Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
Yesterday was coming back from 200 mile loop with club, the bike slowed and sounded like it was running on one cylinder, pulled over put gas in ran okay then did it again then ran ok for 10 miles and did it again
Anyone know symptoms?
Thanks
PS: engine has 16,500 miles Injectors and the bike has 52,000 miles 2006 900 classic

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
I had an issue last year where my 900 LT felt more like it was running out of gas than down a cylinder. When I filled up it would run fine until it got to about 1/2 a tank. It turned out to be a weak fuel pump. I had used a single 2.5 gallon can of gas normally reserved for the lawn equipment during the life of the bike. There was enough grass clipping to clog the internal filter and make the pump work harder than it should. The pump eventually got weak and caused me issues. I'm not saying your's is a weak pump but it is one potential option.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Yes, the pump sits inside the fuel tank with an integrated filter. You will need to remove the tank in order to be able to properly remove and install the pump.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Not counting out the fuel pump being the problem but I have learned with any automotive application (car/truck/bike/atv/...) check battery and charging system first. A weak battery in my wife former Pontiac G6 was causing all sorts of warning lights and sensors to kick. I checked the battery and it was showing a touch under 13v as soon as I turned the key on it would drop to around 11.5v. Charging system checked out and new battery fixed it right up. Got to have enough power to run all the electronics.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, Battery shows charged, also 12.75 volts, when running, 12.7- 14.5 It is not a very expensive volt meter so it might be off a tad. I will check to see if there are any loose wires.
Any more suggestions are welcomed.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I had that whine on the older engine, that I replaced. It had a transmission problem, it turned out to be was a stator, replaced stator. if it is a stator on this engine at least I still have the replaced stator in the engine I took out.
Why do you ask I thought you might be leading to that if not please advise

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just took the bike on a 50 mile loop and it ran great, I wonder if I had some bad gas????
I didn't hear much whining (except from my girlfriend) LOL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts