Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

2015 vulcan 900 custom Can't find a bigger rear tire under $400.

527 Views 24 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  mrezguy1
I have a 2015 vulcan 900 custom with 4500 miles. I have a 2 inch lowering kit coming in and wanted a new bigger tire. Problem is only one 200 size tire is available at $400 and zero 230 tires. The center of my rear tire is bald so I need to order one very soon....id rather not spend over double a 180 tire for something slightly bigger but really really want that bigger tire look. I'd think about spending that for a 230. Any alternative suggestions would be appreciated.

I don't want to spend the money on a big tire kit yet as I just got the bike 2 months ago and just spent $1200 yesterday on a memphis bullet fairing, power commander V(came straight piped lots of backfiring), lowering kit, mirrors, iridium spark plugs, and some other small stuff. I will probably send it away for the winter to get turboed but thats for another day/post.
Reactions: 1
21 - 25 of 25 Posts
' I wonder why they make tyres specifically for motorcycles when you can get car tyres so much cheaper ?! '- that was meant to be sarcastic by the way !
well i ended up ordering it from american moto tire for $270 so not that bad.... its the av92 cobra chrome tire. Heard they were good and its the 200!
The av92 cobra chrome tire 200/70-15 requires a rim width of 4.75 - 6.25 with a recommended 5.5. I have a 09 Custom which shows a 4.5 stock. It might be difficult to mount and show quicker center wear.
I like to see a 'big fat' rear tyre on a motorbike ,wide that is ,not too fat and not a car tyre, but I think a lot of it is 'fashion' and isn't really necessary. My Suzuki SV650 had a narrower rear tyre than my Honda CB650F and the Suzuki handled fine if not better than the Honda. My current Royal Enfield Classic 350 has a fairly narrow rear tyre but I think it handles better than my Kawasaki VN900 Classic. with its fatter tyre.
Wide vs. Narrow tires (assuming the rim is designed for the tire in question):
WIDE TIRE
Pros
More potential grip especially when cornering.
Allows for higher speeds in corners.
Allows for deeper lean angles when cornering.
More stable in corners.
Able to take more engine power.
Allows for harder throttle application when leaned over.
Safer to trail brake.
Allows for harder braking.
Cons
Usually costs more.
Feels “heavier” to steer.
Leaves more unused areas at the sides (called “Chicken Strips”) if not fully utilized.
Leans the bike further over into a corner than a skinnier tire.
More mass means more power is needed for acceleration (rolling resistance).
More mass also means the suspension and brakes have to work harder.

SKINNY TIRE
Pros
Usually costs less.
Easier to steer.
Easier to utilize the whole tire.
Less rolling resistance for faster acceleration and lower fuel consumption.
Less need for heavier springs in the suspension.
Leans less into a corner at a given speed compared to a wider tire.
Cons
Less potential side grip, limiting cornering speed and lean angles.
Bike feels less stable, sometime skittish.
Too much throttle will overwhelm the small contact patch.
Less force for trail braking or not at all.
Must brake less aggressively.
See less See more
I have a 2015 vulcan 900 custom with 4500 miles. I have a 2 inch lowering kit coming in and wanted a new bigger tire. Problem is only one 200 size tire is available at $400 and zero 230 tires. The center of my rear tire is bald so I need to order one very soon....id rather not spend over double a 180 tire for something slightly bigger but really really want that bigger tire look. I'd think about spending that for a 230. Any alternative suggestions would be appreciated.

I don't want to spend the money on a big tire kit yet as I just got the bike 2 months ago and just spent $1200 yesterday on a memphis bullet fairing, power commander V(came straight piped lots of backfiring), lowering kit, mirrors, iridium spark plugs, and some other small stuff. I will probably send it away for the winter to get turboed but thats for another day/post.
I just lowered mine 1 1/2 not much room left with a 180. The front feels lighter now.
21 - 25 of 25 Posts