Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Vulcan Vaquero ABS
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Joined to find support and ideas for my 2016 Vaquero with Freedom True Dual Black Exhaust, RoaringToyz straight 8 intake, Power Commander V. I purchased this used a few months back with all of these upgrades already installed. Started having an issue a week ago that is difficult to describe, but I will try.

I will be riding along and instantly lose power, it will sound like it’s sucking air, rpms @ 500. If I try to give it throttle it will die completely. These episodes last anywhere from ten seconds to several minutes. When it comes out of it the rpms slowly regain and then she runs “normal”.

All of the other issues seem to be fixable with the help of Ivan. This is going to have to wait until I have some extra money. Until then I was hoping for help with my PCV. I am looking for some Maps for my current setup and some insight into my current issue.

There also seems to be an intermittent tapping/rattling noise coming from the rear cylinder. This gets much louder when the motor is hot.

·
Registered
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S, 2020 Kawasaki Z900
1,019 Posts
Welcome from Pennsylvania and great looking bike! Sorry I am not familiar with your model however there are many knowledgeable people here who will probably be able to guide you to the maps.

·
Registered
2016 Vulcan Vaquero ABS
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome from Pennsylvania and great looking bike! Sorry I am not familiar with your model however there are many knowledgeable people here who will probably be able to guide you to the maps.
Thank you very much. I have been reading and “stalking” this forum since the day I got my bike. Really seems like my kind of people, kind, patient, helpful. Finally took the leap and joined. Favorite thing about my bike... it’s not a Harley. I just feel the need to be different and I love riding down the road and not seeing my bike everywhere.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Congrats on the bike, and welcome to the family. Vulcan engines are notoriously 'clacky' but the sound you describe could be excessive valve lash. This engine has hydraulic lash adjusters and at that age, you shouldn't be experiencing internal mechanical problems. This may sound stupid, but do you use the defined procedure to check oil level? This bike has a semi dry sump and checking the oil is more complicated than just pulling the stick. As far as the power problem. First thing to do is disconnect the commander and see if the problem goes away. You'll be running a bit lean, but I'm not suggesting a permanent change, just to see if the problem is commander associated. Good luck!

·
Registered
2016 Vulcan Vaquero ABS
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Congrats on the bike, and welcome to the family. Vulcan engines are notoriously 'clacky' but the sound you describe could be excessive valve lash. This engine has hydraulic lash adjusters and at that age, you shouldn't be experiencing internal mechanical problems. This may sound stupid, but do you use the defined procedure to check oil level? This bike has a semi dry sump and checking the oil is more complicated than just pulling the stick. As far as the power problem. First thing to do is disconnect the commander and see if the problem goes away. You'll be running a bit lean, but I'm not suggesting a permanent change, just to see if the problem is commander associated. Good luck!
Thank you for the warm welcome. I was unaware of a procedure to check the oil so that is good to know. I will pull the commander and check it out today.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I see you bought the bike used. Did you get an owner's manual with it? If not, let us know. At some point I'm sure Tourer will chime in with a link to the service manual as well. The manual has temp/time table to follow, but here's a simplified version of what I do.

Start the engine. Let it run until the temp gauge hits the second hash mark. With the bike upright and level, let it cool down for 5 minutes. Now check the dipstick. Mine's a '17 so it should be the same bike mechanically.

·
Registered
2016 Vulcan Vaquero ABS
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I see you bought the bike used. Did you get an owner's manual with it? If not, let us know. At some point I'm sure Tourer will chime in with a link to the service manual as well. The manual has temp/time table to follow, but here's a simplified version of what I do.

Start the engine. Let it run until the temp gauge hits the second hash mark. With the bike upright and level, let it cool down for 5 minutes. Now check the dipstick. Mine's a '17 so it should be the same bike mechanically.
Thank you, that helps a ton. I did not get a manual with it. I would definitely love to have access to one.

·
Registered
2016 Vulcan Vaquero ABS
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you, now for my next question (s)... I checked the oil, it looks good, probably going to change it anyways... I disconnected the power commander from the ECU, do I need to disconnect it from the throttle body? as well? Are there a certain amount of run cycles it must go through before it goes back to normal settings? So far it seems to be running exactly the same and I am just trying to see if the problem is persisting... it’s very intermittent and unpredictable.

I feel as though I just need to hurry up and pony up the money for Ivan.

·
Registered
2020 Vulcan Voyager
246 Posts
Welcome from Kennesaw GA!

There are others far more capable than me to help you with your issues, but I just wanted to tell you that's a sweet looking ride.

·
Registered
2016 Vulcan Vaquero ABS
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome from Kennesaw GA!

There are others far more capable than me to help you with your issues, but I just wanted to tell you that's a sweet looking ride.
Thanks bud, funny story... I grew up in Acworth, attended North Cobb Christian School and Etowah High School. Thought it was neat to find someone from that area. Live in Maine now..

·
Registered
2016 Vulcan Vaquero ABS
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
2016 Vulcan Vaquero ABS
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok.... so I checked the intake manifold and throttle body with starting fluid. I discovered that I have a significant leak at the intake manifold/front cylinder and on the intake manifold/throttle body. We have now removed the throttle body, intake manifold and all other implied parts to get to those easily. Very clearly been leaking for awhile. My question now is about this mythical gasket from thunder I keep reading about but can’t find. Any suggestions on people to talk to or methods to shore up the seals at these points?

Also, since everything was apart, disabled, and accessible I have completely removed the power commander and I am sending the ECU to Ivan tomorrow....

I will now commence to sit, stare, and cry and my currently unrideable Vaquero...

·
Registered
2020 Vulcan Voyager
246 Posts
Thanks bud, funny story... I grew up in Acworth, attended North Cobb Christian School and Etowah High School. Thought it was neat to find someone from that area. Live in Maine now..
I live behind North Cobb HS, about a mile away from North Cobb Christian. It's a really small world sometimes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts