Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
only have 5800 miles on my 08 classic. I go in for my first inspection and come to find out i need a new tire. At the shop they said it runs from 150 to 200 dollars for a new tire depending on brand. Check the air pressure frequently and its always where it needs to be. Just wondering what could have caused this.

And if so wheres the best price for a 08 900 tire? I believe the number for it is 273

·
Registered
533 Posts
My rear tire on my '07 LT was less than 2mm at 5400 miles!! My advice to you is to get away from those stock Dunlop tires. The original size in the 404 is only available through a Kawasaki dealer. I've never found anywhere that sells that tire in the OEM 180/70-15 size. If you wish to stay stock size, you'll have to go with either the Metzeler 880 or the Pirelli MT66TOUR. These are available through several sources on the web, like www.motorcycle-superstore.com . Shipping is usually free. Check out indy shops who will often give you very good buys on tires and mounting. I chose the Pirellis for my bike, now with 5000 miles on them and the rear looks like it's almost new. If you want to go with a 170/80/15 on the rear, there are several other tires available, and that size tire will help cure the speedometer error.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I went with the Metz from Denniskirk.com and so far it's an awesome tire. With the stock tire my biked tracked really bad in pavement grooves and even paint lines. With the Metz, it's very stable. DK had the best price that I could find online.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I have to agree. My rear went at 7500 (I guess I was lucky) and after a bit of research I went with the Metzer 880. So far I really like it. It's feels a little les squirrely nd my front will be due within the next 500-1000 miles (that really surprised me). Adios Dunlap!!!

·
Registered
176 Posts
I've got about 7200mi on my original Dunlaps and will need a new rear tire this winter. I've heard alot of good things about Avon tires from some of my riding buddies, anyone here used them or have opinions on them? They have a Venom AM42 200/70-15 83H that looks like it should fit.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Tire pressure seems to the key to tire longevity. Replaced the rear tire with a Metzler 880 at 5000 miles and now I need to replace the front. It has 7500 miles on it so far. My mechanic told me he runs his tires at 40psi which is higher than Kawasaki recommends. But at a cost of around $180.00 per tire installed I am going to try 40 PSI and see how things go. I am retired Air Force and buy my tires through the BX which saves me about $15-$20 per tire. The BX links to Cycle gear.com who give us a military discount and no sales tax.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Thanks for the tip on cyclegear.com... They have a store here... a BIG store...
USAF...Ret
(Fresh Choice gives a decent military discount as well)...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Glad I could help. Up here in Northern Michigan we don't have a lot of stores to shop at, our only big store is a Wal_Mart, otherwise we have to drive fifty miles to Bay City. I'll check out Fresh Choice as well. I am going to miss this forum if I do go through with getting a Victory next spring. It is helpful and active. The Victory Forums I have gone to so far are not nearly as active. Of course Victorys are fairly new bikes, so that probably has a lot to do with it.

·
Registered
369 Posts
i have 15000 miles on my bike and i still have the same front tire with tread to spare. i keep my psi at 40 on both tires and they seem to last. now the manual calls for you to stay with dunlop after the stock tire has worn but i dont see what the big deal is for switching. i went with the metzler at 10000 miles on my back tire, so far put 5000 miles on it and doesnt seem to have worn any tread off yet.

·
Registered
74 Posts
i have 15000 miles on my bike and i still have the same front tire with tread to spare. i keep my psi at 40 on both tires and they seem to last. now the manual calls for you to stay with dunlop after the stock tire has worn but i dont see what the big deal is for switching. i went with the metzler at 10000 miles on my back tire, so far put 5000 miles on it and doesnt seem to have worn any tread off yet.
Did you stick with the stock tire size or change?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Below is an inquiry to Dunlop about tire interchangeability with an Dunlap Elite 3 (suppose to be a long wearing tire) that I didn't get an answer on. But I also asked about the air pressure on the stock tires. Interesting that they recommend a higher pressure on the rear (just like everyone has been saying) but a lower pressure on the front. Kawasaki say 40 psi for the front and Dunlop says 32 psi on the front. Regardless of load Dunlop recommends same pressure for all riding conditiions. My guess is Dunlop is looking at the tire pressure issue from wear standpoint and Kawasaki is looking more at the contact patch for handling conditions. Obviously lower pressure will give more tire contact but, you pay for it in tires that don't last very long.

* Dunlop Tire Contact Form Submission *
Comments :
I have a 2007 Kawasaki Vulcan VN 900 Custom, will a Elite 3 Bias MV-85B15
fit my bike? Original tire is a D404 180/70-15.
My original tire needs replacement after ~7500 mi, this seems low to me, I
am older and don't burn rubber or abuse the tires. I have heard that the
recommended tire pressure that Kawasaki lists in their operators manual
(which calls for 28-32psi on the rear, depending on load) is to low and may be the problem. I would expect over 10,000 miles. Do you recommend that one pressure (38psi listed on this website) for all loads or should I follow Kawasaki recommendations?

Answer:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us with regards to trying to
change tire size. As the tire manufacturer, in most cases, we do not
recommend that you change sizes from what the original equipment size is.
Occasionally, there are exceptions, however, we suggest that you contact
the vehicle manufacturer directly to see if they recommend the new size.
For the original equipment sizes of 80/90-21 front and 180/70-15 rear, we
suggest inflating your cold tires to 32 psi front and 38 psi rear for all
loads and street conditions.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Based on all I have read here and people I have talked to I intend to run my tires at 38-40 p.s.i. until someone gives me a compelling reason to do otherwise. I am tired of using the "Kawasaki recommended" pressures and replacing tires twice as often as those that run at 40p.s.i. or slightly less.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I only got 6800 kms/4225 miles off my rear tire, i changed to a bridgestone Excedra and this seems to give good handling and good life as well so far i'm at 13500 kms now and the tire still looks good.
I must admit i'm a little heavy handed on the throttle, bikers in South Africa get left pretty much alone by the cops, so they don't really bother us. Mind you they usually don't bother doing anything anyway

1 - 17 of 17 Posts