Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All-

I did a few searches but still not finding the answer I need. I see several You tube posts for modifying the Vulcan Classic exhaust (Using a 1 1/4" hole saw), but my 2016 Vaquero doesn't have the same tail pipes. I measured with a tape, and it it like 9.5" before I hit a stop. Is that the "First Restrictor" I hear folks referring too? So I need to extend the drill bit in that deep for the first cut?

Sorry if this has been re-visited a 100 times, but I want a bit more sound until I can swing the slip-ons.

Thank you in advance-

Raider

·
Registered
324 Posts
Yes, you'll need an extension.

I'd highly recommend removing the mufflers to drill them. Otherwise the pieces you drill out can fall inside the mufflers and they will rattle. Don't ask me how I know. :(

Removing one baffle per side barely makes a difference. 2 per side is noticeable but not loud at all. Drilling all 6 and the catalyst gives a pretty good sound. It's no where near the loudness of the Vance and Hines slip-ons but for the price it'll do.

I have a set of the V&H slip-ons and while I do enjoy putting them on and raising some hell every now and then, they're to loud for everyday use on a Voyager. Part of the problem may be from the sound bouncing off the top case resulting in to much noise to the rider. Just for reference, I've had loud cars, trucks, ATVs, snowmobiles, motorcycles all my life without issue. The Voyager V&H combo is the first time I've ever said that's to loud.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
D-Dub-

Thank you for the advice. LOL.... I felt the same way with a pair of Two Bros I had on my last ZX14r. I had to use the inserts to quiet them down. It was ridiculous.
I appreciate the insight. I am truly not sure if I will even bother with drilling. I might just get my slip-ons and be done. What V&H pipes do you have? I've always like their pipes.

Take care-

Raider

·
Registered
674 Posts
It's the general consensus that Freedom Performance true duals are the loudest, V&H next loudest, and Cobra a little quieter. I like the sound of my Cobra slashcut pipes, but I've only ever heard them or V&H.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I've got the Twin Slash Round. And I wouldn't be surprised if they sounded different on a Vaquaro.
I wish they made quiet baffles for them. I thought about trying to make my own. Maybe I'll pull one of the baffles out this winter, see if something can be done with them.

For drilling the mufflers, you can use a 1/4" drive extension and socket to get in far enough to get the baffles. I taped them together with electrical tape and used caution while pulling out so I didn't loose anything. It worked great and figure I'll be able use the 1/4" extension a lot more than a holesaw extension.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Just for clarification, where did the "socket" come into play?

I've got the Twin Slash Round. And I wouldn't be surprised if they sounded different on a Vaquaro.
I wish they made quiet baffles for them. I thought about trying to make my own. Maybe I'll pull one of the baffles out this winter, see if something can be done with them.

For drilling the mufflers, you can use a 1/4" drive extension and socket to get in far enough to get the baffles. I taped them together with electrical tape and used caution while pulling out so I didn't loose anything. It worked great and figure I'll be able use the 1/4" extension a lot more than a holesaw extension.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts