Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, and apologies in advance if this has been discussed. I picked up this bike last fall and just absolutely love it. It had 20,000 miles on it, so I've replaced plugs and air filter, changed oil, lubed chain, and I think that's about it. I've put about 1000 miles on it so far, and I wonder if I'm not doing something right when riding through town. When I get into spots where it's a long stretch of about 40 mph I'm just not quite sure where to be on gear/rpm. When I have it 4th about 3K rpm it will sometimes do a bit of surging or cutting out or I'm not sure what you'd call it. Any ideas? I've found I can go to 3rd and run higher rpm and it's fine, but kinda feel like I should be able to cruise at the 3-4K better than I am. Perhaps riding my Dad's $20,000 Indian Springfield has set the cruising bar too high lol.

Coming off of a Versys x300 that was my starter bike (fantastic starter bike btw), but it didn't have any torque and just went buzz buzz buzz whether you were at 1000 or 8000 rpm. :)

Anyway, appreciate any tips you might have, thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi, and apologies in advance if this has been discussed. I picked up this bike last fall and just absolutely love it. It had 20,000 miles on it, so I've replaced plugs and air filter, changed oil, lubed chain, and I think that's about it. I've put about 1000 miles on it so far, and I wonder if I'm not doing something right when riding through town. When I get into spots where it's a long stretch of about 40 mph I'm just not quite sure where to be on gear/rpm. When I have it 4th about 3K rpm it will sometimes do a bit of surging or cutting out or I'm not sure what you'd call it. Any ideas? I've found I can go to 3rd and run higher rpm and it's fine, but kinda feel like I should be able to cruise at the 3-4K better than I am. Perhaps riding my Dad's $20,000 Indian Springfield has set the cruising bar too high lol.

Coming off of a Versys x300 that was my starter bike (fantastic starter bike btw), but it didn't have any torque and just went buzz buzz buzz whether you were at 1000 or 8000 rpm. :)

Sounds fairly normal, they like being up above 3500 as a minimum, a Booster plug might help but otherwise seems ok to me.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Are you talking about engine braking? Because mine has some pretty severe engine braking between 30-40 in 4th and 5th gears.

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts

I went down to a 43 tooth on the rear sprocket going to a 16-tooth on the counter shaft sprocket gives the same effect stretches out the first two gear and you get rid of that issue

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
I've been reading about it but have seen that it only seems to work for a bit and then the ecu compensates and the bike goes back to heavy engine braking. What are your thoughts on this?
I had the booster plug and it was okay Don't get me wrong but for only $70 more you can get the ECU flash and that makes a world of difference.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've been reading about it but have seen that it only seems to work for a bit and then the ecu compensates and the bike goes back to heavy engine braking. What are your thoughts on this?
Yes I seen that post, that not the general consensus, his must have failed or something, vast majority of people swear by them, mine works fine and would never disconnect it. The severe engine breaking on these bikes can be very scary at times.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts