Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for any ideas as to what would cause my 900 custom to bounce in the front end. Starts at about 32 mph, worst at 40 and clears after 50 mph. Anything above 50 is smooth as glass. Anything below 30 smooth.

???????

·
Registered
78 Posts
Looking for any ideas as to what would cause my 900 custom to bounce in the front end. Starts at about 32 mph, worst at 40 and clears after 50 mph. Anything above 50 is smooth as glass. Anything below 30 smooth.

???????
Start with the easy, obvious...

Tire misbalanced, tire out of round, Wheel out of balance, or bent....

·
Registered
536 Posts
Weights can fall of the rim and the tire is no longer balanced. How many miles on the tire? I have seen tires go out of round and hop like that.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Just to be clear, can you clarify what you are feeling based on these 2 definitions:

Bounce: (of an object, especially a ball) move quickly up, back, or away from a surface after hitting it; rebound (once or repeatedly); or, (of a person) jump repeatedly up and down, typically on something springy.

Shake: move (an object) up and down or from side to side with rapid, forceful, jerky movements.

If your bike is bouncing, then something is up with your suspension since it is the only thing on the bike which can rebound. However, if you are feeling something much more rapid, then I would suspect some sort vibration being produced by the bike at 40 MPH.

These VN900's do have an inherent vibration which comes and goes as it powers through the RPM's. This is normal. Where do you feel the oddity the most? In the legs? Arms?

I feel more information is needed from the PO. Thanks!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just to be clear, can you clarify what you are feeling based on these 2 definitions:

Bounce: (of an object, especially a ball) move quickly up, back, or away from a surface after hitting it; rebound (once or repeatedly); or, (of a person) jump repeatedly up and down, typically on something springy.

Shake: move (an object) up and down or from side to side with rapid, forceful, jerky movements.

If your bike is bouncing, then something is up with your suspension since it is the only thing on the bike which can rebound. However, if you are feeling something much more rapid, then I would suspect some sort vibration being produced by the bike at 40 MPH.

These VN900's do have an inherent vibration which comes and goes as it powers through the RPM's. This is normal. Where do you feel the oddity the most? In the legs? Arms?

I feel more information is needed from the PO. Thanks!
This is most definitely a bounce. I also feel the 900 vibration as I power through the rpms. I'm good with that. But this other this. Definitely a bounce.

Bike has 9500+/- mikes. Fork seals are supple but showing signs of age. No fluid leak.

If I get on the throttle to get some where I don't feel it cause it speeds up to quick. But as soon as I ease off and drop into that speed range its back. Enough so that my helmet bounces a little.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I doubt what the PO is feeling is a bounce. Motorcycles don't bounce (well, I suppose they could if dropped high enough). A tire bounces and a ball bounces. The only aspect of a bike which could feel like a bounce is the rebound from the suspension suspension.

If a tire is out of balance, that's going to produce a vibration felt either in the handlebars from the front tire or in the seat from the back tire.

Either the PO is trolling us or something. We need more details than, "My helmet moves from the bounce".

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I doubt what the PO is feeling is a bounce. Motorcycles don't bounce (well, I suppose they could if dropped high enough). A tire bounces and a ball bounces. The only aspect of a bike which could feel like a bounce is the rebound from the suspension suspension.

If a tire is out of balance, that's going to produce a vibration felt either in the handlebars from the front tire or in the seat from the back tire.

Either the PO is trolling us or something. We need more details than, "My helmet moves from the bounce".
Bounce. A repeated up and down motion felt in the handle bars with enough energy to cause my head to bobble from front to back. This happens at those speeds whether under load or not. I have engaged the clutch and released the throttle to rule out a drive train issue. Definitely front end.

·
Registered
814 Posts

Don't think there's any trolling here, just a difference in the way of explaining things. If you've ever noticed a trailer tire that is either out of round or seriously out of balance, certain speeds will cause the trailer to "bounce" (that's the word I'd use) more severely than others, and a much higher speed may smooth things out some. I don't see why a motorcycle tire would be any different. Just semantics.

·
Living The Dream
1,512 Posts
I used to feel the same thing in my front end before I put new tires on. Could have been either out of balance or simply low tread. Just didn't have a good grip on the road surface. Mine still had some life left in them when replaced but not much. But I also only felt it in the corners.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

You know I'm don't claim to be tech savvy. I can build computers not not good with software. I could ride curves at 90+ mph. I'm pretty good at doing all my own mechanical work.

I've heard this term thrown around on the net but never knew what it went. Well I looked it up. Funny I got some good honest feedback from an honest question.

Here's what I found

In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,[1] by posting inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[4]

Funny thing. thats exactly what you did. You came in and instead of being positive and helpful. You stirred crap up. Thank you mister troll

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
And I'm sorry if that offended anyone. But it was a serious question that I asked with the terms I knew best to describe the issue. the tire appears to be in good condition good tread and treadwear. No cupping is found on the tire. So I'm thinking the forks need tuned. Thank you for your answers.

·
Registered
918 Posts
You know I'm don't claim to be tech savvy. I can build computers not not good with software. I could ride curves at 90+ mph. I'm pretty good at doing all my own mechanical work.

I've heard this term thrown around on the net but never knew what it went. Well I looked it up. Funny I got some good honest feedback from an honest question.

Here's what I found

In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,[1] by posting inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[4]

Funny thing. thats exactly what you did. You came in and instead of being positive and helpful. You stirred crap up. Thank you mister troll
Nope, not trolling. I was merely trying to figure out what you were feeling while riding at 40 mph. To me, a bounce is a drastic, slower up/down motion like jumping on a trampoline, vibrations are much less drastic, but faster in pace like riding over rumble strips and shakes/shimmies are in between.

Also, instead of jumping to conclusions based on a single post, maybe you should clarify what I was going after. I am not here to debate, incite bad feelings, or anything negative. I was merely trying to get a better picture and understanding of what you are experiencing. I am by no means a troll. Trolls deliberately incite bad feelings from others for the fun of it. I don't do that (unless we are discussing Harley's or Apple products). I may be a misunderstood individual, but I'm no troll.

I'm sorry if you felt my posting was counter productive and trollish.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.