Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Kawasaki Vulcan S ABS SE
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I ride more than 2 hours or so I am just not feeling good. Did a 12 hour round trip on M Day weekend. Butt still hurts. 2 hours from home I thought "MISERABLE"

Stock Extended reach seat. Should I try to make this ride that I love more comfy or should I just trade it for an ADV style tall guy bike? I really like the V-Strom I just rode; and there is a Versys 650 sitting there for a good price. There are also some used bikes (Africa Twin and a KTM 1190) with low miles at a local dealership. Wife doesn't want me to; but man I am dreading that next long trip. Any advice is very welcome.

BTW: I seriously just installed a windscreen (puig) and the passenger seat and pegs... The Windscreen helped out a TON on comfort (wind). I LOVE my bike (2018 Kawi VS 650 SE) but I want to be a LOT more comfortable. If I keep it I def will install some luggage of some kind. Backpacks suck on long trips...

·
Registered
2015 Vulcan S (Sold)
54 Posts
6'4" here, I'm selling my KVS and going the ADV style tall guy bike route (eventually). Check out the Versys 650 LT? I threw a leg over one last weekend and the ergos seemed much more tall-guy friendly, and the luggage can fit a full face helmet on either side.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Hell my butt gets sore in the car after 2 hours.
IS there a seat that will accommodate anyone after 4 plus hours - I think no.
I'm no long haul rider. I just dont want to have to endure just what you described.

·
Registered
2017 Vulcan 900 Classic
153 Posts
"
6 foot 5 inch guy... Love my Vulcan S but is it just too small?

People ah so phunny. Buy bike too small and then share their bad decisions with others. Y'all just make me chuckle.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
"
6 foot 5 inch guy... Love my Vulcan S but is it just too small?

People ah so phunny. Buy bike too small and then share their bad decisions with others. Y'all just make me chuckle.
Where is that VN2K when you need it? Oh yeah, in my garage, says the 6' 3" guy... ;)

·
Registered
2008 Vulcan 900
60 Posts
Where is that VN2K when you need it? Oh yeah, in my garage, says the 6' 3" guy... ;)
First rule about being a big guy: make sure the product you want to buy WORKS for big guys!!!

Sincerely,
6’ 4”.

·
Registered
2010 Vulcan 2000 Classic Lt
118 Posts
The 2010 V2K has about six inches more wheel base than most all other cruisers and touring bikes. This makes for a bigger cockpit area for the driver and gives more area for the passenger. Mine is for sale and "big guys" is everyone contacting me. Most have owned a V2K before and want another. I am not close to Ohio but it would be a nice ride back. It is posted in this site's classifieds with a link to Cycle Trader where I have the full listing on it. Either or the V2Ks accommodate big guys well.

2010 Vulcan 2000 Classic Lt - Portland, Oregon

And the suspension with the 8 way dampening rebound is fantastic. I have no problem riding from fill up to fill up, which is longer than two hours for sure, on this one with the Mustang seat.

·
Registered
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S, 2020 Kawasaki Z900
1,025 Posts
I will attempt to answer with something that may actually be helpful, though me being 5'9 can't say much for things what I can say is I have seen people your height riding honda groms, probably not doing 12 hour rides but they manage to ride the bike they love. If it's only the seat that is bothering you causing a sore butt maybe look into different seat options, if you are lucky someone here may be local to you with a Corbin seat installed and willing to let you sit on it. I do agree that a 12 straight hour ride isn't comfortable even in a fairly luxurious car, especially if it's not something you frequently do. Doing long rides is like working out, have to build up to longer and longer rides if theres any chance of being relatively comfortable for that length of time even with more comfortable seating.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'd have to agree with BlueRibbonRM. No seat is going to stay comfy for 12 hours. I could easily see the Vulcan S being too small for taller people. It fits me to a T, but I have the reduced-reach everything. If it had on the extended-reach everything, I'd think it's still too small for tall people. It's not a big bike.....If I were your height, I'd already have plunked down 15k for a used HD Breakout, possibly the nicest looking bike that's ever been built. It's just way too big for me - there is no short reach kit for the forward foot controls and it's a looooong bike.

·
Super Moderator
4,550 Posts
Having a bike that doesn’t fit takes all the joy out of motorcycling. Like boats, I always say go bigger. Just sell the S. List it here in the Classified Section. Good Luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I disagree with the advice "always go bigger." I say "always get what fits you." I've been riding standard/adventure-style bikes for about the past 15 years, and just got back into cruisers this fall. If I was tall, I would likely stick with the ADV-style bikes. The comfort can't be beat. I just got tired of tippy-toes all the time. You'd probably be very happy with one. If there's a BMW dealer near you, they'll let you test ride the bikes.

·
Registered
2018 Kawasaki Vulcan S ABS SE
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all. I bought it cause I loved it. Still do. First bike, relatively new rider. It felt good on 1-2 hour trips for 2 years. Never been on a long ride like that. Look I was not complaining about the bike at all. If I don't fit that's not it's fault and that's just not something I realized as a new rider. Was just looking for advice from the more experienced people on here, thanks to those that offered some. I think I'm gonna keep it one more season at least. Heck, I may keep it and just add an adventure touring style bike later on. I'm not really sure yet. I'm not sure how many long rides I'm gonna take this year - whatever that turns out to be will probably have an impact on my decision.

·
Registered
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S, 2020 Kawasaki Z900
1,025 Posts
The proper amount of bikes to own is N+1 where N=the current amount of bikes you own! I remember a time where I could ride my former ZX6R for hours non stop and not feel uncomfortable, and that bike was certainly not built for comfort, now I can't even sit on my comfy couch for more than a couple hours without feeling sore 😂 whether you keep it or not I hope you stay on 2 wheels and work out what suits you best. With another year to go I suggest keeping an eye out for demo days from various manufacturers, most you can sign up for notifications of any events coming near your area, just don't expect to ride every bike in their lineup in one day - pick 1 or 2 that you really think would be good for you and demo ride them, that's how me and my wife decided on our current bikes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Newbie here ...... but the replies to this thread really surprised me. I'm 6 ft with long legs and have been riding a dual sport for a few years. Many Japanese bikes are a bit cramped for me, but I wanted to buy a locally made cruiser as I'm not getting any younger, (locally made in Thailand is about half the cost of an import), so for me that's Honda, Kawasaki (or Triumph - but they are still crazy expensive here).

I tried a Honda Rebel 500 - but it was too cramped for my legs, but the Vulcan 650 is much longer with more forward set controls. The longer reach setting is easily big enough for me, and in Thailand a Vulcan 650 is considered to be a big bike. None of the larger Vulcan models are available in Thailand, and most bikes here are under 250cc, so a Vulcan 650 is thought to be the best bike for taller people.

But I'm not sure if I see the 650 as a big bike because most bikes here are small, or if others see it as a small bike because the bigger models are sold in their country?

There are many accessories made here, and I see that some Vulcan owners change the seat to improve comfort - so is a different seat not an option?

I did that mid-life crisis thing a while back, and rode a Harley Sportster coast to coast from Miami to LA, and an Air Hawk inflatable seat made my rental 883 Sportster good for all day riding. The extra height plus the cushioning made it comfortable for daily dawn to dusk 'iron but' riding for me, which is why I'm now looking for a cruiser rather than a adventure bike.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts