Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright my friends, my stock rear 180 is really bald. I'd really like to take the tire size on the rear as big as I can get it. I've searched the Forums and seen plenty of people that have put 230s on the rear and have done just fine with it, but also have read about people on 230's on the rear that have had blow outs.
I need advice from those who have 230's on the rear tire. How is the bike handling, how is the tire wear, whats the risk of a blow out? Before I spend the money to buy the tire I want to make sure its not going to cause some serious problem sitting on that stock wheel.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
It's my understanding that a 230 requires a wheel kit. I believe the widest I've heard being mounted on a 900's factory wheel is a 200.

·
Registered
415 Posts
The avon230 is the series of their tire, not the width, you can put a 240 with a bigger wheel in the rear, check meancycles.com; the 200 wide will fit our 9's, but for the $100. price difference you'll only get 20mm wider than the stock 180, which is less than an inch....ride on....

·
Registered
370 Posts
The 230mm tire does not require a kit or a bigger rear wheel.

It does require you to trim the belt guard and mud flap.

The risks of blow outs and what not are similar to that of any motorcycle tire.

You seem to have done some research I would say keep searching on here there is a lot of info about the mod. Some of the people that have done it no longer post so they may not answer here but the info if out there.

If I were in need of a new rear tire I would deff go with the 230 I think it is a good looking mod

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
The 230mm tire does not require a kit or a bigger rear wheel.

It does require you to trim the belt guard and mud flap.

The risks of blow outs and what not are similar to that of any motorcycle tire.

You seem to have done some research I would say keep searching on here there is a lot of info about the mod. Some of the people that have done it no longer post so they may not answer here but the info if out there.

If I were in need of a new rear tire I would deff go with the 230 I think it is a good looking mod
yep, you are correct ... a quick trim on the fender liner and a cut out on the belt guard ... it will also over correct the speedo ... its that aspect vs width thing = tire circumference.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ordered :)

Thanks for all the advice everyone! :) I went with the 230/60B-15 (86H) Avon Roadrunner AM21, and I'm excited for it to get here and get it mounted on there. Wally I think you are thinking of the 230 Shinko series which you are correct is just a series of tire and not the actual width. But this Avon is a 230 width. :) Can't wait to get that tire on there and get the mods all done. :) I'll throw some pics up when its all done!

·
Registered
14 Posts
feedback & pics?

Thanks for all the advice everyone! :) I went with the 230/60B-15 (86H) Avon Roadrunner AM21, and I'm excited for it to get here and get it mounted on there. Wally I think you are thinking of the 230 Shinko series which you are correct is just a series of tire and not the actual width. But this Avon is a 230 width. :) Can't wait to get that tire on there and get the mods all done. :) I'll throw some pics up when its all done!
Howdy dude,

Have you got any pics of the before and after yet?
Also, how easy was it for you? What other changes did you end up having to do to fit the 230?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Some pics & follow up. :)

Sorry there's not pics for every step of the way. Lol I would get so excited or pissed at somethings I would space taking pics all the time. Alright so I've got the bike up on the jack here. If you don't have a motorcycle jack like this it will be very hard to do.

Here is a straight on of the back tire, as you can see totally shot tread wise.

You have to remove your pipes to be able to access the 27MM nut that is on the axle. So here is the pipes removed. I'm not sure if it's standard but the nuts on both where the pipes came off the engine and where they were bolted back by the frame were 12MM.

You have to remove the cotter pin from the end of that axle before you can get that 27MM bolt off, so once that pin is out you remove that bolt, either a 27MM socket or if you have a large 27MM wrench. Once you get that nut off then its a matter of gently getting the axle out. I used a rubber mallet and then a small piece of 2x4 to gently tap it out from the nut side, and then once I got some arm length on it, you can pull it the rest of the way. :)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=274312556094992&set=pcb.274313596094888&type=1&theater

Once that axle come out the tire pretty much just falls right out. The brake caliper may still be holding it in place a little bit, but mine just fell right down pretty much.

So once you work the tire and wheel out, then to get ready for the mod you gotta get the mudflap and chain/belt guards off there. Again the mudflap bolts were I believe 12MM.

Here's a side by side of the wheels to see how trashed mine was, and how big the 230 really is next to the 180

You can see here where I trimmed the mudflap, following the outline set up by a previous post that I looked up on the forum.

Here is the inside belt guard, that I actually had to re-trim that entire upper portion to match going all the way down. But here is a pic with just the bottom portion of that guard trimmed.

I took the wheel with my 180 and the 230 tire to my local bike shop where they charged me 30 bucks to put the 230 on the wheel. When you are attempting to put the wheel back on, you have to be extremely aware of the height of your bike and where you wheel needs to be lined up so it all matches up. Took me several tries and I had to lower down the jack some while at the same time using some pieces of sheetrock to place under the tire to get it the height I needed to line up. I also needed to remove the rear tail-lights to be able to fit the tire in there to get it mounted.

These are the youtube videos I watched as my guides for removing the tire. Not even close to the same bike but the information was very good and I was able to make it work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T1tbEBi4VI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjMSsT8Yy_M

Now along with this back tire installation I installed the 2 inch lowering kit.
I watched this youtube video which was not very helpful. Lol but as a starting guide sort of gives you the idea of what you need.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj0fHLp9dGE

On the one side you will need a 22MM socket, on the other you will need a 27MM socket. The instructions that came with the lowering kit were not very good at all. Lol I can only say that you will need to closely watch how high your bike is jacked up off the ground, and you may need to adjust it several times to remove the bolt as it seems to interfere with the actual frame of the bike some. I can't remember what the bolt underneath is, I want to say 17MM but I'm not 100% sure on that one. All in all it was a very fun mod and I had alot of fun doing the research and doing the work myself.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pic from post

Not sure why those pics didn't show up at all, that's irritating, but if you click on that facebook photo theatre link that is right above where it says Once the axle, it should pull up all the photos that I had in there. :) Along with all the finished results! I would recommend the mod for anyone wanting to do it. The bike rides so much smoother and is just a completely better feel. Ride on my friends!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Well I haven't posted here in a while. Since I purchased my Nomad, I don't ride my 900 as much. It has become a weekend toy. My 900 is a lot more sporty than my Nomad, but comfort defiantly goes to the Nomad. But back to the 900 info.

I installed my first Avon 230 back in 2010 and have been running the Avon 230 ever since. I personally like the ride and the look of the wider tire. It does have a little "balloon" look, but it is not bad at all. I also helped a friend install the 230 on his bike in 2011 and he is still running his also. We have not had any problems with these tires at all, and we have been running them for years. I am on my third 230 and will keep using them as long as I have my 900. When we did his bike, I did up a how to thread. So if you have any questions, check out this thread:
http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15233

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thx

Not sure why those pics didn't show up at all, that's irritating, but if you click on that facebook photo theatre link that is right above where it says Once the axle, it should pull up all the photos that I had in there. :) Along with all the finished results! I would recommend the mod for anyone wanting to do it. The bike rides so much smoother and is just a completely better feel. Ride on my friends!
Dude, thx a lot for the info. (also thank you gillisfire20).
I have done lots of reading up on many forms, sites and seen many youtube clips.

So, When it is time for a new rear (soon), I will definitely go with the 230. I will update you guys with feedback and picks also.

For now, I need to find a place here that actually keeps Avons.

·
Registered
14 Posts
230 is on!! Woohooo!

Dude, thx a lot for the info. (also thank you gillisfire20).
I have done lots of reading up on many forms, sites and seen many youtube clips.

So, When it is time for a new rear (soon), I will definitely go with the 230. I will update you guys with feedback and picks also.

For now, I need to find a place here that actually keeps Avons.
Upgrade to 230 done a while back. Only posting now as wanted to ride the 230 enough as well before providing feedback:

The inhalation was very easy enough (Thx to everyone's pics as well).
And the 230 rides like a dream. Gives the bike an awesome, more aggressive look, and turns many more heads now.

I am a big fan and will keep the 230 for future as well.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts