Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for some advice on a purchase of a new 2016 Vulcan Voyager 1700. A little background. I have a 2000 Vulcan 1500 Custom Classic FI, and it is time to move up to a full dresser bike. I have had the 1500 since 2005 and have enjoyed it.

The wife and I would like to make some weekend trips and without a tour pack, more comfortable seating for her, and a sixth gear, it's not going to happen. I make a couple of decent yearly trips, approximately 1,500 miles with a few friends and they own Harley's and an Indian Roadmaster. All nice bikes, really like the Indian.

Have always taken some ribbing for my Vulcan. I'm good as it cost me under $5K, and while it does not have all the bells and whistles, It keeps up with them just fine. I would like to continue the tradition and roll up in a new Vulcan.

OK, so there are some good deals out there now, and I have a few questions. My main concerns are heat and lack of heated grips and heated seat. Heat is the most pressing issue. Will I be able to handle the heat the engine puts out without taking measures to combat it? Does the KAMS system work well enough? Should I use Ivan's ECU programming change to help with it or wait for maybe for new pipes?

There seems to plenty of heated grips available on the aftermarket. Corbin has a heated seat. So I have options, just don't know if I like the Corbin style (harder) seat. I have a Musting seat on my current bike a like it.

Since there are not a lot of these bikes out there or 2017 demo bikes available, I will not be able to take an extended test drive. I have watched a lot of videos and read a lot here. If I pull the trigger, I hope I like it on a long haul.

Finally, which windshield size do you have? I do not like to look through the windshield when I ride. I know there is a 14" and 12" available. I think the 14" maybe too tall as well. I am 5'-11" tall with a 31" inseam.

Thanks in advance for you reading this long post and your reply.

·
Registered
490 Posts
So, I've got a 2016 Vaquero... not quite the same thing, but it may still be applicable.

I installed a harness for heated gloves - FirstGear. I like them a lot. I used them down to 25 degrees, and while the rest of me was frozen, my hands were nice and warm.

Heat the engine puts off? It's bearable. I suggest highway pegs to get your legs out of the vortex of hot air. Lower covers are bad above 70 degrees, great at anything under that.

I find that the Vaquero seat (different from the Voyager seat) gets uncomfortable after an hour or so. The Corbin I have is really nice, and I like it, but it is too much of a stretch for me to reach the handlebars, which leads to back pain. I'll be installing pullback risers to fix that :D

Windshield! I have the 12" Klockwerks recurve screen on my Vaq. It's *phenomenal*! I can't recommend it enough. It's just tall enough to create a great bubble of calm wind for me, but I can still see over it.

Good luck!

-John

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Hello LaskoFan,

I thought we might be co-workers till I read your introduction thread.
Beautiful country up near West Chester. :)

The KAMS system works great. EVERY big combustion engine is gonna put out heat, the KAMS really does it's job though. I don't think you'll need to anything else but if you decide to wrap the header with exhaust wrap and you'll barely notice a difference from left side to right.
I would use a good 10W-40 full synthetic oil in the summer and not worry about pipes or Ivans. Unless you're looking for sound.

The fairing does a good job of keeping wind off your hands. I ride into the low 30s and only used winter gloves for my 20 minute commute. Longer trips in those temps will require something more; but I don't go out for long rides when it's below 40 so I can't help you there.

The Voyager is a great bike and a good value. As long as you evaluate it based on what it does and not what other people think; you'll be happy with the bike.

Scott

·
Registered
357 Posts
One thing about Ivan's ECU is that he lowers the temp for the fan to kick on. Factory temp for fan is 220, but Ivan sets it at 180.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, I've got a 2016 Vaquero... not quite the same thing, but it may still be applicable.

I installed a harness for heated gloves - FirstGear. I like them a lot. I used them down to 25 degrees, and while the rest of me was frozen, my hands were nice and warm.

Heat the engine puts off? It's bearable. I suggest highway pegs to get your legs out of the vortex of hot air. Lower covers are bad above 70 degrees, great at anything under that.

I find that the Vaquero seat (different from the Voyager seat) gets uncomfortable after an hour or so. The Corbin I have is really nice, and I like it, but it is too much of a stretch for me to reach the handlebars, which leads to back pain. I'll be installing pullback risers to fix that :D

Windshield! I have the 12" Klockwerks recurve screen on my Vaq. It's *phenomenal*! I can't recommend it enough. It's just tall enough to create a great bubble of calm wind for me, but I can still see over it.

Good luck!

-John
I really like the recurve screens. My buddy has one on his Indian and he, like you, can't say enough about it. Will be looking to get one if I pull the trigger on the bike. Are you saying the lower covers make it too hot when the temperature is above 70? Even with the cam flap open to allow air to pass through them?

·
Registered
547 Posts
I would get the Ivans ECU flash and then look at a Rifle shield. I have 14" and it's just right for my chubby 5'10" self...
I believe you can get heated seats from Ultimate... Just have to talk to them...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello LaskoFan,

I thought we might be co-workers till I read your introduction thread.
Beautiful country up near West Chester. :)

The KAMS system works great. EVERY big combustion engine is gonna put out heat, the KAMS really does it's job though. I don't think you'll need to anything else but if you decide to wrap the header with exhaust wrap and you'll barely notice a difference from left side to right.
I would use a good 10W-40 full synthetic oil in the summer and not worry about pipes or Ivans. Unless you're looking for sound.

The fairing does a good job of keeping wind off your hands. I ride into the low 30s and only used winter gloves for my 20 minute commute. Longer trips in those temps will require something more; but I don't go out for long rides when it's below 40 so I can't help you there.

The Voyager is a great bike and a good value. As long as you evaluate it based on what it does and not what other people think; you'll be happy with the bike.

Scott
Thanks for your input. If I get the bike I will take my time in order to change things. I want to make sure what I need and how it performs prior changing things up. I have a 1500 Vulcan today but no fairing so I really do not feel the heat like I assume I will with the newer bike. It will be interesting to feel how hot it gets and what my wife and I can take.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One thing about Ivan's ECU is that he lowers the temp for the fan to kick on. Factory temp for fan is 220, but Ivan sets it at 180.
I read that and looks like a good idea. Even a manual toggle switch for it may work as well. I am a little concerned with flashing the ECU in the warranty period. I would assume it would void the warranty. Do you know of this is the case?

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
I have a 2011 Nomad which is the same bike without the fairing and trunk (though I've now got the trunk kit, which is essentially the Voyager trunk). I've also got Ivan's flash, and a few other do dads. The seat on the Nomad is the same as the Voyager, and I find it very comfortable for all day trips. I've heard others say its a good seat "for a stock seat." All I have to compare it to is the seat on my 900, and this is wayyyy more comfortable than the 900 stock seat. Sixth gear and cruise control are great on the freeway. I find the bike very comfortable. I've seen some complain about the suspension, but to me, with the air shocks set right, it rides like a cadillac. It does give off heat, and I would think the Voyagers before the KAMS would have been worse due to the lower fairing. It's not too much for me, and the flash reduced it a bit (by my butt thermometer). Sounds like KAMS works.

I think these bikes are great deals. I bought mine as a new leftover in 2015 (yes, a brand new four year old bike) for a very good deal. I like my Nomad so much, that if it went away today, I'd buy a Voyager tomorrow. The only upgrade would be the fairing. I'd think about an Ultra, but I don't see the value for the $$ like the Voyager.

Just my opinion.

Happy and Safe Riding,
Dan

·
Registered
490 Posts
I really like the recurve screens. My buddy has one on his Indian and he, like you, can't say enough about it. Will be looking to get one if I pull the trigger on the bike. Are you saying the lower covers make it too hot when the temperature is above 70? Even with the cam flap open to allow air to pass through them?
Definitely get the recurve windshield!

As for the lowers, I have the leather sagebrush ones which clip and snap on. Anything over 70 degrees is way hot. Realistically, anything over 65 starts getting warm.

I don't have a cam flap on those leather suckers, but they're easy enough to put on and remove. I left 'em on for the whole winter, since my bike didn't sit more than a couple of weeks at a time :D

-John

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Note to Admin:

I didn't do a diligent search. :frown2:

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Sorry!

I missed a post that I thought was in this thread and didn't do a good enough initial search. I have found it now.

My apologies to you and the rest of the admin.

Scott

·
Registered
154 Posts
I bought a new 2016 Voyager in January. It was 23 degrees F. when I rode it home 25 miles. I have a pair of battery gloves that work fine for me on the very occassional times when I would ride in temps below 45 degrees. Stock 18 inch windscreen really too tall for my tastes but was glad to have it really in the cold weather Jan and Feb when I was putting on some miles.

I have 1400 miles on it now. I did get the Kawasaki touring gel seat from the dealer (he gave me 30% off any Kawasaki aftermarket stuff I got....great deal) That seat raised me up maybe an inch from the stock. Still the windscreen was too tall.

I did get a Slipstreamer 16 inch screen on Amazon for $51 shipped. The screen is just fine for me now....about nose level. I might get their 10 inch or 6 inch for the summer just to try them out. They are inexpensive. If I ride in the winter, I would consider putting the 18 inch screen on again. Lots of protection from the cold.

I only ride solo (wife has balance issues so riding not fun for her) I love the power, air ride and storage the Voyager offers. My first FI bike (I had a 2004 V Star 1100 before for 6 years).

I looked at the Ivans, but with the extended 6 year warrenty and with no plans to change exhaust or air system, I thought I would hold off. I do notice the popping on deceleration but otherwise the bike has so much power not really an issue as I approach my 64th birthdday <G>

I did the mirror extenders as well. Great $15 upgrade.....able to see behind so much better.

I have not ridden in temps above 60 degrees yet so no comment on the KAMS. I have only opened the little vent doors once...they keep out the cold air when closed and do let in cool air when open.

I did put a pair of the short Scootworks 1 1/2 inch risers on and like how the bars came back a bit. A much better feel for me. I am 5 foot 10 and 230 lbs.

Hope this helps as someone who just purchased one and getting broken in on it. It was sure an easy transition from my 1100 but it does weight about 400 lbs more. I don't push it around much! And I just invested in a Harbor Freight mechanic's stool that raises uup and down....makes cleaning and getting to the valve stems so much easier.

Good luck!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I bought a new 2016 Voyager in January. It was 23 degrees F. when I rode it home 25 miles. I have a pair of battery gloves that work fine for me on the very occassional times when I would ride in temps below 45 degrees. Stock 18 inch windscreen really too tall for my tastes but was glad to have it really in the cold weather Jan and Feb when I was putting on some miles.

I have 1400 miles on it now. I did get the Kawasaki touring gel seat from the dealer (he gave me 30% off any Kawasaki aftermarket stuff I got....great deal) That seat raised me up maybe an inch from the stock. Still the windscreen was too tall.

I did get a Slipstreamer 16 inch screen on Amazon for $51 shipped. The screen is just fine for me now....about nose level. I might get their 10 inch or 6 inch for the summer just to try them out. They are inexpensive. If I ride in the winter, I would consider putting the 18 inch screen on again. Lots of protection from the cold.

I only ride solo (wife has balance issues so riding not fun for her) I love the power, air ride and storage the Voyager offers. My first FI bike (I had a 2004 V Star 1100 before for 6 years).

I looked at the Ivans, but with the extended 6 year warrenty and with no plans to change exhaust or air system, I thought I would hold off. I do notice the popping on deceleration but otherwise the bike has so much power not really an issue as I approach my 64th birthdday <G>

I did the mirror extenders as well. Great $15 upgrade.....able to see behind so much better.

I have not ridden in temps above 60 degrees yet so no comment on the KAMS. I have only opened the little vent doors once...they keep out the cold air when closed and do let in cool air when open.

I did put a pair of the short Scootworks 1 1/2 inch risers on and like how the bars came back a bit. A much better feel for me. I am 5 foot 10 and 230 lbs.

Hope this helps as someone who just purchased one and getting broken in on it. It was sure an easy transition from my 1100 but it does weight about 400 lbs more. I don't push it around much! And I just invested in a Harbor Freight mechanic's stool that raises uup and down....makes cleaning and getting to the valve stems so much easier.

Good luck!
Thanks for your thoughts. I see a problem with getting the flash done when under warranty. If I pull the trigger and get this bike, I will have to evaluate my options based on performance. I foresee a new air intake and slip-on pipes. I am still concerned about the heat. Plan on riding one tomorrow and Saturday and feel it for myself. Should be about 75 degrees out.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I read that and looks like a good idea. Even a manual toggle switch for it may work as well. I am a little concerned with flashing the ECU in the warranty period. I would assume it would void the warranty. Do you know of this is the case?
I also have the 6 year warranty on my Voyager. I bought the bike new on 2/22/17. I had 30 miles on the bike when I did the Ivans flash. I have been told by multiple people that for them to deny warranty, they have to prove that the ECU was what caused the problem. The bike runs better and cooler then the factory tune so it is better for the bike (IMO) anyway.

There are dealers out there that take brand new bikes that are sitting on their floor and doing the Ivans reflash, pipes, and big air kits and they are still covered under factory warranty. Car dealers have been doing this for years and years. I do remember reading somewhere (might have even been on here) that the President of Kawasaki USA himself said that they want customers to customize their motorcycles so why would Kawasaki void the warranty for something that had no bearing on the failure in question?

Just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I also have the 6 year warranty on my Voyager. I bought the bike new on 2/22/17. I had 30 miles on the bike when I did the Ivans flash. I have been told by multiple people that for them to deny warranty, they have to prove that the ECU was what caused the problem. The bike runs better and cooler then the factory tune so it is better for the bike (IMO) anyway.

There are dealers out there that take brand new bikes that are sitting on their floor and doing the Ivans reflash, pipes, and big air kits and they are still covered under factory warranty. Car dealers have been doing this for years and years. I do remember reading somewhere (might have even been on here) that the President of Kawasaki USA himself said that they want customers to customize their motorcycles so why would Kawasaki void the warranty for something that had no bearing on the failure in question?

Just my 2 cents...
interesting thoughts and I like your thought process. I will check with my dealer and see how they deal with such a thing. Had a good test drive today and will post in a separate thread.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Kawasaki does make a heated seat for the Voyager, and installation is pretty easy. It has a plug on the right side, near the battery for it. I bought the gel seat instead, because for me it is much more comfortable. The Voyager has easily enough available watts for heated grips. My only suggestion, would be to install a small fuse block to connect it to so if there is a problem with a short it won't affect anything else. I haven't done any mods to the fuel injection or exhaust, only because for what it use the bike for, stock is fine...for now at least lol.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Kawasaki does make a heated seat for the Voyager, and installation is pretty easy. It has a plug on the right side, near the battery for it. I bought the gel seat instead, because for me it is much more comfortable. The Voyager has easily enough available watts for heated grips. My only suggestion, would be to install a small fuse block to connect it to so if there is a problem with a short it won't affect anything else. I haven't done any mods to the fuel injection or exhaust, only because for what it use the bike for, stock is fine...for now at least lol.
I asked my dealer last week if Kawasaki made a heated seat for this 2015 Voyager I am considering and they said no. I'm gonna go looking again...

Ahh okay. I searched and there is no heated seat anymore. Was discontinued, read in a thread on here. I guess they used to make one.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts