Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RevZilla says neither the R&G nor Puig bars will fit my bike. As far as I can tell there’s nothing different about the Cafe that would make a difference.

Has anyone put crash bars on a 2020 KVS Cafe? Recommendations needed!

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Nothing has changed. They have not tried to put one on, they can't find where it says it fit so they say it won't. Get one off Amazon , now they do take finessing 😁🤣, so keep that in mind before you send it back

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nothing has changed. They have not tried to put one on, they can't find where it says it fit so they say it won't. Get one off Amazon , now they do take finessing 😁🤣, so keep that in mind before you send it back
Thanks. That’s what I figured. Now to decide between the R&G or Puig. It seems people like both.

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Get whichever one you can get the best deal on they're both good

·
Registered
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S, 2020 Kawasaki Z900
113 Posts
I have the puigs on my 2020, not the cafe model, and they look great but be warned that the installation could be tricky if you are not familiar with wrenching. It took me less than an hour to get them installed, then I realized the bar that goes from one side to the other was lightly touching the frame and vibrating so I had to make a small modification to make it fit perfectly. The hardest part is the one nut particularly on the left side of the bike, had to find the best tools to fit between the header pipe and that one nut but once I found what worked best for me it was no problem. Very happy with the overall look and feeling of security they offer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the puigs on my 2020, not the cafe model, and they look great but be warned that the installation could be tricky if you are not familiar with wrenching. It took me less than an hour to get them installed, then I realized the bar that goes from one side to the other was lightly touching the frame and vibrating so I had to make a small modification to make it fit perfectly. The hardest part is the one nut particularly on the left side of the bike, had to find the best tools to fit between the header pipe and that one nut but once I found what worked best for me it was no problem. Very happy with the overall look and feeling of security they offer.
What mod did you do to make the cross bar fit? I just installed these on my 2020 and ran into the same issue, I haven't taken it out for a ride yet but I do have some touching on the frame.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I noticed that the problem was the right side bar near the brake reservoir had no more clearance to move forward and make the cross bar clear so I carefully made a small notch where the puig bar was touching the reservoir mount and dabbed a bit of black paint on the notched area to keep the metal protected. I made the notch in the bar itself not any of the OEM pieces. It doesn't seem like it will hurt the structure of the bar since it was so small but just a tiny bit made all the difference. It was quite annoying when everything was bolted up and I was checking how solid the bars were and heard the vibrations to think I had to squeeze in and remove the annoying nuts again! I tried loosening everything and having someone pull the whole assembly forward while I retightened but still not enough which is when I noticed the area with clearance issues.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I noticed that the problem was the right side bar near the brake reservoir had no more clearance to move forward and make the cross bar clear so I carefully made a small notch where the puig bar was touching the reservoir mount and dabbed a bit of black paint on the notched area to keep the metal protected. I made the notch in the bar itself not any of the OEM pieces. It doesn't seem like it will hurt the structure of the bar since it was so small but just a tiny bit made all the difference. It was quite annoying when everything was bolted up and I was checking how solid the bars were and heard the vibrations to think I had to squeeze in and remove the annoying nuts again! I tried loosening everything and having someone pull the whole assembly forward while I retightened but still not enough which is when I noticed the area with clearance issues.
That’s interesting. I wonder if the bars are exactly the same or if there’s slight variations in the manufacturing.

Good to know though. I’ll keep your hack in mind if I run into the same thing.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hopefully you dont need to as it was really disappointing having to take it back apart after realizing it, but there was no way to know until everything was tightened down fully. Let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
16 Posts
RevZilla says neither the R&G nor Puig bars will fit my bike. As far as I can tell there’s nothing different about the Cafe that would make a difference.

Has anyone put crash bars on a 2020 KVS Cafe? Recommendations needed!
I installed the Baron custom highway bar on my VN900 and it fit perfect. Baron part # BA-7174-00 got mine from Dennis Kirk.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hopefully you dont need to as it was really disappointing having to take it back apart after realizing it, but there was no way to know until everything was tightened down fully. Let us know how it goes!
Easy install and I didn't feel or hear any vibrations or rattling. You're right, the cross bar is almost right up against the frame. I'll keep an eye on that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I installed the Baron custom highway bar on my VN900 and it fit perfect. Baron part # BA-7174-00 got mine from Dennis Kirk.
They're chrome, right? I already bought and installed the Puigs. I don't think I would have gone chrome. BTW, they're out of stock, so they must be popular. I'd like to see how they look if you have a pic.

·
Registered
16 Posts
They're chrome, right? I already bought and installed the Puigs. I don't think I would have gone chrome. BTW, they're out of stock, so they must be popular. I'd like to see how they look if you have a pic.
Yes and really strong and nice looking. Trying to figure how to post a picture 🤪

·
Registered
11 Posts
mine definitely looks like it’s touching the frame, but I don’t hear any vibration. I went for a 30mi ride and everything looks and seems fine.

·
Registered
113 Posts
When I finished the first time I kinda hit it with my hand from the sides to feel how sturdy it was and immediately heard the rattling from that which drew my attention to it touching the frame, figured better safe than sorry so that's when I did my little modifications to it and now it's got plenty of clearance.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts