Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm getting 6.2 L/100km or 38 MPG fuel economy. This seems high according to some googling. I do spirited riding and I live in a city with lots of hills. I had my carbs tuned and richened up a bit because of a misfire. Comments / opinions?

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
38mpg is low according to some. I get low 30's when riding 2-up and at Interstate speeds. And get low 50's when riding solo on scenic roads.

What do you consider 'spirited riding' pace?

·
Registered
149 Posts
I know people who got as low as 3.8L/100km or 60mpg. Everything stock with very gentle hand on the throttle. Normal should be about 4.0-5l/100km or 58-52mpg, depending on your driving style. With modified/debaffled exhaust, fuel usage should increase about 10% than normal

·
Registered
507 Posts
...It's a lot of stop and go between lights....
There's yer problem right there. If you want to boost your mileage, play the "time the next light" game -- if you can even do that without being converted into a grease spot by a delivery van....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Highest I had was a bit above 5.5 L/100km, and that was a lot of, as you put it, spirited rides in the town and on local hills.

Lowest was around 4 L/100km, on long straight stretches of road, keeping it nice and cozy.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I purchased right now an EN500 with 10.000 kms on it. Like a new one. My consumption is around 5.5 L/100 km. Not sporty, not savvy ride.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
"Spirited driving", stop and go, hilly, and, while not huge, a healthy driver.

Sounds like a recipe for gas mileage on the low end.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I'd say average is around 50 mpg not 30's.
AND I get 50 with my wife on, but I do ride gently with her on.
Make sure everything is as it should be and replace your air filter.
Remember speed takes gas.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts