Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I searched and there are a lot of threads on the subject but they all involve complete fork tear down. I spent 30 years in automotive and on a lot of seal leaks it was in the interest to save the customer a LOT of money by replacing the seal without a complete disassembly of the leaking unit. (yes, MOST mechanics really are HONEST!) Most times you can use a sharp scratch awl and poke a hole in opposing sides of the metal part of the seal. Run a sheet metal screw into each hole then use a pair of screwdrivers to pry the seal out then just drive in the new seal if the shaft is OK. Power steering gearboxes are where I saved people the most money. Maybe 1.0 labor vs 3.0 or more for tear down.

Once the seal snap ring is pulled does anyone see a reason this method wouldn't work on the bike forks? I'm smart enough not to scratch the forks. I just don't have a clean area to do a tear down and honestly don't want to anyway. The bike has over 50K miles but it's all good road miles. The bushings should be fine. I don't want to yank it all apart and risk damaging parts that were OK to start with. I have the seal kit and the oil. Can't afford to have a shop do the work right now.I tried the Sealmate plastic and it didn't work. It stuck on me and I think tore the seal as the fork leaks worse now. :crying2:

1 - 1 of 1 Posts