Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2015 Vulcan Voyager and Looking for a set of pipes for it. Anyone have any suggestion as it seems the choices are slim pickings...

Jeff

·
Registered
214 Posts
Vance & Hines slashcut

Would be the first thing to mine, but have such "nice emission check" and other DOT checks over here in germany. HERE, thes V+H would be illegal and if the police gets you, you could go home on foot - but in the US ? Get them !

Cu,
Sven

·
Registered
105 Posts
I just put on a set of vance an hines slash cuts.first did rays reflash an eliminate the 02 sensor couldn't be happier
How loud do you find the V & H? I had the Cobra 4230 and didn't like them at all. Now that I've had the flash think I will try the slash cuts next year.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Have a 2015 Vulcan Voyager and Looking for a set of pipes for it. Anyone have any suggestion as it seems the choices are slim pickings...

Jeff
I had the Cobra Billet Tips #4230 but didn't like them. I understand the 4228 Tri Flows are louder and less restrictive. There is a good comparison on You Tube of the Tri Flows and V & H Slash Cuts.

·
Registered
23 Posts
How loud do you find the V & H? I had the Cobra 4230 and didn't like them at all. Now that I've had the flash think I will try the slash cuts next year.
When you roll on the throttle they get pretty loud,cruising speed they are pretty Mello kind of like a new set of glass packs on a truck

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have the V & H Slash Cuts on my Vaquero and really like them. Loud when you want them to be but if you are easy on the throttle they are not very loud at all. I hated the sound of the stock mufflers. I did a lot of research before I made the decision and most people thought they sounded better. Here is a post from Racnray that compare Cobra and V & H slipons. This was one reason I want with the V & H in addition to the consensus on the sound.

http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/54-vulcan-1700/28852-cobra-vance-hines-slip-dyno-comparison.html#post243370

·
Registered
669 Posts

Jeff
Back on topic... The '15 has an O2 sensor, so most manufacturers will simply say they don't make pipes to fit it. What they mean is, they've not gotten around to putting an O2 bung in there yet. So yes, it can look like there's not much available.

But in reality, you can put any pipes made for any year 1700 on your bike. The O2 sensor is a badly thought out late "improvement" from Kaw, that really doesn't offer any useful information to the ECU. It's too far down the exhaust system to be of much use. In the muffler? Seriously?

Just pick the exhaust or the slip-ons you want, Cobra (choice of several), V&H (choice of two), Freedom Performance (several configurations, full systems, chrome or black), and then pick up an O2 eliminator on eBay, or alternatively send your ECU to Ivan for a re-flash. Either of those solutions will mean the O2 sensor is no longer required.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Which ones? Since you can't look for your year, make and model which make model did you use that still fits?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Back on topic... The '15 has an O2 sensor, so most manufacturers will simply say they don't make pipes to fit it. What they mean is, they've not gotten around to putting an O2 bung in there yet. So yes, it can look like there's not much available.

But in reality, you can put any pipes made for any year 1700 on your bike. The O2 sensor is a badly thought out late "improvement" from Kaw, that really doesn't offer any useful information to the ECU. It's too far down the exhaust system to be of much use. In the muffler? Seriously?

Just pick the exhaust or the slip-ons you want, Cobra (choice of several), V&H (choice of two), Freedom Performance (several configurations, full systems, chrome or black), and then

pick up an O2 eliminator on eBay

, or alternatively send your ECU to Ivan for a re-flash. Either of those solutions will mean the O2 sensor is no longer required.
I could be wrong (happens all the time) but the only O2 sensor eliminators I've found for the 1700 are just sealed plugs that protect the wiring harness connector after you disconnect the sensor. I can't find any that serve any other purpose.
I wound up making my own O2 eliminator/plug for less than the ones on ebay.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Which ones? Since you can't look for your year, make and model which make model did you use that still fits?
The best option is to have your ECU flashed by Ivan. That will eliminate the need for the O2 sensor. Then, pick a set of slip-ons for a 2013. You won't believe how much better your bike will run.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought Vance and Hines aftermarket slipons. I had a hole drilled and a12mm nut welded to the right muffler for the O2 sensor. Worked perfect and installed them on my 2016 Voyager this weekend. Now have to figure out how to suppress or eliminate the backfire and popping on deceleration, as it's much more noticeable now.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I bought Vance and Hines aftermarket slipons. I had a hole drilled and a12mm nut welded to the right muffler for the O2 sensor. Worked perfect and installed them on my 2016 Voyager this weekend. Now have to figure out how to suppress or eliminate the backfire and popping on deceleration, as it's much more noticeable now.
You basically have three choices: the "marble" method, an aftermarket fuel processor like a PCV or the seemingly method of choice which is to get your ECU flashed by Ivan.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I'll do the marble method first, then if I still don't like the results, probably flash my ECU.
I'm a little confused with the marble method. Are there any links to pictures that show what exactly what I need to plug?

Thanks.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Will do. Thanks
If I remember right take off the right side dog bowl and look for a hose that is connected on the other side of the plate and stick a marble in there. Just it's not as easy as it sounds though. Someone please confirm.

·
Registered
16 Posts
ImageUploadedByMO Free1477072818.127767.jpg

I removed the right side dog bowl. Do I have to remove the black rubber/plastic piece in the picture as well to get to the air hose?
I have a 2016 Voyager. Thx.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Quoted from someone else. I suggest using an electrical marrete to plug hose as they are tapered and size it right.

Take off the dogbowl on the right side of the bike. Where the throttle body is. In the upper left corner at 11 o'clock you will see a hole. That is the pair valve hose also referred to as clean air injection. Basically injects air into the exhaust port to assist with re igniting the fuel vapor in the header pipe, thus afterfire and the pop you hear. You can insert something in the hole to block the hose or you can remove the air box backing plate and block the hose directly. Your choice. So simple a caveman could do it. LOL

View attachment 177122

I removed the right side dog bowl. Do I have to remove the black rubber/plastic piece in the picture as well to get to the air hose?
I have a 2016 Voyager. Thx.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts