Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
If it doesn't install directly to the tranny I don't see this 100% accurate.

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
Sounds like a good idea. Most of the others only work when the clutch is engaged. I might give it a try.

·
Registered
273 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I suppose for $40 it's worth trying. I'm also always shooting for 6th gear. I could be riding at 65mph for 20 minutes and feel the need to check for another gear. But my last bike ('77 GS750) had a gear indicator and it didn't stop me from looking for 6th gear. If I had a 6th, I'd constantly be shooting for 7th!

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
I ordered one at 7:40 last night, and received a notice at 11:19 last night that it had been shipped!
I guess I'll be the first guinea pig on this one.:D

·
Registered
782 Posts
This looks like a proximity switch counter. When the upper prox reads the magnet, it adds 1. When the lower prox reads the magnet, it subtracts 1. The only problem will be the times when you move the lever, but for whatever reason, the bike doesn't actually shift. There are times when I go from first into neutral and have to shift again to get into second. There are also times when shifting down, the pedal moves but the bike doesn't actually change gears. I have to let out on the clutch some and then she will shift properly. This kind of movement could get this counter device out of sink. I'm not sure what you would have to do to get it back on track. Maybe as simple as shifting down to first. Maybe as complicated as having to stop and cut off the bike to reset it. But since it is not actually hooked to the tranny or the CPU, then I can't see how it will 100% always stay in sink.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am like the others, I often look for sixth. Sometimes I do it more than once.....just because....oh well. I am interested in how well this works also. Speaking of quirky bike items. I just ordered a magnet to possibly help me on a particluar stop light I always get stuck sitting at. Has anyone tried any of those red light magnets?

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
so did it work? or was it a waist of money
Well, I got mine, and to say it's kind of chintzy looking would be kind! I'll put up a pic.
I laid it out on a piece of cardboard and powered it up with a 9v battery.
I like the way it counts up and down thru the gears, but it also has a wire for a neutral signal. If you put that wire to ground, you will get a "N" indication.
However, the only neutral signal I see that you could tap into would be the neutral lamp, which is 12v positive.
Now, you could take that signal and trigger a relay with it, with a ground going thru the relay. Run the neutral wire to the relay and that would work.

You have to fabricate a plate to mount the proximity switches on, and also fabricate an arm to attach the triggering magnet to, and have that arm attached to some part of the shift linkage. Trying to figure out a place to put all that on the 900 which would be unobtrusive, and protected from the road, boots, and the elements is the real challenge.

Bottom line, and moral of the story: I have a Heal Tech GIPRO-DS on order!

·
BOTM Winner, December 2013
1,172 Posts
my 83 650 nighthawk had a 6 speed and a digital gear indicator.....funny how it didnt stop me from lookin for 7th !!! lol

·
Registered
451 Posts
I'd be happy if I could figure out how to make the neutral lamp light up in high gear, like some harleys do. That would be enough for me.

·
Registered
273 Posts
neutral light in 5th

That is a great idea. I'm sure someone on the forum with more knowledge than me can tell us how to make the neutral light shine when the bike is in
5th (top gear) like some HD models do? I find myself trying to shift up all the time thinking there is a 6th.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Bottom line, and moral of the story: I have a Heal Tech GIPRO-DS on order![/QUOTE]
Hi Paco,
Definitely looks much better.
could you let us know how this one connects and to what?
(it says only 1 connection under the seat...)
I know it sounds like i am not willing to take too many risks but as you already decided to get one...
thanks

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
Hi Paco,
I know it sounds like i am not willing to take too many risks but as you already decided to get one...
thanks[/QUOTE]

I'll post a pic when I get it and install it. Originally I was turned-off to the fact that the ones on the market like the Heal Tech only worked when you were moving and the clutch is engaged, but since most of us really only care about whether we're in fifth gear this should work fine.

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
Hi Paco,
thanks[/QUOTE]

Hey Frenchy, The GIpro-DS is on this link:

http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19167

1 - 20 of 20 Posts