Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couple questions for everyone....

Installed a new LED headlight bulb today and it was such a nice day here I figured I’d fire up my KVS for the first time this year for a quick spin....

Bike fired right up, but a couple things that concerned me. This is my first spring with the bike so never had to winterize it before.

When I stared it, the engine had a tiny bit of smoke coming from it. Blueish, like it was burning off oil. Lasted a few seconds and was fine after. Concern number two was that I had a very small pool of green liquid under the bike after letting it idle for 5-10 minutes. I looked under the bike and for the life of me I could not see a leak or anything wet....

I let the bike idle for 10-15 minutes and it seemed fine. A bit rough at first but it smoothed out. Took it for a 10 minute spin and it all seemed fine as well.

I plan to get it in for an oil change soon so I will mention it at that time but what are your thoughts on the engine smoke and green liquid (coolant?)

Appreciate your advice/thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
261 Posts
Probably coolant overflow - the hose exits by the horn - see if it’s wet. If you idle the bike for too long, the coolant heats up and expands. The fan may have kicked in but still not as good as actually riding the bike to get some air flowing through the fins.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for taking a bit to reply to the thread....oil and coolant levels are fine. I've had the bike started and rode it a few times since, and I have not noticed anymore issues like I described in my first post. Regardless it's going in for a spring oil change in a week so I'll get them to take a look. Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
next time you winterize your bike put a cup of seafoam in the gas tank and fill the tank up with gas to expel all the air to prevent condensation inside the tank which can turn the inside of the gas tank to rust, with no air there's no rust, take your battery out and put it on a delray 1.25 amp automatic battery tender, (not trickle charger), top up your tire pressure in spring cause tires lose air during storage, and that green fluid is coolant overflow, don't know what the blue smoke is

1 - 5 of 5 Posts