Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 450 mile on my 2016 Vaquero.. I've noticed that when I come to a stop at a stop sign or light, for example. The front Brake shudders then goes smooth, like grabs, gives a little shudder and goes smooth. i also noticed that it is most noticeable with the rear brake applied only.

It also does the shudder with both brakes applied and sometime with just the front brake..

it does it almost every stop... new ebc pads did not resolve the problem..

I've seen another post with the same problem but no real info about the cause.

I think it is the K-act causing a grab on the front brakes..

does anybody else have this or know why it does it..
Astounding is online now Report Post

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think that is the ABS brakes modulating. Mine does that. It's kind of a vibration in the brakes.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok. I'm starting to get a better picture of this system. I also read that when applying only the rear brake causes the k-act system to only engage the right front caliper. That might explain the shudder as well.

I'm going to try and disable the abs to rule that out.
And check the steering head for proper adjustment.

Dealer has no knowledge of this but others have told me similar shudders on there bike.

Thx for your reply.

·
Registered
92 Posts
My new 2015 Voyager also does it but only when I apply the back brakes. It is the ABS grabbing on the front. 90% of the time I only use my front brakes anyway. On another note, my lower louvers sometimes rattle like a bastard.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's right mostly the back brake. Yes it grabs the front. If I use the front only it is pretty smooth. If I use the front then hit the back after. It does the grab really bad. Seems unsafe.

The purpose of k-act is to provide safety.
Some say it's there other owners say no.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Yes mine shudders at low speeds and believe it's just the ABS. Just read the manual and I always assumed the linked braking worked the same no matter which brake I use. Hmmm still says to use both brakes simultaneously. Definitely don't use just the rear brake I have learnt with linked braking...

Ok. I'm starting to get a better picture of this system. I also read that when applying only the rear brake causes the k-act system to only engage the right front caliper. That might explain the shudder as well.

I'm going to try and disable the abs to rule that out.
And check the steering head for proper adjustment.

Dealer has no knowledge of this but others have told me similar shudders on there bike.

Thx for your reply.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's right mostly the back brake. Yes it grabs the front. If I use the front only it is pretty smooth. If I use the front then hit the back after. It does the grab really bad. Seems unsafe.

The purpose of k-act is to provide safety.
Some say it's there other owners say no.
Thx for the input. I've taken it in to service to get it checked. Sounds like it's just part of the k-act system. Don't think it's abs alone because it does it even and mostly at slow speeds.

I'll post what the service says at the dealer.

I also noted to the dealer that the front forks dive quite a lot. Kinda soft. So we will see what they say about that.
There's no adjustment on front forks so i think it's just normally soft.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
That's the normal behavior of the K-ACT system, even at slow speeds. Use both brakes; and never just the rear; and you won't have issues. The K-ACT is sort of an idiot-proofing system. When you try to use the rear-brake alone it activates the front to save your skin. If you get into that habit of just using the rear brake, and in an emergency, you stick to instinct and slam on that rear brake alone; the K-ACT system might save your life!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do use both brakes. It does it then too. Just pointing out that if you only apply the rear it's most noticeable. Feel it with both as well. Dealer is contacting kawasaki to further discuss the issue. They say it is not normal but need more clarification from kawasaki as to the cause and remedy.

Thx.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts