Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

5th gear Resistor Mod

43K views 114 replies 30 participants last post by  VULCAN MODS 
#1 ·
#4 ·
that's kinda my understanding also Paul.

I hadn't heard about this yet, since it really only affects the 04 and early 05 models. (Although, apparently it will help all years, just not to the same extreme).

From what I understand, a chip in the bike limits the amount of hp gears 1-4 are allowed to produce.

I guess Kawi thought the bike had TO much power, so they limited it. Only it was TO much of a limit at first. With the 06 and 07 models, they increased the amount the gears could produce. And from what I understand, with the 08+ models, it was toned back down some (but not to the extent of the 04's).

so anyways, the procedure is a way to trick the chip into always thinking it's in 5th gear.. so it's not clamping down on the power.

Maybe Bare will explain it in layman terms...

#10 · (Edited)
06 07 only advances 25 degrees where as 04 05 advances 51 degress 08 09 10 advances 43 degrees. they could not make up there minds..engineers, designers, warranty dept and sales where like the Goverment could not agree.
2008 + no resistor mod necessary the ignition advances the same in all gears, it seems KAWA learned from us.

In short the 430 Ohm resistor replaces all the resistors in 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th gears, result the ECU thinks it's in 5th gear in any gear Walla more power in the four gears.
I have lots of resistor anybody need one send me a self address/stamped envelop will mail you one. Call me or Email me 803-981-2911 or bare@bellsouth.net
Bare

#5 ·
A little more explanation and pics of the actual proceedure would be nice for those of us that are electrically/mechnically challenged, would help me. Since I have a 05 I would definetly be interested in doing this if I was sure I was doing it right.

#6 · (Edited)
#7 ·
Interesting. I read the entire 6 pages of that thread. I understand more what the are talking about.

if you read the entire thread, it will talk (and show) a harness that can be used instead of cutting/splicing engine wires (You cut and splice on the harness instead). Cost $35, but makes it so you can plug/unplug it.

My bike is an 04, so I'm going to attempt this.

I bought this bike in early 05 (i'm original owner). Strange I never heard about this before.

#21 ·
You guys might be right...From what I understand its 1st -4th and with 51-degrees on the 04-05s you should feel a substantial difference..On my 06 there may have been a difference but nothing like the earlier models..People are saying the 09s are 41ish advanced in 5th so you might feel something....Even 27 degrees sounds like a lot of advanced timing to me that's why I did it...The real reason I took it off was because my damn FI light came on after I installed it 5-10 minutes into a ride.. The light never came back on after I took it out...I followed the directions to the T...I know I had it right..Checked the resistance and it was within specs..So All I can think is that the bike was thinking I wasn't shifting down at certain speeds and threw a light....Nobody else seemed to have the same problem so it's kinda making it look like I did something wrong...:\...Pretty sure i didn't....04-05 models I would do it, 06-07 I would still try it and might do it again I don't think it hurt the bike but I just didn't like the FI light coming on esp. on long trips..09-10s As long as you do it right and make it so you can take it off it doesn't hurt to try it......

#22 ·
So, the rain we had last week finally went away Monday. It's clear sky's and close to 70 this week.

I used the harness method to build the resistor thingy-a-bob and finally installed it yesterday. I drove it to the gas station about a mile from my house and back.

The butt-dyno could tell a difference. Both in performance and in sound. I think the key thing was.. when I took off, I spun the back tire. It's never done that before. (Remember, I have an 04, which is the severely timing/retarded model).

I didn't take it out for a real ride/test though. To a southern born and raised boy, mid 60's is still mid 60's and i didn't feel like putting on my contacts and gearing up for a longer ride.

#36 ·
I used the harness method to build the resistor thingy-a-bob
Hey, smed, where did you get the connectors to make the harness? If (when) I do it, I'd like to be able to undo it.

Also, have you had a chance to do further "research"? What do you think so far? Any effect on mileage?

#23 ·
For those who remember from a few other topics thread/conversations, I've talked before about how, when me and my friends "race", every single one of them will be off the line faster than me. About the time I'm hitting third is when I'm passing them.

The other v2k riders here said they didn't have that issue. I thought maybe it was just me, not doing something right.

I'm going to assume this is the reason. No matter how I rode it, or what modifications i did to it, the timing in those lower gears was simply too reduced...

#24 ·
!%?#

did the speedo healer mod with resistor today following directions posted in the forum. On my bike I really didn't feel a change. What I did get was the speedometer stopped woking! This was on an 05, don't know the production date.

Anyone interested in doing this mod, i have a speedo healer with resistor I'll sell for $25 shipped.
Dogg

#28 ·
sorry for beating this topic to death :mad: but I am going to do the resistor mod using the harness method as well. I called Radio Shack here in town and they only had a 470 Ohm 1/2 watt resistor. Will that resistor work? Or do I need a 1 watt? Thanks in advance!

#29 ·
go back to post 10, contact 2k (also know as "bare")

he will send you a couple of them.

I myself, had about 200 of them. I got them online, and can't buy just 1, have a 20 minimum order.. hence the 200 of them. I can not for the life of me find them though. I blame the misses (don't tell her i said that though).

#31 · (Edited)
Quantity of one of either 432 ohm or 442 ohm, 1/2 watt, 1% tolerance resistors can be ordered from Digi-Key for $0.17 each.

I don't believe there is any minimum order nor any handling fee, but they may charge sales tax. Also, they will ship USPS First Class mail for small items so shipping isn't that much either.

So, if you don't have a local source you can get just one for roughly $3.00 to your door. Probably can't even drive to the local electronics store for less than that.

#43 ·
By the way, exchanged emails with Bare and he's all out of those resistors, so I'm going to give Digikey a try if the local Radioshack doesn't have anything. I'm not too worried about the cost of gas to drive to Radioshack. It's as good a reason as any to take the bike out.

#33 · (Edited)
Yes, any series or parallel or series & parallel combination that equals the right total value will work just peachy too.

Series is easy...add up the individual values. Rs = R1+R2+R3...

Parallel is a bit more complex...parallel resistance is the reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocals of the individual values. Rp = 1/(1/R1+1/R2+1/R3...)

Total then for a series & parallel string, Rt = Rs + Rp

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.