Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put about 360 miles on my 2012, 900 Custom this weekend.

Saturday afternoon I noticed a high pitched whistle between 40 and 60 mph.

It sounds kind of like wind whistling across something, but I can't figure what. And I've never heard this sound before.

Any ideas of what it could be???

Thank you.

Tim

·
Registered
256 Posts
Had that sound as well but it took awhile for me to realize that it was my helmet. My helmet has a smoked color visor in addition to the shield. On top of the helmet is a latch that you slide to lower and raise the visor. I put my hand on the latch while riding one day and the sound went away as i blocked the wind to the latch. Than i realized after several other wind blocking movements to the latch that the whistling noise was the wind hitting my helmet latch. It wasn't the bike. This happened at highway speeds when i heard the whistling.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Saturday afternoon I noticed a high pitched whistle between 40 and 60 mph. It sounds kind of like wind whistling across something, but I can't figure what. And I've never heard this sound before. Any ideas of what it could be??? Thank you. Tim
n9c,, I have that same problem. turns out that I bought a new flip front helmet with flip up shield.. with the chin bar down and the shield up, at certain angle it can create a high freq whistle, low intensity. it being the newest thing, and not the bike, I adjusted my head angle and it stopped. so I adjusted the flip up angle and it stopped.. try looking if this mite be the source of your train whistle. poncho

·
Registered
847 Posts
Some of the older bikes 06 07 had stator problems but I think the sound is different. The Stator will let you know where it comes from.

·
Registered
235 Posts
skorepeo,

Why would you think it's the stator?

I'm pretty new to motorcycles.

Is there anything else I should be looking for, or listening to?

Thanks!
I had a whistle sound thought something was stuck in the intake. sounded like a low pitch whistle like air trying to get past something. turned out to be the stator going out. so how many miles on the bike?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had a whistle sound thought something was stuck in the intake. sounded like a low pitch whistle like air trying to get past something. turned out to be the stator going out. so how many miles on the bike?
I bought the bike new last April, and it's got about 4300 miles on it now.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
I can't imagine with only 4300 miles that it's a stator, especially as new as the bike is. As sage said, the 06,07's were notorious for it, but it was remedied from 08 on. Plus if it was the stator it would do it at pretty much any speed and if I'm not mistaken the sound would change with RPM. I've had bikes where the throttle/clutch cables would cause a whistle when at speed, as Poncho stated could be the helmet. Change helmets and go for a ride and see if it's still there. If not, you got your answer. If so, then try and pinpoint what area it's coming from to narrow it down.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Its your bikes gaurdian angel admiring your bike.
Generally the stator will Wine/Worl at all engine speeds in or out of gear.

·
Registered
729 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm actually thinking about replacing the 900 Custom with a clean 2007 Vulcan Nomad 1600.
If that deal doesn't pan out, I'll soon be installing the V&H exhaust.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts