Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been selected to ride in next year's Ironbutt Rally. I will be riding Hidalgo, my 1997 Vulcan 500LTD with 200k+ miles on her.

I will provide updates here as I prepare for this World Class event set for next summer starting in June.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Hey Ponche... sorry the Ponch.
I missed your particular sense of humor, is gonna take them a few post to get use to it though.
Very Glad you're back. makes it more fun to stay connected.

·
Registered
894 Posts
B Bill. I see you are at it again, I was planning for a June ride to a VRA West Rally in Colorado but is doubtful this thing will happen at all.

Keep us posted on the prep work, I am interested on the logistics of that kind or insane rides you are fun of.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Request for Part:

I am going to need a spare rear wheel to possibly change out during the Rally. Does anyone have a cast wheel from a Vulcan 500A that I could borrow?

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Sioux gets a headlight Upgrade

Riding the Ironbutt Rally will require a fair amount of riding at night. Because of this I want to have as much light as possible to show the way without taxing the limited power output of the alternator.

Hidalgo has a 35W HID headlight installed and it works very well. But it is complicated with a controller box and a ballast which had to be stuffed into some dark recesses of Hidalgo’s innards. Every time I pull the tank I have to take care not to get any of these items out of sorts. However I’ve been told that HID is now ‘old school’ and that LED is what’s happening now. It’s a major pain to redo all of the electricals on Hidalgo so I decided to do the headlight test on Sioux first. If the test goes well then I will spring for another unit on Hidalgo.

I ordered the Cyclops H4 10.0 LED bulb kit from Adventure Sports. The unit seems well built but it has a fan to keep the heat sink cool. Installation is very easy with just a little bit of tweaking to stuff the cable and ballast inside the headlight bucket.

Below are pics of the HID and LED in action:

HID on the left and LED on the right

Low beam:

High beam:

The LED seems to have a much brighter beam but a more circular pattern. On low beam the LED has two separate beams that spread wide.

Below are pics from the front (as what oncoming traffic would see). HID on the right and LED on the left.

Low beam:

High beam:

Hidalgo with ALL her lights shining:

I will be testing Sioux for a while to see if the LED will be worth the trouble.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts