Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, I have a vn900 classic. I traded in my beloved 07 650R in for it, as the GF wasn't a fan of riding on the 'gentleman's sportbike'.

The 500 mile break in service is coming fast (the bike is a summer dd for me, and a fun vehicle to boot) and I'm wondering if there's any how-tos for it out there, and I did check the 'how to' section... looks kinda like a tech section to me... but I digress.

I know how to change the oil and all, but checking belt tension, and funny bolts and stuff I never knew existed for tightnes would be nice to know the locations of and torque specs of said bolts.

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
27 Posts
There is a special tool to check the belt tightness and if I remember correctly a table in the shop manual that lists the torques on the all bolts.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have an appointment with my 09 Classic this next week for the 600 mile oil change. When I purchased the bike I had to sign a document saying that the dealership would do the first oil change or the warrantee would be voided. If you had to sign the same such document you may want to have the dealership do the 1st oil change.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
For the belt tightness, is there a 'diy' method to it with no special tools? It adjusts the same way as 'chain bikes' do from what I've looked at it.

I have an appointment with my 09 Classic this next week for the 600 mile oil change. When I purchased the bike I had to sign a document saying that the dealership would do the first oil change or the warrantee would be voided. If you had to sign the same such document you may want to have the dealership do the 1st oil change.
nope...no silly document.

Anyone know the best place for a good deal on a factory service manual?<no ebay cd crap

Also how do ya remove oil fill cap? It looks like I could put a screwdriver in there, but it'd scratch it all up really fast.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess some guys use an old washer to remove the oil fill cap...
also found a link where I can install a brighter brake light, oil filter PNs, etc... holy crap I feel edumacated! <misspelled on purpose

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
For the belt tightness, is there a 'diy' method to it with no special tools? It adjusts the same way as 'chain bikes' do from what I've looked at it.

nope...no silly document.

Anyone know the best place for a good deal on a factory service manual?<no ebay cd crap

Also how do ya remove oil fill cap? It looks like I could put a screwdriver in there, but it'd scratch it all up really fast.
I haven't done it yet, but in your tool kit there's a hook wrench for adjusting the rear shock. It looks like the back side of this little thing will fit into the oil fill cap. Might be easier than using a big washer.

I have a giant screwdriver that, every time it comes out, something gets broken or at least severely messed up. It will probably never come near my bike.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do our 900s have this 'prefilter screen' that the bigger vulcans have?
Seems to me that's where the oil fill sight glass is on the 900s... hmmm...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts