apex when you can see the end of the curve.

·
Registered
458 Posts
In addition to taking it slow (don't get over confident -- it's easy to do after a few curves), I practice a few figure 8 turns in a parking lot before heading out to the twisties. It gives me a good feel for controlling the bike in a turning environment. FWIW.

A few quick stops also helps with the "feel".

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All good advice thanks...still a little nervous out there but im learning...believe it or not, one of the things that gives me the most trouble is turning from a dead stop...im still getting use to the friction zone and shifting...so turning slow is an overload on my senses lol.

·
Registered
620 Posts
When starting out from stopped and going slow and turning do not use the hand brake. Always use the foot brake in this situation. And give it plenty of gas and slip the clutch for additional control in the slow going.

Practicing on a vacant large parking lot is a good way to learn..that way you don't have to overthink things such as other drivers and so on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts