Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Administrator "Loose Nut"
Houston, Texas
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's the annual mileage challenge which is in addition to our monthly challenge. It's simple, post a picture of your odometer at any time for your beginning mileage and one at the end. Challenge ends December 31, 2021. If you own more than one bike then total miles on all count (only your miles count, not other rider miles), just have to submit beginning and ending readings for all bikes. Any questions or suggestions? Let's have some fun with this. I've got a few ideas on what the "winner" gets, give me a bit to work on my idea. Here a copy of spreadsheet using those who participate in the monthly challenge.

Addition: In the event you trade or sell, post a pic of the outgoing mileage and the new bike mileage. If you forget to take a pic of the odometer, then the paper work from the sale which should show mileage would suffice

·
Registered
29 Posts
Im in but I have several bikes and the odo of my daily commute bike doesnt work. Can I post screenshots of ESR trips?

·
Houston, Texas
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm good with that. But is there a way to ensure it's bike miles only?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Can you use the photo I submitted for the Dec challenge? There's so much rain here I won't be taking it out today!

·
Registered
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S, 2020 Kawasaki Z900
851 Posts
Submitted my December miles, Z900 has not moved so the 751 can stick, Vulcan S made it to 611. Only issue with the annual challenge for me is I may end up having to drop the KVS off after spring if the wife decides she is ready to give her another go. Until spring I will be the only rider. In 2020 the bikes were purchased in august, Z had 5 miles and by the time KVS was delivered had 10, so for a short amount of time I am happy with the miles I managed this year, here's to a whole lot more in 2021!! Oh yeah, and to no accidents or random people in parking lots hitting one while it's parked!

·
Houston, Texas
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The purpose of the challenge is to share the miles you get, not necessarily the most miles. I really, really want to thank those who participate. It's fun for me to ride and like sharing my riding with other people. This may come across wrong, but I'll say it any way. I'm disappointed that more haven't joined. Are some weathered in and can't ride right now, yes. But as I'm reading posts I look to see were people live. There's a lot of members here that live in areas that riding year round is possible. So, why not join? Don't ride that much, ok, but do you enjoy the miles you do? Why not share the joy? There's a lot of full size touring bike owners here, don't you take some longer rides?

·
Registered
851 Posts
I wonder if not that many bother viewing the off topic section, I noticed you link this thread in a few threads elsewhere maybe if more mention is made in other areas of the forum it will attract more participants. I am not in it for the competition either, just happy to report the chance to ride let alone rack up decent miles. If the wife does begin riding the KVS I can continue to report her mileage to keep an extra on the list!

·
Houston, Texas
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wonder if not that many bother viewing the off topic section, I noticed you link this thread in a few threads elsewhere maybe if more mention is made in other areas of the forum it will attract more participants. I am not in it for the competition either, just happy to report the chance to ride let alone rack up decent miles. If the wife does begin riding the KVS I can continue to report her mileage to keep an extra on the list!
Good point, I'm use to members reading most posts on other forums and just not certain ones. I personally gain knowledge from other models which can be used on my bike. To me the off topic (non model specific) conversations is better than reading oil threads.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I always view off topic on forums I belong to, don't think everyone feels the same about it though. Is there a way to reference this under the "rides" section since it may be thought of similarly? I don't know just thinking out loud...through typing haha

·
Houston, Texas
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I always view off topic on forums I belong to, don't think everyone feels the same about it though. Is there a way to reference this under the "rides" section since it may be thought of similarly? I don't know just thinking out loud...through typing haha
Great idea, done.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I always check this forum at least once each morning. I simply click the "New" at the top right of the page. This pulls up everything new that's been posted since my prior visit. If this actually works that way, then I can review all new posts regardless of where it's posted. Even though I didn't get out as much as I could have in December, I can honestly say that I got out at least twice with this contest in mind. It's fun checking what the other participants are doing, as well. At any rate, many thanks to Lesblank for doing this.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm good with that. But is there a way to ensure it's bike miles only?
Well, if you want a hard proof you can check the time of the trip then make a Google Map itinerary at the same time, which since I'm commuting, is peak hours. Bangkok is notorious for its crazy traffic jams so lane splitting allows me to drastically reduce the time I spend commuting and there's no way I could hit this kind of clock in a car. Actually I think that Google Map gives you the estimate time by vehicle type so feel free to compare.

But just to make things easier: I simply don't own a car, I don't even have a car driving license...I passed it when I was 18yo under my parents pressure, got it so that they would give me a break, then drove once and never held a steering wheel ever since. I never bothered to renew it so if I had to drive a car, I would have to get a new license again here in Thailand.
This is my "garage":

As you can see, I got room for one car OR several bikes, not both :). I guess I could keep the bikes inside and a car outside, but I let you imagine how a car would look like parked outside 24/7 in a tropical country with yearly monsoon...
More seriously, I just don't drive, (almost) never did never will. Motorcycles are my sole and only mean of transportation, and I'm on a bike as soon as I step outside of the house (the only outlet within walking distance is a 7/11).
The 4 bikes on the pics are:
  • Under cover, background left: a Bonnie T120 that I bought as a temporary commute bike during my Honda build, and that I am presently trying to sell. Hopefully I'll get the cover off on the sale day only
  • Under cover, foreground left: my Yammie Bobber XV1600, that's I've posted in a few threads. Not riding it much these days because it's a solo seat and I got married a few months ago :-/
  • background right: my Honda CB1300 Cafe, which is my commuting bike, and the one with the messed up speedo / odo
  • foreground right: my Kwaki VN2000, which kinda replaced the Bobber for holidays trips

I purposely took three pics so that you can see that I don't have a hidden garage somewhere around ;)

But TBH, I'm not jumping onto this thread with a spirit of competition. I'm riding between 8 and 15K kilometers a year: around 6K commuting for work, 2-3K doing shopping / taking the wife out, and 2 to 6K on holidays / week end rides. I'm pretty damn sure there's plenty of dudes on the board with longer commute that will blow me out of the water in a few months. I'm living in Bangkok, city center, so my commute is fairly shot @22km/day and between the two wheelers barred from highways and the poor state of Thai roads, 400-500km per day is pretty much the maximum my body can handle on holidays trip. I did a few 700-800km/day rides but these were hard work and I stay away from taxing rides lately, I'm not getting any younger and I always got the wife pillion when I go for bike trips. Surprisingly, she won't let me go solo and disappear for days with a bunch of fellow motorcyclists, I guess the fact that there's a brothel every 15km or so across the entire country has something to do with it ;(

I'm subscribing to the thread because:

• that will force me to keep track of the miles I'm putting on the Honda, regardless of the messed up odo
  • I think it's funny to have an actual, accurate picture of the miles covered in a year
  • All my bikes are customs or in the process of being customs (both the Yammy and the Honda are completed projects, the Kwaki has just started) and I'm a bit tired of hearing that custom rides are trailer queens, impractical, uncomfortable, always breaking down, etc...Yes, there are some show bikes that are made for competitions only and that would be an absolute nightmare to ride more than 15mn, but there are also loads of custom bikes ridden daily, years after years, and I intend to prove it :p

Now, to get back to the topic, here's my Kwaki odo as of yesterday early afternoon, @ 40,705km. Sorry for the crappy pic, the display is quite caked and I intend to refurbish it if I can, but between its poor state and the bright light that's the best I could do:

And as of today, upon our return from the NY break we took in Hua Hin, @40,929km:

That's 224km, but the actual ride was 193km, the additional 31km were for some grocery shopping we did yesterday after the pic was taken, so only the 193km should be counted as we were still in 2020 yesterday.

Then I took the Honda to pick something up at my office. I forgot to turn ESR on and remembered to do it only on the way back. Here's the travel from my office to a grocery store, @4.8km:

Then the 6.4km from the store to my house:

Note: these 11.2km are the kilos I ride from the office back home Mon-Fri. I take a slightly different route for the way in but I guess the distance in km is almost identical. Moving forward, if that works for you, I can post the summary screenshots only, otherwise that will be some hard work for you to add all these bits and pieces:

Let me know if that works for you and if it does, what would be the easiest way for you to aggregate the distances.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Looks like now there will be math involved converting KM to miles haha. Glad the move to here already found some attention from a serious rider, and kudos for living life on 2 wheels! I couldn't imagine not having a car for certain trips so as much as I love riding I still couldn't dedicate myself to that level! Here's to many miles in 2021!

·
Houston, Texas
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, if you want a hard proof you can check the time of the trip then make a Google Map itinerary at the same time, which since I'm commuting, is peak hours. Bangkok is notorious for its crazy traffic jams so lane splitting allows me to drastically reduce the time I spend commuting and there's no way I could hit this kind of clock in a car. Actually I think that Google Map gives you the estimate time by vehicle type so feel free to compare.

But just to make things easier: I simply don't own a car, I don't even have a car driving license...I passed it when I was 18yo under my parents pressure, got it so that they would give me a break, then drove once and never held a steering wheel ever since. I never bothered to renew it so if I had to drive a car, I would have to get a new license again here in Thailand.
This is my "garage":

As you can see, I got room for one car OR several bikes, not both :). I guess I could keep the bikes inside and a car outside, but I let you imagine how a car would look like parked outside 24/7 in a tropical country with yearly monsoon...
More seriously, I just don't drive, (almost) never did never will. Motorcycles are my sole and only mean of transportation, and I'm on a bike as soon as I step outside of the house (the only outlet within walking distance is a 7/11).
The 4 bikes on the pics are:
  • Under cover, background left: a Bonnie T120 that I bought as a temporary commute bike during my Honda build, and that I am presently trying to sell. Hopefully I'll get the cover off on the sale day only
  • Under cover, foreground left: my Yammie Bobber XV1600, that's I've posted in a few threads. Not riding it much these days because it's a solo seat and I got married a few months ago :-/
  • background right: my Honda CB1300 Cafe, which is my commuting bike, and the one with the messed up speedo / odo
  • foreground right: my Kwaki VN2000, which kinda replaced the Bobber for holidays trips

I purposely took three pics so that you can see that I don't have a hidden garage somewhere around ;)

But TBH, I'm not jumping onto this thread with a spirit of competition. I'm riding between 8 and 15K kilometers a year: around 6K commuting for work, 2-3K doing shopping / taking the wife out, and 2 to 6K on holidays / week end rides. I'm pretty damn sure there's plenty of dudes on the board with longer commute that will blow me out of the water in a few months. I'm living in Bangkok, city center, so my commute is fairly shot @22km/day and between the two wheelers barred from highways and the poor state of Thai roads, 400-500km per day is pretty much the maximum my body can handle on holidays trip. I did a few 700-800km/day rides but these were hard work and I stay away from taxing rides lately, I'm not getting any younger and I always got the wife pillion when I go for bike trips. Surprisingly, she won't let me go solo and disappear for days with a bunch of fellow motorcyclists, I guess the fact that there's a brothel every 15km or so across the entire country has something to do with it ;(

I'm subscribing to the thread because:

• that will force me to keep track of the miles I'm putting on the Honda, regardless of the messed up odo
  • I think it's funny to have an actual, accurate picture of the miles covered in a year
  • All my bikes are customs or in the process of being customs (both the Yammy and the Honda are completed projects, the Kwaki has just started) and I'm a bit tired of hearing that custom rides are trailer queens, impractical, uncomfortable, always breaking down, etc...Yes, there are some show bikes that are made for competitions only and that would be an absolute nightmare to ride more than 15mn, but there are also loads of custom bikes ridden daily, years after years, and I intend to prove it :p

Now, to get back to the topic, here's my Kwaki odo as of yesterday early afternoon, @ 40,705km. Sorry for the crappy pic, the display is quite caked and I intend to refurbish it if I can, but between its poor state and the bright light that's the best I could do:

And as of today, upon our return from the NY break we took in Hua Hin, @40,929km:

That's 224km, but the actual ride was 193km, the additional 31km were for some grocery shopping we did yesterday after the pic was taken, so only the 193km should be counted as we were still in 2020 yesterday.

Then I took the Honda to pick something up at my office. I forgot to turn ESR on and remembered to do it only on the way back. Here's the travel from my office to a grocery store, @4.8km:

Then the 6.4km from the store to my house:

Note: these 11.2km are the kilos I ride from the office back home Mon-Fri. I take a slightly different route for the way in but I guess the distance in km is almost identical. Moving forward, if that works for you, I can post the summary screenshots only, otherwise that will be some hard work for you to add all these bits and pieces:

Let me know if that works for you and if it does, what would be the easiest way for you to aggregate the distances.
Thanks for showing interest. The issue is being consistent and accurate with number of miles. To be fair to others who are posting beginning and ending odometer readings, we need to stay to that format. When you get your odometer fixed let me know and I'll be happy to add you.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for showing interest. The issue is being consistent and accurate with number of miles. To be fair to others who are posting beginning and ending odometer readings, we need to stay to that format. When you get your odometer fixed let me know and I'll be happy to add you.
Alright dude, whatever rocks your boat.

That being said, since it's matter of "fairness", which implies that showing GPS data gives me an advantage, or in other words, that I'm a cheater, let me explain how a bike's speedo / odo works:

• Unless you got an aftermarket GPS speedo, both the speed and the odo are converting the data (PPU) from the speed sensor. Even if you got a super vintage bike with a transmission cable drive instead of a magnetic sensor, the concept is the same, there is no such thing as separate sensor for speed and odo. If you ride with your speedo @100km/h for exactly one hour, your odo will show +100km, regardless of your actual speed / actual distance covered
  • All non-GPS speedos (99.9% of factory assies) are inaccurate. They all overestimate the speed, for legal reasons that I'm happy to explain too if someone finds it interesting, and therefore also all overestimate the miles travelled, usually by 5-10%. This is demonstrated by the VN2000 odo showing 224km, the actual trip was 193km, as shown by GPS data. I indeed did a grocery run at the nearby 7/11, but it was an 8km round trip (as can be seen here ), so the actual travelled distance is 201km. 201 vs 224km is a 11% variation, quite in line with what's I've explained above.
  • It means that showing GPS data instead of speedo reading actually puts me at a disadvantage, since I'm showing actual covered distance, not overestimated mileage.

That's it, I'm a bit too old to be called a cheater / liar out of nowhere, so I had to put things straight.

Enjoy the thread, good luck to everyone, and Happy New Year.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I dont think he was calling you a cheater rather he wants everyone to be on the most level playing field possible. I know and agree that gps is more accurate let alone if someone super competitive really wanted an edge they could raise the rear wheel off the ground and just ride it in gear and rack miles that way, but knowing Lesblank since being here I am certain his objective is simple consistency for everyone and would not accuse you of trying to cheat let alone say something to offend you.

·
Houston, Texas
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@Leiurus, I apologize if my statement offended you, was not my intent. I've been doing this exact challenge for years on other forums and found being consistent is in the best interest for all. Ride often and safe.

·
Registered
495 Posts
For what it's worth, my odometer underestimates my mileage. :)
As does mine. When I added a speed corrector (SpeedoDRD) it corrected my mph, but now my odometer reads about 5.5% low compared to GPS. Who cares! The whole point of this contest is enjoyment and some additional motivation to ride. As one that has implemented many contests when in business, I found that you have to be consistent in the application. It's not just a matter of "fairness" to the competitors, but also a matter of "fairness" for the implementor. Once exceptions are made, others will ask for exceptions, which can lead to a nightmare for all. I'll say it again; many thanks to Lesblank for taking the time to do this!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts