Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
101 - 115 of 115 Posts
Those of you who have done the resistor mod have you noticed any change in your bike's idle after start up? I'm referring to a cold start up, such as in the morning with the bike in neutral. The reason I ask is I disconnected the resistor harness the other day before I started it. This was on a cold start. The bike's idle was very smooth. With the resistor mod in the idle is rough. Anyone having the same issue? After the engine warms the rough idle disappears.

I'm about to do it, should get the harness today. I'll let you know what I notice.
But on the idle thread, even before I do the mod, I notice that the engine runs smoother at idle when in neutral than when in gear. It seems to lope when idling in gear. I can feel and hear the difference while waiting for a turn lane to clear, or when stopped at a traffic light. Since I understand the resistor mod, I think it may have to do with the timing advance that is either being over ridden with the mod, or different in neutral than when in gear.

I'm about to do it, should get the harness today. I'll let you know what I notice.
But on the idle thread, even before I do the mod, I notice that the engine runs smoother at idle when in neutral than when in gear. It seems to lope when idling in gear. I can feel and hear the difference while waiting for a turn lane to clear, or when stopped at a traffic light. Since I understand the resistor mod, I think it may have to do with the timing advance that is either being over ridden with the mod, or different in neutral than when in gear.
Mine runs smooth in both neutral and in gear as long as its warm. Its that first run after sitting overnight, regardless of the temp, that with the resistor mod installed, will idle rough. So, like you said the resistor must be affecting the timing advance. I'm wondering if it's just mine or just the 05's? Thanks!

did some searching and found ATRE gear emulator. Apparently, single resistors change the mapping of NEUTRAL which can affect your starting and can affect the timing when idling. I suspect that's happening with my 05. Like I said earlier, when I disconnected the resistor the engine idled perfectly. However, the additional hp and pull were gone. Reinstalled afterwards.

Discussion starter · #107 ·
from what I remember, can't be done with the 08,09,and 2010 models.

Something about the wiring is different.

Moheekon here looking for what kind and specs of resistor needed for mod. I live in central Mo there are no Radio Shacks around anymore. So can anyone tell me what to get and where i might get one? Thanks, Moheekon

Discussion starter · #112 ·
Moheekon here looking for what kind and specs of resistor needed for mod. I live in central Mo there are no Radio Shacks around anymore. So can anyone tell me what to get and where i might get one? Thanks, Moheekon

Did you read thru the thread? It's talked about several times.

Quantity of one of either 432 ohm or 442 ohm, 1/2 watt, 1% tolerance resistors can be ordered from Digi-Key for $0.17 each.

I don't believe there is any minimum order nor any handling fee, but they may charge sales tax. Also, they will ship USPS First Class mail for small items so shipping isn't that much either.

So, if you don't have a local source you can get just one for roughly $3.00 to your door. Probably can't even drive to the local electronics store for less than that.

Discussion starter · #114 ·
Don't cut the bike wires themselves. Get a spedo healer to cut up.

not cheap, but you can take it out at any time and return to normal.

that's kinda my understanding also Paul.

I hadn't heard about this yet, since it really only affects the 04 and early 05 models. (Although, apparently it will help all years, just not to the same extreme).

From what I understand, a chip in the bike limits the amount of hp gears 1-4 are allowed to produce.

I guess Kawi thought the bike had TO much power, so they limited it. Only it was TO much of a limit at first. With the 06 and 07 models, they increased the amount the gears could produce. And from what I understand, with the 08+ models, it was toned back down some (but not to the extent of the 04's).

so anyways, the procedure is a way to trick the chip into always thinking it's in 5th gear.. so it's not clamping down on the power.

Maybe Bare will explain it in layman terms...
Do you know if it will work on '04 with a Dyno Jet power commander and free flow intake & exaust ?

101 - 115 of 115 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.