Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've been reporting about the mileage I'm getting out of my rear tire for some time now. Now it looks like our relationship is about to end. I will take my 2011 Voyager ABS down to Rapid City on Tuesday morning for a new Dunlop American Elite (just like the tire I'm taking off). It's one week shy of a year since I had the tire put on, and 23,000 miles to the mark today (Friday). Beings that I'm in the Black Hills of SD I'm sure I'll put on at least another 500 miles by Tuesday, so, to say I'm happy with that kind of mileage is a understatement. Sure does beat the 8,600 I got out of the stock stone, why Kawasaki doesn't start out with a high mileage tire I'll never understand! :)

·
Registered
318 Posts
That's unheard of mileage on our bikes. What size tire are you using, or does it come in the original size. Are you using the matching front tire, and if so how do you like it?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Not only is it stock size, are we talking radial or bias-ply? I have 9300 miles on my stock tires(front actually looks worse than the rear) and am looking at my options.
Thanks!!!

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Those Dunlops are awesome. It's a dual compound tire (for those that don't know), which means a hard compound in the center strip, and nice gummy tire on the outside. You get the mileage of a hard tire with the handling of a motorcycle tire!

Too bad they don't presently come in a size that will fit the 900. I suspect their R&D department is focused on deploying it into the bigger bikes. Not many folks put a lot of miles on a 900. In the last few months I've put more miles on my bike than the original owner did in 5 years!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Well, I've been reporting about the mileage I'm getting out of my rear tire for some time now. Now it looks like our relationship is about to end. I will take my 2011 Voyager ABS down to Rapid City on Tuesday morning for a new Dunlop American Elite (just like the tire I'm taking off). It's one week shy of a year since I had the tire put on, and 23,000 miles to the mark today (Friday). Beings that I'm in the Black Hills of SD I'm sure I'll put on at least another 500 miles by Tuesday, so, to say I'm happy with that kind of mileage is a understatement. Sure does beat the 8,600 I got out of the stock stone, why Kawasaki doesn't start out with a high mileage tire I'll never understand! :)
That's pretty impressive for a motorcycle tire. I've talked to a few of the Harley Guys that run those and they seem to like them. I'm a bigger fan of the Dunlop 407 myself.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I don't know what I'm more impressed with - that the tire lasted 23,000 miles or that you put 23,000 miles on the bike in a year - Actually I'm impressed with the first one - Jealous of the second!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's unheard of mileage on our bikes. What size tire are you using, or does it come in the original size. Are you using the matching front tire, and if so how do you like it?
The American Elite is a 180-65/16 Bias.
When I put that on last year they didn't have a front tire in the American Elite so I replaced the front tire down in Florida with a Elite III, it now has 17,000 miles on it and still looking good. If they would come out with an American Elite for the front, I'd change to that. I'm thinking I should get about 20K out of that front Elite III but based on what I got out of the rear American Elite...a front in that same tire should get 25K or better. As for air pressure I run 41psi in the rear and 40psi in the front and I check it 1X/week and every time I've changed elevation over 1000 feet. Always checked cold. Oh, if the outside temp changes drastically I check it then too. This is the same procedure I use on our bus tires and it works well for safety and long mileage. I hope this helps to get you better mileage out of your tires. From talking to other riders, most do not check the pressure often enough.

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
That's great mileage and that's an understatement!! I have the same tire on my skoot, that tire has about 13,000 miles on it, it will not get to prolly 16,000 much less 23,000 mls.

RACNRAY

·
Registered
248 Posts

I am so glad to hear that (23K miles) since I have put the same 180 65H 16 American on my Nomad. A friend who rides a Harley put me on to them and so far I am very impressed with the mileage and the ride quality. It rides better than any tire I've ever had! :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts