Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2007 Vulcan 500 I bought last weekend hadn't been run in awhile. I rinsed the tank out to get it going, it looked clean. I put fresh fuel in the tank and filled the carbs with gas and let it sit. I installed new spark plugs. I drained the carbs out with a cloth under them for visual inspection. Gas came out clean. After that, the bike was stubborn to start up in prime mode showing no signs of life so I pulled the air filter out and gave it some starting fluid to get it going. It ran like it was starving for gas for a few minutes and then revved up like it should, ran perfect and idled like a top. Ten minutes later, it was running poorly and not taking any throttle. It's also spitting and backfiring through one of the carbs. Bike will only idle and won't take any throttle.

I pulled the carbs off and went through them this morning since it acts like it has a fuel starvation problem when opening the throttle. Before I pulled the carbs out, I sprayed WD-40 around the boots and passed the air leak test. The carbs are very clean, no tarnish, no clogged jets or anything suspect. Both floats look good.

It runs like it has a fuel starvation problem. Now that I've had a look at the carbs, it makes me think it has a timing problem or vacuum issue. The bike only has 2600 miles on it and was well kept.

I would appreciate some input on the troubleshooting. I have not reinstalled the carbs yet. Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: I put the carb set back in and it ran the same. The old saying, "don't overlook the obvious". I left the original air filter out when I first got it running last weekend since I ordered a new one. That was the problem, I forgot about it. I put it back in and now it's revving up like a champ. Two things, a lesson learned about the air filter and at least I know the carbs are clean!

I plan on replacing the dry rotted front tire and when weather permitting in central Virginia, taking it for my first spin! Many years ago I bought a 1974 Yamaha TX500 twin. I can't get over how much they sound alike. I love the sound of a parallel twin!

I would like to know, would it be worth my effort to install an inline fuel filter? Thank you for the input.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts