Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I thought this might help anyone trying to decide on what tyre to use in this size range,

Tyre on the left is original Dunlop 180x70x15. Got about 6,100Klms out of it.

Tyre in middle is Pirelli Night Dragon in same size 180x70x15. It was wider and higher than Dunlop and geared the bike up a little bit, got speedo a bit closer and dropped revs very slightly. Gripped well in dry but not great in wet. Wore a lot better than Dunlop as well, got 10,400Klms out of it. I was putting down more power and giving it a lot more than I did on the Dunlop as well, so it stood up to it quite well.

Now the Tyre on the right is New just fitted and not ridden on or tested yet.
It is a MICHELIN COMMANDER II 170x80x15. So technically it should be narrower, which it isn't, I would say its wider. But look at the height difference with this tyre, yes its on rim and pumped up, but its still a huge height difference compared to the other two tyres. Haven't ridden on it yet as weather is a bit ordinary here at moment. I hope it doesn't gear the bike up to high. It supposed to get double the mileage as well, hopefully double of the Pirelli and not the Dunlop Will report when I have ridden on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
415 Posts
Thats a helpful comparison, doesn't the michelin come in a 180? I wonder how the metezler would compare with your three?...thanks..wally

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ok I will go take some photos as I have fitted it now.

Thats a helpful comparison, doesn't the michelin come in a 180? I wonder how the metezler would compare with your three?...thanks..wally
Its a 170x80x15 Commander11, no it doesn't come in a 180.

Ok here is some photos of wheel back on.

Attachments

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you getting any rubbing? That tire does look nice.
I have not ridden on it yet, but it has plenty of clearance and heaps of other people on here have fitted this size tyre with no issues at all.
Looking at the bike in real life with this tyre on it does look heaps bigger than the last 2 tyres I have had on it.
Cant wait to try it on road, if it would just stop pouring rain.

·
Registered
415 Posts
The stock dunlop says 7" wide on their website, your tire is 7.36" wide, i wonder how much higher it is, 10mm is only 1/2" but it looks so much higher...good reviews on the michelins...ride safe...

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok I am 100% convinced now that this size tyre was what the 900 should have come with out of the factory and was probably designed to have. I have now ridden on it and its perfect for this bike, There is no loss of power/torque in any gear, but the gears are taller and much more useful. I think I hit 100 kph in second gear on 1 test take off and that was not max revs.
I rode uphill and down dale, lots of twisties and long straights at a fast as I can ride sort of speed, and this tyre sticks like glue, I thought the Pirelli was pretty good but this tyre makes it seem ordinary in comparison, the Pirelli had this funny feeling of slip at low speed leaning, like coming out of a driveway and turning onto road type situation but was good at higher speeds, and the Dunlop is not even close to either of them. If this tyre lasts twice as long as they say in the advertising then it is the perfect tyre. What the point of the stock 180 Dunlop that gears the bike to low, when you can put on a 170tyre that is wider than the 180 and gets the gearing spot on. Have not checked the speedo yet but I am pretty sure its a lot closer to being right.
Happy days.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Tyre comparison

I don't think I can run the 170-80 tire on my bike. I have the Baron's front pulley and that moves the tire forward some. I tried to measure the distance from the tire to the inner fender, it seems to be just over an inch...I could put the od rear pulley on and move the tire back some..

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't think I can run the 170-80 tire on my bike. I have the Baron's front pulley and that moves the tire forward some. I tried to measure the distance from the tire to the inner fender, it seems to be just over an inch...I could put the od rear pulley on and move the tire back some..
Yeah I have stock pulleys on mine. But I can say with the stock pulleys that this tyre is about 5 or 10 mm from that inner fender your talking about, so I reckon you might hit it.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Bump for update.

Have you worn the tire out yet? Or have you run past the mileage on the Dunlop? I'm thinking of ordering this for my next replacement. I've been running stock so far. Decent tire, but wears out so fast.

Thanks!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bump for update.

Have you worn the tire out yet? Or have you run past the mileage on the Dunlop? I'm thinking of ordering this for my next replacement. I've been running stock so far. Decent tire, but wears out so fast.

Thanks!
Hey thanks for asking.
No I have not worn out this tyre, it seems to be going on forever.
The Dunlop did 6100Klms. This tyre I put on after the Pirelli (which I didn't like at all) and bike had 16,527 when I fitted the Michelin, and now the bike has 25,324Klms and its nowhere near worn out, that's around 9,000 so far, so its easily going to do double the Dunlop Klms and more.
I will say it again, this is the size tyre the bike should have had from the factory, it gears the bike perfectly, and its wider than the 180 Dunlop anyway, even though its a 170. Its a great tyre wet or dry, I cannot fault it on this type of bike. This is the tyre I will always put on this bike from now on.
Hope that helps you.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Thanks for the info ghh. I was debating a barons front pulley but this seems like the ticket to accomplish two goals at once.

What's that actual diameter of the new tire? I'm curious about the circumference difference between the Dunlop and the Commander and then figuring the theoretical rpm difference between the two. (What? I like math).

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the info ghh. I was debating a barons front pulley but this seems like the ticket to accomplish two goals at once.

What's that actual diameter of the new tire? I'm curious about the circumference difference between the Dunlop and the Commander and then figuring the theoretical rpm difference between the two. (What? I like math).
Ok, I wish I had measured that when it was new.
Anyway I went and measured them for you using masking tape around the circumference, then peeling tape off and measure length of tape.
Both tyres are worn so it should give a fair indication of difference.

The Michelin circumference is 2045mm or 80.5 inches.
The Dunlop is 1900mm or 74.75 inches.

Let us know what you come up with in rev reduction.

·
Registered
125 Posts
OK...using the 80.5 and 74.75" c figures the rpms in 5th gear are lower by 285 rpm. If I use those same C to compare MPH/KPH theoretically at 3710 rpm you get 60.5mph/97.4kph with the dunlops, 64.3/103.5 dunlops with barons 34t front pulley and 65.2/104.9 with commander tire and stock front sprocket.

I've checked my work but it's getting late and I reserve the right to make any corrections needed later. :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Remember these are measured on used tire measurements so if you were to use new tire circumferences the data would change and the MPH per any given rpm would be increased.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
I don't know if you've seen this before, but here's a tire calculator that might help. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php
It gives measurements of all dimensions for any given tire size, and goes over RPMs comparisons etc.
I've used it a couple times in comparing what a tire's dimensions SHOULD present in real life. Obviously, if the listed 170mm is actually wider than the listed 180mm, then something's off somewhere.

Thanks for the update, GHH!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK...using the 80.5 and 74.75" c figures the rpms in 5th gear are lower by 285 rpm. If I use those same C to compare MPH/KPH theoretically at 3710 rpm you get 60.5mph/97.4kph with the dunlops, 64.3/103.5 dunlops with barons 34t front pulley and 65.2/104.9 with commander tire and stock front sprocket.

I've checked my work but it's getting late and I reserve the right to make any corrections needed later. :)
Hey that's excellent info there. Thanks for that. It makes this tyre comparison more informative for everyone.
So basically you could say the Michelin is as good as, if not a bit better (higher gearing) than a front pulley change. Great news if you need a new tyre and don't want expense of buying a front sprocket. I know when I fitted that tyre that it just felt right, the gearing seems perfect for this bike. It made the speedo just about spot on as well. And I cant wear it out, seems to be lasting forever.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts