Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand new Vaquero - convert from 2 FLTR HD Road Glides - so far so good.

I do have some questions as I only have 100 miles on it.

Coolant temp gauge - is it always at the hot side . If it was a gas gauge I would call it 3/4 full position

I get a slight flat spot stumble at 2500-3000 at 20-40 throttle position?
(I do plan on pipes, air cleaner and PC V tuneup so this may be moot).

Other wise so far so good

:)

·
Registered
1,233 Posts

Coolant temp gauge - is it always at the hot side . If it was a gas gauge I would call it 3/4 full position

3/4 is where the fans come on so in traffic this is normal.

My 1700's are running in stock trim but I have heard the big three make a noticeable difference.

Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Welcome!

+1 to TS tinker.

Two things to understand about the coolant gauge.

1) On most vehicles, and it's been this way for many years, the temp gauge is best described as an "analog warning light". In other words, it has two positions. In the middle (normal) and hot. Sometimes someone will exclaim that their needle suddenly went to hot with no warning. Well, it did. It stays at a pre-programmed spot until it overheats, THEN the needle moves up. Even on your car the water temp fluctuates a lot. This isn't the case on the Vaquero. It shows actual temp.

2) The Vaquero is a liquid-assisted air cooled bike. Similar to the new Harley Davidson (2014 and up) Ultra Limiteds. The heads are liquid cooled and that's it. Which means less overall water capacity, and it still relies on airflow to cool the engine. Meaning at low speeds heat will build up. The fan will kick in and prevent overheating.

As long as it doesn't go high enough to kick on the warning light you'll be just fine. Won't hurt anything.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wow , I wasn't aware that it was a partial liquid cooled bike. I have a ZX14 also - that I use for the strip but also noticed that it gets hot in traffic. I also know with FI the ECU needs to see certain temps. I guess my model is the first with OX sensor. I have been researching tuneups and maybe going with PC -V dynoed map or autotune. I would have to get a plug that goes in current OX sensor electrical connector. I think Dobeck makes one.

For now Im just enjoying my NH vacation until I head back to Fla. in August

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
welcome

i just got the vaquero 2014 se ..about 6 weeks a go.. just put freedom performacs flat black true duels. roaring toys air cleaner and dyno jet V power commander..LOVE it... at the dyno shop.. now

1 - 7 of 7 Posts