Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a trip to the Daniel Boone National Forest here in Kentucky. I learned somethings today, first my bike had no trouble keeping up with my friends bigger bikes under 75mph and second my rear end has been sore ever since.
the seat has to go, I just got the bike this year and this was the first time out on the interstate.
The trip was around two hours worth of riding, and I won't do it again until I replace the seat.
Are there any seats out there reasonably priced, say under $250? I've seen some nice mustang seats, but man they're expensive.

Sorry, didn't get any pictures but as soon as I get a tool bag I'll get some pics the Natural Bridge are is really nice this time of year.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just went thru the same thing at 35 miles I started hurting and at 45 I was miserable. The Kaw Gel seat is about 240$ but reviews are mixed on weather it's enough better to be worth it. Everybody raves about the mustang and I found it for 350$ I paid 380$ for the Studded version. You sit a little more upright which I like but on short rides its only a little better.
The true test will be Sunday Ill take it out for a long ride If it gets ride of the soreness Ill let you know. It really pisses me of that on a brand new bike I have to go spend 380$ on a decent seat the know their seat sucks and yet they don't fix it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Kawasaki's Gel Seats for the VN900 start at around $260 on the Kawi website. I've read a few forums in which the gel seats were a definite upgrade over stock. Myself, I went with the Mustang Wide Touring Seat. It gives my passenger a nice thickly padded 12" wide pillion as well as upgrading the pad thickness and "backrest" for me. The riding position is an inch or two more forward and higher. The backrest from the nose of the passenger pillion rely helps on long rides. I can push back and stretch my spine while riding, I'm 6'-1" too. Mustang Seat was about $370 plus shipping from http://www.westendmotorsports.com

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
Took a trip to the Daniel Boone National Forest here in Kentucky. I learned somethings today, first my bike had no trouble keeping up with my friends bigger bikes under 75mph and second my rear end has been sore ever since.
the seat has to go, I just got the bike this year and this was the first time out on the interstate.
The trip was around two hours worth of riding, and I won't do it again until I replace the seat.
Are there any seats out there reasonably priced, say under $250? I've seen some nice mustang seats, but man they're expensive.

Sorry, didn't get any pictures but as soon as I get a tool bag I'll get some pics the Natural Bridge are is really nice this time of year.
I have a new Kawa Flame-Stitched Gel seat for sale- I hate it! I did 3 hours on Saturday and decided it wasn't for me. Maybe it will fit you better.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Here is what works for me. I have the Mustang Daytripper seat which is huge. I also wear bike shorts under my jeans. It may seem funny - but it works. I can ride for hours without much discomfort. Before - 30-40 minutes and the soreness starts.

I bought my seat used for about $170 on ebay - so keep an eye out for deals.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Mustang all the way...Just got back last night from a 1722 km trip and 1000 of those kms was done friday. 14 hours in the saddle and it worked great.. mind you your body gets sore after that long but there is no soreness at all in the tail bone like the stock seat. I could jump back on today and not feel one bit sore. you have to spend the money for the comfort or you will never be happy. It weighs almost double what a stock seat weighs so you know there is quality there.. Hope this helps

·
Registered
578 Posts
I would suggest that before you spend the money, try to figure out what it is about the stock seat that affects your butt. For me it was the round curve from the back to the bottom of the seat, my tailbone was killing me, the Mustang solved that for me, but if thats not where your pain is then that might not be the seat for you. Russell Day Long make a very comfortable looking seat also.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
I will second the comments from Rog Rides Again. I have tried the AirHawk pillow, which helped tremendously on my recent 2700 mile ride out west, but have just upgraded to a used Mustang Touring seat and find that all my soreness has disappeared with the mustang. Now I will be putting the AirHawk up for sale in the near future as I don't need it anymore. Should have gone with the Mustang in the first place.....

·
Registered
279 Posts
Check eBay fall and winter for deals on Mustang seats. I bought mine last fall for well under summer pricing. As I recall it was like a 20% discount.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Wow, I'm surprised. I have no butt at all (my nickname at work is "No Ass") and I can ride my Custom for 2 hours without a problem.

·
Registered
976 Posts
It's different for almost everyone, but, when I got the chance to buy a used Mustang with drivers backrest at 250 I took it and put my modified stock up in the rafters. Now, I had sent the stock seat out to Spencer's at www.greatdaytoride.com and had them add a double layer of gel to the seat. This is the seat I used to do my Iron butt 1000/1500 but I had to stick a pillow form on it to ride it and MAN was I sore afterwards.

But last year with the Mustang and an Alaskan Fur cover, to keep monkey butt at bay, and went 16 hours only stopping cuzz we got there.

I think Russel actually makes the seat to fit you, but I don't know how they do it without a fitting. But if that's the way they do it, and they make it FOR you, well that would be the ultimate. Kinda like buying a stock saddle OR having one tailored to you. Must of us just ordered off the Sears site and let our rear ends do the rest of the matching.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's nice to see I"m not the only one having issues with the stock seat. No more long trips until I get something different to sit on. I'm going to keep an eye out on ebay for some deals.
Thanks guys, I'll let you know when I find something that works. I can't believe Kawasaki would make such a nice bike without putting some thought into the seat, makes me wonder if it's the same on their bigger cruisers too.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I also went with the Spencer (www.greatdaytoride.com) mod to my seat, no gel. He doesn't recommend it but the foam he uses makes all the difference. No more sore butt here, I can ride for a couple of hundred miles or between fill-ups and not need a break. You can pay those big bucks for the brand name seats but Spencer can help you for around $90 plus shipping and it's back at your house in a week.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I rode only 20-30 minutes and my butt was sore on the OEM (stock) seat; found a Mustang seat on eBay for around $300, now I can ride all day.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Same on my v2k

It's nice to see I"m not the only one having issues with the stock seat. No more long trips until I get something different to sit on. I'm going to keep an eye out on ebay for some deals.
Thanks guys, I'll let you know when I find something that works. I can't believe Kawasaki would make such a nice bike without putting some thought into the seat, makes me wonder if it's the same on their bigger cruisers too.
The stock seat on my bike was like sitting on the frame rails. I put on a Mustang wide touring and that did the trick. It raised me a couple inches and moved me forward a bit. I paid 400 for a new one on ebay. Sucks spending the dough butt it was worth it. :D

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have noticed I can go about 2 hours before feeling much discomfort, i am only 160lbs however and work out everyday so theres not to much fat back there, might be it. Still getting a saddleman solo.

·
Registered
252 Posts
First long trip this weekend on the Corbin Dual Tourer. Got off the bike about an hour ago after, 150 miles Thursday, 350 Friday, 300+ Saturday and another 450+ today. Body is a little beat up, but the butt is doing well, only needed an extra break today to stretch the legs.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I took my new Mustang Wide Touring seat on a ride for the first time today.
Unfortunately I did not have the luck everybody else has had.
With my stock seat about 35 miles my butt was hurting.
With the Mustang I got to about 75-80 miles before I started hurting.
So it was alot better but certainly not a cure all.
I do have some back issues so maybe that plays into it.
I'm a little disappointed I thought all my problems were solved.:(

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
Bummer to hear that, Ozark. I think maybe I'll be trying the guy in Florida for a rebuild. Some products get a lot of hype here, but thanks for telling it like it is. Glad most who bought these seats like them, though. They are expensive!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Cost of mustang seat

Kawasaki's Gel Seats for the VN900 start at around $260 on the Kawi website. I've read a few forums in which the gel seats were a definite upgrade over stock. Myself, I went with the Mustang Wide Touring Seat. It gives my passenger a nice thickly padded 12" wide pillion as well as upgrading the pad thickness and "backrest" for me. The riding position is an inch or two more forward and higher. The backrest from the nose of the passenger pillion rely helps on long rides. I can push back and stretch my spine while riding, I'm 6'-1" too. Mustang Seat was about $370 plus shipping from http://www.westendmotorsports.com
$584.00 with shipping from that dealer, I just checked. You must have got a good % off on yours.
bearpawh

1 - 20 of 34 Posts