Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!!

I picked up a used 2017 Vulcan S Cafe with 345 miles this weekend. Dealer trade in from a rider that couldn't handle it. Killer price and since it came from a dealer was able to get extended warranty even though it's practically new :).

That being said the dealership was not a Kawasaki dealer so I had to call around this morning to the certified Kawasaki Ergo-Fit Centers to see if anyone could make the ergo-fit adjustments to it from Mid to Reduced fit.

Being a woman, i was expecting to deal with the "service center" games.. but i was shocked on the first 2 service/parts managers had no clue what i was talking about and the ergo-fit system. The one guy even had to ask someone else if they were an ergo-fit certified dealer (LOL--that was enough to lose my confidence and guarantee not to take my bike there EVER).

My 3rd call was to a dealer who new exactly what I needed and said I could even get the parts myself or they order them and they will gladly do the adjustment. Much better experience (at least on the phone) and seemed to know the system and bike well (ordered my parts off partzilla) and will be on my way for the swap out next week.

I've read in the forum how dealerships don't seem to know the Ergo-fit system very well and i got to experience that first hand! I am really shocked... Kawasaki could certainly sell a lot more motorcycles with some dealership.

Does anyone have any suggestions or anything else I should look for once the adjustment is made outside of ensuring all the lights and can maneuver the steering column safely from left/right without any issues? Thanks for your patience and help in advance!

:laugh2: :grin2:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Was wondering if your going to Rt 51 dealership near the ice arena? That's where I got mine. I think they used mine for 'Ergo- practice' LOL

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What dealership did you go to? I called all around Pittsburgh and didn't see on RT 51 on kawasaki website... I thought the one on rt 51 was only yamaha or honda now...

·
Registered
22 Posts
There is a wire loop u can install to put beginner tune in it and a throttle restricter. Search lams derestrict

Other than that don't forget there is still some adjustment once rods and bars are installed.

Also a exaust and booster plug may make throttle less choppy.

Start with reduced reach pegs there the cheapest, if your going for a seat maybee consider a custom seat or a corbin seat.

You can also get crash bars

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just installed a Corbin seat to address the painful tailbone pressure the stock mid reach seat was giving me. Once the Corbin was installed, it moved my riding position back what feels like two inches. Now the bars feel farther away and harder to reach. I have no issues with the foot pegs or controls however. Just something to look out for if you put all of the time into getting the ergo fit right, upgrading to a Corbin seat may impact your sizing for the bike. The seat is really comfortable, so it is worth the extra reach for me.

Happy Riding. I'm in New Castle. Good to hear of another Western PA Vulcan S rider.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, can someone tell me what the Ergo Fit is??

cheers Keith
hey @stikflote

Kawasaki makes the bike with 3 different changes that can be made (seat, peg position, handlebars) to accommodate the size and preference of the rider. When you buy the bike new, it will be configured for free to the settings of your choice.

If you purchase the bike used like I did, you will need to buy the parts and pay labor to have it reconfigured... In my case, the used bike came with the mid settings.. and I'm getting them changed to reduced fit... (I purchased the parts off partzilla and will pay the dealer labor to install them)

here is a good video a contributor on the boards made to show the difference in the ergo fit components

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just installed a Corbin seat to address the painful tailbone pressure the stock mid reach seat was giving me. Once the Corbin was installed, it moved my riding position back what feels like two inches. Now the bars feel farther away and harder to reach. I have no issues with the foot pegs or controls however. Just something to look out for if you put all of the time into getting the ergo fit right, upgrading to a Corbin seat may impact your sizing for the bike. The seat is really comfortable, so it is worth the extra reach for me.

Happy Riding. I'm in New Castle. Good to hear of another Western PA Vulcan S rider.

Well hey there neighbor ;-) Thanks for the info, i saw the Corbin seat mods on other posts.. it's a beautiful seat! Congrats on the purchase! It's however good to know that i will lose 2 more inches with that mod.. thank you! I'm only 5'4" so that 2 inches is significant :grin2:

·
Premium Member
930 Posts
Oreo , I am 5'2" so I feel ya, I did try a borbin but could no longer flat foot it. With the ergo stuff there will be no worries with the lights clearing etc. I Don't know what the derestricting is about since the US models have no restrictions. When you inset the gear shift linkage rod don't tighten it UNTIL you sit on the scooter with your RIDING boots on. You will probably wanna see how easily your toe moves under the shifter and I have sound that if I am lazy and have any tension on the shifter arm it may not fully release for the next shift. I did not put the reduced reach bars on , I ride aggressively and the standard reach bars allow me to put more weight over the front end in turns. I sent a reduced reach seat to Mean City Cycles and it was an improvement but... not perfect. Wes Ben was happy with the Spencer mod ( and it was cheaper) so I had that done, it has to be a mid reach seat but so far I am happiest with it, though I have not done any 300-400 mile days with it yet. I PM Wes-Ben to see if she remembers the website name.. Ride safe , You are gonna LOVE the S.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Spencer seat mod www.greatdaytoride.com

I PM Wes-Ben to see if she remembers the website name.. Ride safe , You are gonna LOVE the S.

Here is Spencers info. I've also pasted what he sent me with regard to the limitations of the stock seat pan. In the end, I did not go with Spencer, I went with a local guy. That said, I think this guy knows what he's doing and does it for a very reasonable price.

Linda,

Thank you for your interest in my work and the information. Before we proceed I just need to make it clear I only work on the OEM standard (mid) version of the Vulcan S rider seat. Neither the optional lower or taller "Ergo Fit"seats is accepted for modification.
With all of the late model stock Vulcan seats (Both the S and 1700) Kawasaki made a huge departure from their traditionally deep and "tractor" bucket shaped cruiser seats for a more stylized shape and extremely thin foam (by cruiser standards). It also suffers from a squared depression molded in the seat pan where the cords that pass through the seat foam and pan to secure the seat cover are attached. This indentation has almost no foam covering and sits right at the riders spine, just under the seam in the seating area. If you flip your stock seat over you will clearly see the concern.

What this means is that while it absolutely can be improved for increased comfort and function, its basic exterior shape, width, height, and general rider position cannot be changed so before I provide a quote I need to make sure it is understood up front that modification of this seat will be relative to the limitations inherent in its design. These seats can be made better for pleasure riders, commuters, and shorter trips, but honestly, if touring or longer days in the saddle are your goal, or you find the stock unit to be a serious problem that needs more than tweaking, I would strongly recommend switching to a complete aftermarket seat that replaces the stock pan.

For your Vulcan S factory seat (again, "Mid" only please) the usual modifications to the rider section are the creation of an actual seating pocket so that you sit more in the seat rather than on it, softening of the frontal midline to take pressure off of the crotch, along with correcting the too quick of a "turn up" at the rear of the seat to take pressure off of the tailbone and allow the back of the seat to actually give some support. If you add the Supracor suspension material included in the LD upgrade (which is strongly recommended given the seats concerns) it will allow a more form fitting and weight distributing shape, reduced vibration in the seat, and dampening of road shock. These changes help to distribute your weight across the seat rather than concentrating it in the center which allows more contact to help stop the pressure points. The Supracor works for the rider because it is a dynamic material with an instant rebound. It moves with you, working with your weight shifts for proper bike control. If you use a material in the rider section that "takes a set" it locks you in one position and fights against you. This is the main problem with foams as the rider is constantly moving, even while cruising the highway you are making small corrections in your weight distribution. You can find more information about the material HERE. The exterior appearance and dimensions of the seat are unchanged at rest so the stock seat cover stitching will all still line up correctly. You will absolutely know that positive changes have taken place when you ride.

Pricing would be the standard minimum of $50 for the actual work to the rider section and a $25 material charge for the Supracor. As mentioned all of my work is done within the stock foam form, creating a new internal shape and supporting structure. Your original stock cover will be re-installed after my work is complete so must be free of holes, rips, and not be dried out/cracked. I do not accept damaged or previously altered seats for modification.
A photo of you on the bike is helpful and appreciated, but not an absolute necessity. Each seat is set up specifically for the rider so any additional information you think I may need regarding your position, type of riding, any medical concerns you may have should be listed in the special instructions area on the order form. When you think you have given me too much information, just a little more should be about right.

Please feel free to ship at your convenience, all I ask is that you drop me note when you do so I can properly set my schedule. My current turnaround is no more than 48 hours so your only real downtime will be in shipping. If you visit my web site you can find the Order Form as well as my FAQ page which contains more information regarding shipping, payment, and a bunch (probably too much) general information. Contact me any time if you have questions.

Thanks again and ride safe, Spencer

Spencers Seat Mods - Home Page - Custom Motorcycle Seats, Motorcycle Seat Modifications, Motorcycle Seat Mods

1 - 13 of 13 Posts