Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a test drive yesterday afternoon. The wife and I took the afternoon off and took my current ride, 1500 Custom Classic FI, to the dealer. It was a beautiful day, sunny and 80 degrees and the 1-hour long ride down was great. I only have a small windshield on my current bike, and we get a lot of wind and noise. Nonetheless, it is a good bike and has served me well. I have a Mustang seat and backrest on it along with loader pipes, etc. You know you make it "yours" over the years.

Getting a test drive on the new bike was good. The windshield is way too high, but that an easy fix. It drove pretty well with loud gear shifts and not enough pipe noise. There was a whine from the bike, probably from the belt drive. It was not loud, and I am sure louder pipes will take care of this. Again, you get used to what you currently have. Here are some of my observations.

Handlebar Controls: They seemed intuitive and are shared from the 2000 Vulcan, so they were in a familiar spot. Of course, there are more of them for the cruise and radio controls.

Engine: While certainly powerful, I was expecting more. My 1500 seemed just as quick. With the added weight and running lean out of the factory, it retarded its performance. With tuning and mods, I am sure you will get more out of it. Now I understand those that state Ivan's ECU flash makes such a difference. It did backfire a good bit during deceleration. Especially when hot.

Heat: Pleasantly surprised of the overall heat it threw off. I was expecting more, so that was a big positive. However, I was not standing still too long during the ride. The temp gauge was 1-mark past the center line, and the fan did come on.

Passenger Confort: My wife loved her seat and positioning. Also, with a full fairing, there was a lot less wind and noise. We were able to communicate easily unlike when on my current bike. My wife has problems with her ears and is very sensitive to sound. So the lack of wind noise was an excellent sign. However, when installing a shorter windshield, I wonder how this may change.

My comfort was a bit different than my wife. As I stated, I have a Mustang seat which scooped out and lower than my stock seat my current bike. The seat sits me lower, and at the same time puts me back towards the rear of the bike. I have grown accustomed to the positioning and feel.

I am not happy with the stock seat on the Vulcan 1700. I can handle extra height, but the seat is not scooped out. It is hare to explain, but there is an angle transition from the pan of the seat to the top where your lower back is supported. This angle is approximately 45 degrees, so this transition goes much further towards the front of the bike where it meets the seat pan as compared to my current Mustang seat. The result is that I am pushed forward on the seat, and my tailbone rests on the transition. Bottom line, the new setup is not as comfortable as the bike I ride today.

I have to do some investigating on new seats and what they accomplish. Ideally, I would like to sit back a bit and if at all possible lower me down. Overall, I am impressed at its value at the same time; it can be so much better with some changes. That is the beauty of it; you get to customize as you see fit. Just have to make sure I can get the right seat and positioning.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
The seat for me was a little high, making my footing while stopped sketchy at times. I cut the foam down about an inch and slightly scooped it, then recovered. This made a nice improvement for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Soooooo did you pull the trigger?
Have not pulled the trigger yet. Reviewing seating options and reading a lot about them. I talked to Mustang, Ultimate, and Mean City for modifications. Getting a better understanding of what I can make happen. Also, a used Harley came available in my area that I want to see with the wife. I hope to have all reviewed by the end of the week.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
I Love my Vaquero with a 2up corbin seat, it was pricey and stiff at first but now it feels like riding my lazyboy recliner!
No regrets!

·
Registered
91 Posts
2016 Voyager

I purchased a 2016 Voyager in March. I added the Mustang seat w/driver backrest. I had this same style seat on my 1600 Nomad for several years. The stock Voyager seat is not too bad for a stock seat, but the Mustang seat is worth the money for me. I did have an issue with fit, install of the new Mustang seat. Ended up returning to Mustang for seat pan issues. Mustang resolved the problem......customer service was very good. I completed the first service on the Voyager and found and fixed a couple of dash rattles. The drive belt noise was noticeable to me. I checked and the alignment marks were off from the factory. Made the adjustment and seems to be better now. This is my first belt driven bike and I have no idea what may sound "normal". Prior to the last 1600 Nomad, I rode eight different GoldWings for 35 years. Overall, I like this Voyager for my riding style now being 64 years old. It rides good, sounds good and gets 42 / 43 mpg on 89 octane. My wife likes it too especially since there is hardly any passenger "buffeting" at speed. As for the "other" brand, do some research on cam chain adjuster failure and rusting issues. No bike is perfect, but we buy what we want and can afford. I think the Voyager is a good value in today's market. Regardless of what you buy.....enjoy the ride and ride safe!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I purchased a 2016 Voyager in March. I added the Mustang seat w/driver backrest. I had this same style seat on my 1600 Nomad for several years. The stock Voyager seat is not too bad for a stock seat, but the Mustang seat is worth the money for me. I did have an issue with fit, install of the new Mustang seat. Ended up returning to Mustang for seat pan issues. Mustang resolved the problem......customer service was very good. I completed the first service on the Voyager and found and fixed a couple of dash rattles. The drive belt noise was noticeable to me. I checked and the alignment marks were off from the factory. Made the adjustment and seems to be better now. This is my first belt driven bike and I have no idea what may sound "normal". Prior to the last 1600 Nomad, I rode eight different GoldWings for 35 years. Overall, I like this Voyager for my riding style now being 64 years old. It rides good, sounds good and gets 42 / 43 mpg on 89 octane. My wife likes it too especially since there is hardly any passenger "buffeting" at speed. As for the "other" brand, do some research on cam chain adjuster failure and rusting issues. No bike is perfect, but we buy what we want and can afford. I think the Voyager is a good value in today's market. Regardless of what you buy.....enjoy the ride and ride safe!
Thanks for your insight, very helpful. I have a few questions regarding your Mustang seat. Did you find it to sit deeper in a pocket and move you further back? The stock seat seems to push me more forward than I would like. How about the overall height. Did that change? Finally, how does your wife like it when riding two up? I have read that it has a tendency to pitch the passenger forward and thus having to move back and adjust their positioning.

I have a Mustang seat on my current Vulcan, a 2000 1500 Custom Classic and love it.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I have a Corbin Young Guns seat for my Vaquero - very comfortable, and it puts you down and back a bit. Unfortunately, I'm too short, so I gotta put pullbacks on the handlebars to get rid of some upper back pain from stretching too far.

Other than that, the gear/belt whine you hear could be an over-tightened belt. My mechanic looked at my belt during the 600 mile service, and was appalled as to how tight it was from the dealer. He loosened it, and it made it a *ton* quieter. Now I hear exhaust and engine noises more than belt and gears.

-John

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
On my Voyager, the Mustang seat w/ DR puts you back a bit, but up a hair also. Risers are on my list to do, but not a hot priority until I get a few long trips scheduled here for later in year

·
Registered
91 Posts
LaskoFan....The Mustang seat did sit me back into more of a pocket. As for the height, it seems slightly lower to me. I rode a few hundred miles on the stock seat. I felt somewhat "cramped" on the stock seat. This feeling disappeared with the Mustang seat. Very similar to the Mustang w/driver backrest on my 1600 Nomad. As for the passenger issue with "pitching forward", that is nonexistent with the Mustang......VERIFIED this with my wife! LOL Another thing. The ABS brakes take a little bit to get used to. This is my first bike to have ABS and the first few times braking I noticed something different. Hard for me to explain, but no worry. I really like the braking system after putting some miles on and this thing will STOP quickly if needed. Go ahead and get that Voyager. I think you might just like it!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Yeah, +1 for ABS! I was riding in 25 degree weather this past winter, at night, on an unfamiliar road. I saw the sign for the exit I needed to take, started braking, and realized I had about 50-75ft before gravel, grass, and trees. I stood the bike up straight and stood on the brakes, both front and rear. Felt the rear end skipping and the front end grab, and managed to stop about 5ft short of the gravel. Good save. Side note: this is why I run lower pressure in the front in the winter time, so if any tire loses traction, it's the back one.

-John

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LaskoFan....The Mustang seat did sit me back into more of a pocket. As for the height, it seems slightly lower to me. I rode a few hundred miles on the stock seat. I felt somewhat "cramped" on the stock seat. This feeling disappeared with the Mustang seat. Very similar to the Mustang w/driver backrest on my 1600 Nomad. As for the passenger issue with "pitching forward", that is nonexistent with the Mustang......VERIFIED this with my wife! LOL Another thing. The ABS brakes take a little bit to get used to. This is my first bike to have ABS and the first few times braking I noticed something different. Hard for me to explain, but no worry. I really like the braking system after putting some miles on and this thing will STOP quickly if needed. Go ahead and get that Voyager. I think you might just like it!
Thanks very much for the follow up and information. It is good that we have options. I really like Mustang seats as I have ridden one for years. A seat upgrade is first on the upgrade list and this could be the one I decide to go with. Thanks again.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, +1 for ABS! I was riding in 25 degree weather this past winter, at night, on an unfamiliar road. I saw the sign for the exit I needed to take, started braking, and realized I had about 50-75ft before gravel, grass, and trees. I stood the bike up straight and stood on the brakes, both front and rear. Felt the rear end skipping and the front end grab, and managed to stop about 5ft short of the gravel. Good save. Side note: this is why I run lower pressure in the front in the winter time, so if any tire loses traction, it's the back one.

-John
I look forward to having ABS on my next bike. I would not get a bike without it.

What you described must have got your heart rate up a bit, not to mention increasing the pucker-factor. Good info on the front tire. Not really thought about nor rode a bike in 25-degree weather.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a Corbin Young Guns seat for my Vaquero - very comfortable, and it puts you down and back a bit. Unfortunately, I'm too short, so I gotta put pullbacks on the handlebars to get rid of some upper back pain from stretching too far.

Other than that, the gear/belt whine you hear could be an over-tightened belt. My mechanic looked at my belt during the 600 mile service, and was appalled as to how tight it was from the dealer. He loosened it, and it made it a *ton* quieter. Now I hear exhaust and engine noises more than belt and gears.

-John
John
I appreciate your reply and time. I will have to review the Corbin seat as a viable option. I always heard they a harder than others but once broken in is a great seat. I am looking to move back some and this seat achieves this.

·
Registered
490 Posts
John
I appreciate your reply and time. I will have to review the Corbin seat as a viable option. I always heard they a harder than others but once broken in is a great seat. I am looking to move back some and this seat achieves this.

I got mine used right here on the forum. Now to find the time to order the risers and then install them ...

-John

·
Registered
490 Posts
I look forward to having ABS on my next bike. I would not get a bike without it.

What you described must have got your heart rate up a bit, not to mention increasing the pucker-factor. Good info on the front tire. Not really thought about nor rode a bike in 25-degree weather.

Dude, you have *no* idea! My heart was beating so fast I got warm again, lol!

I had never ridden in such conditions on a motorcycle (13 FEB 2004 I rode a scooter in 8 degree weather for 2 hours. In a riding suit. Was plenty comfortable at 30mph, but that's another story). I had checked the tire pressures and just thought to myself that if I wanted *any* tire to lose traction, it was the rear, since that's the safer slide to correct. So that's how I set the bike up. Worked like a charm.

In the moment, I thought for sure that I was gonna bite it, and it was not a well-traveled area, which would've been bad news. Made it home safely, and knew for a fact that ABS had helped me. On my VN800B, which of course doesn't have ABS, I've kicked the rear end out many a time while panic-braking.

If I go for a ride in temps that low again (which is unlikely), I'll be wearing my riding suit. I had my heated glove wires already run through my jacket (which has a zip-in liner), so I wore that, over a sweatshirt and t-shirt. Jeans, and boots. Half helmet with balaclava underneath. The aforementioned heated gloves rounded out my gear for the evening. Chilly stuff. I think it took me 2 hours to thaw out when I got home that night.

-John

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I took a trip to the dark side. In my quest to review all options regarding my next bike, I rode a 2011 Harley-Davidson Electra Glide Ultra Limited. I wanted to see how the bike fit me versus the new Vulcan. One owner, very clean, 10K miles, upgraded with what I would do to lower its heat and increase power - new pipes, air kit, power tuner, windshield.

Unfortunately, I was impressed with the power, how the bike fit me and the wife, and its condition. Now I have another option in the mix. It would cost less, at least upfront, going with the used Harley. I would have a bike that fit me out of the gate without having to do anything but ride. On the downside, it is a Harley, and I have read many of stories of problems and the costs associated with keeping them running. I also have friends with them, they love their bikes and have no problem justifying the cost of upkeep.

On the flip side, I have had my 2000 Vulcan for the past 12-years. It has been a good bike with standard wear parts replaced and a rare non-maintenance item that required attention.

Going back to the dealer today to review my fit on the bike once again. My list of upgrades include a new seat or modifications to existing, V&H slip-ons, lower windshield, possible ECU flash and air kit, and I am sure others to make it mine. So there would be some work and additional money to get it to my liking, but that is the fun of it. Also, having 3-year warranty hast to be factored in.

·
Registered
17 Posts
On the downside, it is a Harley, and I have read many of stories of problems and the costs associated with keeping them running. I also have friends with them, they love their bikes and have no problem justifying the cost of upkeep.....
I don't think it's a downside at all. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Harley. Congrats! We need pictures!!

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I had a Corbin on my Voyager. It was TOO hard when I first got it, I ended up sending it back to have "comfort foam" installed. It was still hard as a rock, but the pocket was a lot more comfortable than the stock seat. It set me back a few inches and made the reach to the bars a little off so I needed to intall risers, which have their own set of problems.
BTW, I still have the seat & risers for sale in the classifieds here on the forum. :)

I understand the HD issue. I enjoy my FJR1300 for commuting one up; but two-up or rides longer than an hour are unpleasant. So.. I'm back in the market for a cruiser touring bike. I've had the Vulcan so I'm interest in getting something different; that leaves Indian, HD and the Honda F6B. Well, theirs the Yammy 1300 deluxe, but I'm looking for a mile eating berkolounger and the 1300 is a little small.

The pressed cranks and cam chain tensioners used in the HD 103s give me some concern. Add to that getting information online is filled with Fanboys, Haters and magazine writers more interested in selling ad space than writing a honest review. I'm not sure I want to take the chance that they're as bad as reported.

Scott

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I had a Corbin on my Voyager. It was TOO hard when I first got it, I ended up sending it back to have "comfort foam" installed. It was still hard as a rock, but the pocket was a lot more comfortable than the stock seat. It set me back a few inches and made the reach to the bars a little off so I needed to intall risers, which have their own set of problems.
BTW, I still have the seat & risers for sale in the classifieds here on the forum. :)

I understand the HD issue. I enjoy my FJR1300 for commuting one up; but two-up or rides longer than an hour are unpleasant. So.. I'm back in the market for a cruiser touring bike. I've had the Vulcan so I'm interest in getting something different; that leaves Indian, HD and the Honda F6B. Well, theirs the Yammy 1300 deluxe, but I'm looking for a mile eating berkolounger and the 1300 is a little small.

The pressed cranks and cam chain tensioners used in the HD 103s give me some concern. Add to that getting information online is filled with Fanboys, Haters and magazine writers more interested in selling ad space than writing a honest review. I'm not sure I want to take the chance that they're as bad as reported.

Scott
Scott,
Might review your items in the classifieds if I go with the Vulcan. You make valid points regarding the Fanboys, Haters, etc., there is just some much out there from all sides it makes my head spin. I have been doing a lot of reading and both sides are out in force.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts