Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i have a question and i couldn't find an answer via the search. Mileage on a motorcycle similar to miles of a car? Meaning i have the opportunity to purchase a used 2011 vulcan 900 custom with custom exhaust and new tires for 4900...5100 OTD but it has almost 30k miles on it i mean that indicates to me that the cruiser was the previous owners only source of transportation. Is that a reasonable amount for the miles or should i be looking at cheaper Bikes with lower miles? I am pretty much set on a kawi vulcan 900 custom. Rode a honda shadow phantom and aero and a c50 boulevard or what ever they are called and liked them and based on the reviews of those 3 bikes the 900 comes out on top. so I guess what i am asking: Is the mileage kinda high or is that okay? Thanks in advance, new rider BTW..

·
Registered
78 Posts
I just bought a new 2013 900 classic for 1099.00 OTD. I guess it would be nice to get your bike. But I would make payments to myself and put them in a savings account. So, if any repairs or service that needs to be done would be covered without worry about where am I going to get the funds. Get it, Enjoy it. :)

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
mc miles break out:
>24k year = dedicated mc enthusiast, retired with muey play and travel time definately has more than one bike and boat and truck just to round out the playing field.
18 - 24k year = dedicated mc enthusiast with muey play and travel time, probly retired
with more than one bike.
12 - 18k year = Commuter with Travel and Play time
12k yr = commuter, with little play time
10k yr = commuter, no time to play
6k yr = casual weekend warrior
<6k yr = poser

·
Living The Dream
1,512 Posts
I would say with 30000 miles on it, it seems like its a runner. Better to be used and on the road frequently than sitting in storage dry rotting. Price it seems fair for a 3 year old. Last year I paid $3100 for a used 900 classic LT with 12500 miles. And I believe at that time it was a couple grand under blue book. Just my opinion of course.

·
Registered
16 Posts
mc miles break out:
>24k year = dedicated mc enthusiast, retired with muey play and travel time definately has more than one bike and boat and truck just to round out the playing field.
18 - 24k year = dedicated mc enthusiast with muey play and travel time, probly retired
with more than one bike.
<6k yr = poser
Crap. I'm a poser :(

Although I do have a couple smaller kids half time... a gf who has a couple smaller kids full time... and a job where I tend to consistently work 65 hrs a week m/l...

I thought I was doing good just to burn a tank or two of fuel every month along with the occasional 100-400 mile weekend joyride....

Now I feel like I should just get a scooter.:eek:

·
Registered
445 Posts
Blackriot,
+1 to a bike that has been used and maintained is better that a garage queen.
You can look up prices in you area on NADA.com that will give you an educated guess along with what you see as asking prices on cycle trader and CL. Remember asking price does not represent the final sale price.

Dam. I'm weekend warrior.

Ron

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Hey guys i have a question and i couldn't find an answer via the search. Mileage on a motorcycle similar to miles of a car? Meaning i have the opportunity to purchase a used 2011 vulcan 900 custom with custom exhaust and new tires for 4900...5100 OTD but it has almost 30k miles on it i mean that indicates to me that the cruiser was the previous owners only source of transportation. Is that a reasonable amount for the miles or should i be looking at cheaper Bikes with lower miles? I am pretty much set on a kawi vulcan 900 custom. Rode a honda shadow phantom and aero and a c50 boulevard or what ever they are called and liked them and based on the reviews of those 3 bikes the 900 comes out on top. so I guess what i am asking: Is the mileage kinda high or is that okay? Thanks in advance, new rider BTW..
I have a 2009 Classic w/13,000 miles that I have cared for meticulously and has new tires that I would ship to you cheaper than that.

·
Registered
164 Posts
mc miles break out:
with more than one bike.
<6k yr = poser
This must be for warm (all year around) areas

·
Registered
164 Posts
That's what I was thinking. We only have about six months of good riding weather. After that, you squeeze in a ride here or there whenever you get the chance. So, I think I would fall into the 12000 mile/year range, if I could ride all year. :cool:

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
when you finally get to retire you get to travel north in the summer and south in the winter so you have WARM weather all the time, everywhere. so racking up miles in your Truck pulling your 5th wheel trailer with Boat and a couple MC's tucked inside.. is the goal for those still slaving away..
but of course yor pres (lucy) keeps moving the football (retire) so you (charlie brown) aint never gonna see it.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I would keep looking at that price considering the miles. In my area that would be a $3500 bike top priced. Look on craigslist Las Vegas and see the market price there. There are lots of those 2011 bikes with under 6,000 miles for $1000 less. Just sayin.

·
Registered
415 Posts
You can buy a brand new custom 2012 model for about $1500. more around here, i would go new if your comfortable with $5000. for a bike....ride on....

·
Registered
761 Posts
I would keep looking at that price considering the miles. In my area that would be a $3500 bike top priced. Look on craigslist Las Vegas and see the market price there. There are lots of those 2011 bikes with under 6,000 miles for $1000 less. Just sayin.
Agree 100%..People are having a hard time selling their bikes.You can get a much better deal from Craigslist on a much lower mileage bike.Give me that garage queen any day.I have bought tons with never a problem.Too many miles on that bike for the price.I highly doubt the dealers really check out these trade in bikes.Look for a one owner bike with low miles that has not been played (modded) too much.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You can buy a brand new custom 2012 model for about $1500. more around here, i would go new if your comfortable with $5000. for a bike....ride on....
i have been looking at a brand new custom 2012 for 5.6k with zero miles at a dealer ship but then they charge tax title license and a freight charge so it comes out to like 8 grand.....need to have some money left over for gear LOL

·
Registered
536 Posts
Keep in mind that that bike with 29K is due for a valve adjust at 30,000. Its a $300+ job if the shop does it and a pain if you do it. Just something else to consider on the deal. I would do more shopping and I've heard of leftover deals without all the freight and other charges also. I too would buy a garage queen, change some fluids and ride the wheels off it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
mc miles break out:
with more than one bike.
<6k yr = poser
Seriously? So you could get bike out once a week and do 100km (miles even) rides and you'd be called a poser. Sounds like BS to me.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Seriously? So you could get bike out once a week and do 100km (miles even) rides and you'd be called a poser. Sounds like BS to me.
Km's don't count even if theyr down under, Aussies got to have some humor? No, you'd be a weekend warrior.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
I guess I've been a poser since I started riding couple of years ago, but I'm trying to upgrade my status to a weekend warrior this year. Not sure if I'll make it though. LOL

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I averaged about 9k last year. Which I figure to be pretty good for the bike being laid up between December and February for winter and the fact I keep ending up in Phoenix for months at a time :p

Does it alter the parameters any if you get out only once or twice a month for serious rides, but it's to the tune of 600-1500 miles?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts