Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
61 - 80 of 115 Posts
Discussion starter · #61 ·
This isn't fair. Why did my bike loose it's speedometer when I hooked up the resistor/speedo healer cable.
Any ideas what I can do to make this work on my bike? No one else had the problem of the speedometer stop working when using the cable?

I've heard of this before.

They say if you take the cable off and hard-wire it, it works fine then.

I don't buy that, no reason for it to be any different. My personal opinion, if the first wiring (using the cable) was faulty.

Maybe try a new resistor.

Still having a problem locating exactly the right resistor. Some folks have been very helpful in pointing out sites where you can order them, but when I try to search, I get about 4 thousands item matches and no idea how to narrow them down. Anyone have a link to an exact part?

I got my harness today, just need to get the resistor.

By the way, I'm assuming everyone else cut their harness down to size. The wires are really long for what we're doing.
Toolong, I went to DigKey's website. I bought 2 resistors (in case I screwed up). The stock number is PPC432ZCT-ND. It's a 432 OHM Metal film .60W 1% and costs .33 cents each. www.digikey.com
Hope this helps.

This isn't fair. Why did my bike loose it's speedometer when I hooked up the resistor/speedo healer cable.
Any ideas what I can do to make this work on my bike? No one else had the problem of the speedometer stop working when using the cable?
Not sure why either...i would look at the mod set up and make certain the connections with the resistor are solid, etc. If they're good then maybe it is the harness. I hope you find the cause and get it installed b/c its worth it.

TB2000
yea i have k&n a/f myron pullys 34 front 70 in rear and cobar short with pc. i just didnt know if the mod worked on 06 and newer bikes.
and what is this harness they talking about is it plug and play cause i seen the how to's to install by cutting the wires.
my last dyno said around 110-116 hp and that was a washenaw communty college dyno in mich.

Thanks Tom and Woody. The commonality between the two parts you guys linked to is the fact that they are both "through hole resistors". That's what I was missing in my search. Considering there were six categories listed under resistors, it's no wonder I was looking in the wrong places.

Based on the various links Smed and Bill posted, plus the post from electronics genius whoaru99, I knew the key specs:

430-450 ohm
1/2 watt
1% tolerance
film type

So I went with

http://search.digikey.com/us/en/products/SFR16S0004320FR500/PPC432XCT-ND/594825

I got 10 of them since the unit price was so low, and would be happy to share the spares (assuming I don't ruin them all trying to get it right).

If I had that issue, I'd rewire the harness to the original straight-through setup, without the resistor, and see if everything works fine that way.

As smed suggested, it could be bad resistor. Or it could be a bad connector. Or quite a few other things. Basically, you need to narrow it down a bit. I'll be plugging my harness in directly, prior to making any changes with the resistor, to make sure nothing funky happens. If everything still works, then I'll tackle wiring the resistor in.

TB2000
yea i have k&n a/f myron pullys 34 front 70 in rear and cobar short with pc. i just didnt know if the mod worked on 06 and newer bikes.
and what is this harness they talking about is it plug and play cause i seen the how to's to install by cutting the wires.
my last dyno said around 110-116 hp and that was a washenaw communty college dyno in mich.
Ophidia said it made a noticeable difference with his '06 limited, so chances are it could work with yours. The harness allows you to plug-n-play versus splicing into the bikes wiring. A harness is $35 and can be found at this link:

http://www.calsportbike.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?cart_id=1383205.30631&pid=1612&count=1

Click on the drop down menu and choose Kawasaki 2 plug-n-go

Ditto

Dogg

I did the resistor mod tonight and lost my speedo as well. Were you able to find a fix?

Thanks

Spock
I haven't messed with it since it screwed up my speedo. I may play with it later on but not right now. If you do find a fix please email me with it.

When it getts hot enough outside that I don't want to ride I will probably look at it then.
Dogg

Spock
I haven't messed with it since it screwed up my speedo. I may play with it later on but not right now. If you do find a fix please email me with it.

When it getts hot enough outside that I don't want to ride I will probably look at it then.
Dogg
It dont get hot enough to not ride. Speshly up that far north.;+)

Spock

Dogg
I took off the modified speedo healer/resistor. All still works fine. I'll look at the connector tonight.

Guys, You got the wrong cable. The one you want is a little bit to one side of the one you messed with. The plugs are the same but the wire colors are different

I don't remember now because it was a few years back but I think it has a blue or green wire in it.

Discussion starter · #79 ·
2004 2005 including Limited ignition advances 51 degrees @ 4000 RPM

2006 2007 advances 26 degrees @ 4450 RPM

2008 09 10 advance 43 degrees @ 4250 RPM.

Yes will help increase quickness in all gears not just 5TH gear but as you can see the 04 05 will be quicker.

The 06 07 is hardly noticeable
Only on the 06 and 07 is it not really worth doing...

61 - 80 of 115 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.