Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after 4400 miles my rear tire was completely bald.

So I made the upgrade to a set of Pirelli Night Dragons.

Allthough I thought the stealership treated me fair when I saw the total

WTF two MC Tires

$ 106 Front Tire
$ 206 200 70 15 Rear
$ 80 Mounting
$ 28 Rear tube for bigger tire he may have gotten me here
$ 18 Dyna Beads Latest greatest balancing
Plus Tax
Total $ 477 dollars oh the wife unit is gonna kill me.

·
Registered
224 Posts
yeah,sounds about average for a shop if they remove/reinstall wheels along with the rest,although the initial look at the total can be a shocker! I think I recently paid about $28 for my rear tube for the original size. Try americanmototire.com next time you need tires. I have found them to be the cheapest with free shipping and within a week delivery time once they receive the order

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Agreed, those prices sound reasonable for paying a shop to do the work and provide the parts. You can knock a good portion off by ordering parts to the house and learning to do the work, but otherwise those prices are not out of line.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah the tire prices were the same as I could get them for off the internet.

And now that I found out about these Dyna Beads I may do the next one myself.

·
Registered
217 Posts
You paid the dealership $126 mount and balance two new tires. I see a Pirelli Night Dragon Bias and Radial Ply Rear Tire - 200/70-15 for $217and a 130/90-16M/C 67H front Dunlap tire for $125 both at Cheap cycle parts.com. So you saved $30 by not buying on line. If the dealership R and R the wheels for you and readjusted the drive belt I would have to think the labor price is fair. I suggest you give your wife the $30 you saved for being a smart buyer.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Total $ 477 dollars oh the wife unit is gonna kill me.
Its a fair price but your right, she is gonna kill you.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Wait until she finds out you spend that much every 10-12K miles, instead of four tires every 60-70K on a car for about the same money.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
I pull my own wheels and take them to cyclegear for mount n balance $20each. Also buy the tires there when on sale. last year picked up 2 complete sets 240rear, 150front metz880s(german)for $6c notes out the door. so, $340 pair total, but do my own grunt work. gives me a chance to inspect and clean the cavities. I dont like nobody touching my skoot. not even wheels and belts. them kids can learn on their own bikes, not mine.

·
Registered
451 Posts
The Motorcycle Superstore recommended shop in Walla Walla WA charges $100 to do both tires, including removal from bike, install and balance tires, reinstall, tension belt, and align.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Wow, I'm lucky. I have a friend who is a very good bike mechanic who does work for me at his home. Front and rear Kenda Kruz, two new heavy duty tubes, labor, $240.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Yeah the tire prices were the same as I could get them for off the internet.

And now that I found out about these Dyna Beads I may do the next one myself.
The dyna beads last forever and can be used again and again. I'm guessing you have a Classic so need tubes. Now that the beads are in the tubes you're good to go the next time. I have the Night Dragons too and love 'em.
RTL Rider, take a look at this website www.innovativebalancing.com and judge for yourself. I have them in all my bikes.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
When I replaced my first tire (rear @8800 miles) I invested $70 in a MC jack and pulled the wheel myself. Since my local shop charges $55 for Mount and Balance if you drive in and only $15 if you bring the wheel in, when I replaced the front tire, the jack had paid for itself. It also makes a lot of maintenance jobs easier. Even you pay more for a better quality unit, it's well worth the price.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
sjb, that jack will pay for itself every time you put it under the bike(s). which will be many and often. now that you can, you will do much yor own maintenance. good tools are money goodly spent.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
When I replaced my first tire (rear @8800 miles) I invested $70 in a MC jack and pulled the wheel myself. Since my local shop charges $55 for Mount and Balance if you drive in and only $15 if you bring the wheel in, when I replaced the front tire, the jack had paid for itself. It also makes a lot of maintenance jobs easier. Even you pay more for a better quality unit, it's well worth the price.
Sounds like a good idea...

Rod

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
$80 for mounts isn't terrible, but you couldn't give me dyna-beads. No way I'd pay $28 for 'em.

·
Registered
492 Posts
That price is right in line with what I've been paying. It was a bit if a shock to me as to how fast I go through tires! I go through a set a year. Luckily I change them one at a time so my wife doesn't have a fit!

My last tire cost me $193.70 installed. It's a ME880 on the rear of my 900 Custom. It was only 20 bucks more than the stock Dunlop.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts