Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. just bought the bike in March, I have put a 1000km thus far. My speedometer is out 5 % on the fast side, so I have to add 5% to my speedometer reading to drive at the desired speed, for example, if I want to do 60 I have my speedo has to read 63. I thought it would be an easy fix, I'll change the rear sprocket and drop about 3 teeth. so I did, I went from the stock 46 tooth to a 43 took a couple of links out of the chain, everything went smooth until I drove it with my GPS. I was thinking the 2 would be fairly close but to my surprise, the speedo is out 5 % it did not change the speedo at all. the only thing that would make sense to me is the speed sensor is getting its reading from the rear ABS sensor. everything I've read says if you change your gear you change your speedometer. back to looking at a speedo healer, I guess. wonder when they mad the change?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Putting extra miles on the bike too, I'd look at a recalibration if possible. Warranty issue?

·
Registered
34 Posts
There’s a regulation that allows the speedo to be too fast by as much as... 10%, I think, but it can never read under. For that reason, to make sure they never run under, most motorcycle speedometers run high. But if you check the odometer by the GPS, you might find it to be accurate.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I find mine is fast by 3 mph as well. I had a radar thingy near my house for a while.... Nissan Leaf 0.5 mph over, Chevy Volt 1.5 over, Vulcan S 2.5 over. None of them under :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
306 Posts
Speed calculation is typically taken from the ABS ring/sensor system on most modern bikes...not from an RPM/gear ratio calculation. This is why a sprocket change will usually not result in an indicated speed difference if you add/reduce sprocket teeth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
My 2016 is off by about 5 mph. When im.doing let's 60 it's really 55. Pretty common for these bikes. Just go 5 mph faster 🙂

·
Premium Member
939 Posts
I have a 2016 when I changed from the 46 to a 43 It put it dead on. however since someone pointed pout that the speedo has changed the pickup location guess you will have to go with one of those calibration units. But really don't you think that the smoothness was worth the sprocket change?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a 2016 when I changed from the 46 to a 43 It put it dead on. however since someone pointed pout that the speedo has changed the pickup location guess you will have to go with one of those calibration units. But really don't you think that the smoothness was worth the sprocket change?
yes, the change of sprocket made a world of difference. I put a few miles on tonight to make sure. I live in the sticks so it is all highway out here, acceleration did not change much so I love the change, I would do it again for sure

1 - 13 of 13 Posts