Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
81 - 100 of 115 Posts
Has anyone dione this mod on an 08,09,or 10?

According to my wiring diagram in my service manual the gear position switch for these years has been removed. I don't know hoe the ecm knows which gear the bike is in. There is no electric harness to install the resistor.

Ideas?

from reading the forum I don't think anyone with an 08, 09 or 10 has done the 5th gear cheat. If they have, they haven't posted it on here as far as I know. The '06 Ltd is the latest year I know it worked. It definitely made a difference with my '05.

Discussion starter · #83 ·
The 2008 2009 and 2010, you would notice it, and notice it pretty good.

It's REALLY noticeable in the 2004 and 2005.

The 2006 and 2007 WILL increase the acceleration, just not as much as the others.

I did my 06 last week. It made a noticeable difference, not what I would call big difference by any means though. It did however, spin the rear tire in 2nd gear. Never did that before:D. Still worth the two bucks it cost.

I did a search and see that a few people here have done the 5th gear Resistor Mod.

http://vn2000.com/pages/resistor_mod.htm

For those that have done it, what is y'alls opinion on it?

OK, I am looking at my 08, and there are two black wires in the plug. Which one does the job? I am considering another route with this: find the connectors (they look like mini-blades), and fab jumpers for all of the wires in the plug. Not real interested in slicing into my bikes wiring.

Discussion starter · #86 ·
I am considering another route with this: find the connectors (they look like mini-blades), and fab jumpers for all of the wires in the plug. Not real interested in slicing into my bikes wiring.
There is a harness you can buy, that plugs in-between the connectors.

buy that and splice the resistor into THAT instead of cutting on your actual bike wires. Tis what i did.

Do you know where to buy the harness, or just the name on it.
Can`t find it any longer, I used to look for a Gipro, but never found it.
Yep, go to post #37 in this thread. There you will find a link i posted. Open the link then click on the drop down menu and choose Kawasaki 2 plug-n-go. That is the harness you will need. Hope this helps.

OK, I am looking at my 08, and there are two black wires in the plug. Which one does the job? I am considering another route with this: find the connectors (they look like mini-blades), and fab jumpers for all of the wires in the plug. Not real interested in slicing into my bikes wiring.
Hawkwolf I have a 2008. I purchased and modified the speedohealer jumper only to find out that in 08,09,and 10 Kawi eliminated the gear position switch that the resistor jumpers out. As far as i have found the resistor mod will not work on these years.

I don't know how the ECM knows which gear the bike is in but its not the same as earlier years.

still searching

:mad:

Hawkwolf I have a 2008. I purchased and modified the speedohealer jumper only to find out that in 08,09,and 10 Kawi eliminated the gear position switch that the resistor jumpers out. As far as i have found the resistor mod will not work on these years.

I don't know how the ECM knows which gear the bike is in but its not the same as earlier years.

still searching

Commander, this is not good news... I removed the ecu butterfly's the other day, not sure if there was an improvement. I feel like the engine has longer legs than it shows currently, I just don't know how to wake her up!
Burt

still searching

Find anything else?

still searching

I was just looking at the SM, electrical schematic, and parts list for my 2008 and I don't see a gear position sensor. At least on the parts list, earlier models do list a gear position sensor (don't have schematic for earlier model).

What is interesting is that on the parts list the 2008 and newer show a neutral switch in the same exact location where the earlier models show the gear position sensor. The neutral switch is a different part number than the gear position sensor.

The SM does not indicate any variable resistance values for the neutral switch, and the SM test procedure is only to check continuity (closed) in neutral and (open) not in neutral.

I guess it's time to break out the trusty Fluke meter to see if maybe there is something more going on with the neutral switch than the SM eludes to.

Perhaps they got wise to the resistor mod and tried to hide it, or are doing it differently, or maybe took it away altogether in the later years?

Anyone have a pre-08 SM and care to tell us if there is a test procedure for the gear position sensor and what it says about it?

I have a '09 model (European), and the switch has just one lead.
My dealer changed the switch for one of a '07 with 3 leads, but this is only possible by changing the ECM too for a < 08 model, otherwise you are missing a connection with the switch and it doen't work i. For the connection is an extra lead needed in the harnas.
I added a gipro gear indicator with atre, now I have the power of the first models and the choice of diffrend modes.
From standard to hard(=full power in all gears,no restrictions).

This was not a cheap modification, but it was worth every euro/dollar.

Grz

Thanks.

Unfortunately, Commander Spock called it. Looks like owners of 08 and up VN2Ks are S.O.L. on this simple mod unless, as Metric Cruiser described, the ECM, wiring, and neutral switch are replaced with 07 or earlier parts.

Forgive me if this has been addressed, but I'm having a hard time finding a 1% resistor in that range. Will a 5% work? Or can someone point me to a 1%er?

Thanks.

Does anyone have a SpeedoHeeler available. The supplier listed in this thread is out of them. I thought I saw a couple of members who had the adapter already configured and available since their bikes would not accept this modification.

Let me know. I'm interested in getting the adapter & resistor in place while I've got the bike torn down for the Euro Gear mod.

I also have 10 of the resistors if anyone needs one. PM me & I'll send one out.

Thanks

81 - 100 of 115 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.