Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I missing something? Did they do away with the Nomad and Classic in '15? Really....get rid of the Nomad? They can't get rid of one of their staples, can they????

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hi RacerPhil

That's my feeling exactly, but I didn't buy enough Classics or Nomads to make them change their minds...and neither did anyone else...
I can see folks choosing Voyager over the Nomad or Classic LT, and the Vaq has that "Bagger" market, but no "Classic" bare bones V1700? Ah well, so it goes...

Merry Christmas to All!

WEG

·
Registered
102 Posts
While I don't have my finger on the pulse of the Vulcan sales figures, seems to me as if the 1500 Classics/Nomads et al were wildly popular. The 1600 variants didn't sell as well. The 1700 models even less so. It's rumored that this might well be the last model year for the 1700s. Kawasaki supposedly will have new, exciting Vulcans debuting in the 2016 model year.

My impression is that the Vulcan 1700 Classic was a slow selling model as was the 1700 Classic LT. Nomad sales stagnated after the Vaquero arrived.

OTOH, I think the Vulcan 650 S will sell very, very well. Makes me think that a Vulcan 1000 S with the Versys 1000 motor might be a possibility.

Based on my perspective, the large displacement metric cruisers cannot compete with Harley-Davidson as prices for the former have met and exceeded those of the comparable HDs although exceptions exist. That probably explains why they've focused on the 1300cc and under cruisers.

We'll have to wait and see how it all unfolds over the next several months.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh I would love to see an updated Voyager! They 1700 powertrain is fantastic. They could really work on the balance/suspension and ergos quite a bit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thats a shame. I bought my Voyager because Harley's prices are ridiculous. Now, I actually prefer the Kaw over them any day. I don't have a clue as to why Kawasaki would quit making those models. But, I guess sales dictate what they do. :mad:

·
Registered
702 Posts
Sales dictate everything. People are buying smaller, lighter bikes nowadays according to what the dealers tell me when I visit and drool like a little kid.

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
The rise in the sales of big bikes coincided with the chopper craze of the early 2000s,when TV shows like American Chopper and Biker Buildoff and American Iron and all the rest of them kept building bigger and bigger bikes, some even using 126 CI engine. As more folks got into the market, the demand for bigger motors increased. Harley went from a production 1350 to a 1460 to a standard 96 inch, and a 103 in all the touring models.

I can't imagine any road bike manufacturer not producing a touring model, but what gets lost is that for decades, people toured on 1200 CC motors or less. Heck, as a kid I used to see people going cross country on 750 Hondas loaded to the gills. The big cruiser is a fairly recent thing, but a 1500 will carry you, your passenger and all your gear all day every day.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I can't imagine any road bike manufacturer not producing a touring model, but what gets lost is that for decades, people toured on 1200 CC motors or less. Heck, as a kid I used to see people going cross country on 750 Hondas loaded to the gills. The big cruiser is a fairly recent thing, but a 1500 will carry you, your passenger and all your gear all day every day.

I rode a 1985 1200 Goldwing Interstate for YEARS, loved the bike and the large amounts of storage (miss that a lot) there was not a thing wrong with the bike when I sold it and purchased my V2K. But, similar situation happened with the V2K, sales, there in that model is no longer made, and now I pull a trailer on long hauls.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
My impression is that the Vulcan 1700 Classic was a slow selling model as was the 1700 Classic LT. Nomad sales stagnated after the Vaquero arrived.
I don't know how many 1700 Classics they sold, but I do know that my local dealer had one sitting on the floor for months and months, and nobody bought it. I TRIED to give them my money several times, but they didn't seem to have any interest in moving it. Heck, I was trying to give them MSRP, PLUS buy modifications to make it fit me. That wasn't enough motivation for them, I guess.

In my experience, Kawasaki salesmen don't know much about their products, the parts guys don't know mjuch about available parts and options, and they don't like to work together. They need to get with the program, big time!

Based on my perspective, the large displacement metric cruisers cannot compete with Harley-Davidson as prices for the former have met and exceeded those of the comparable HDs although exceptions exist.
It's true. Yep. Unless somebody has brand loyalty for Kawasaki, there's no real inventive to pass up a Harley for a bike that costs just about the same.

*Not an endorsement for either brand - I have both.*

·
Registered
702 Posts
"I don't know how many 1700 Classics they sold, but I do know that my local dealer had one sitting on the floor for months and months, and nobody bought it. I TRIED to give them my money several times, but they didn't seem to have any interest in moving it. Heck, I was trying to give them MSRP, PLUS buy modifications to make it fit me. That wasn't enough motivation for them, I guess."

Wow that's surprising. I bought a brand new leftover 2011 1700 Classic in Feb of 2013 for $9000 plus tax (no other fees). If I'm not mistaken the MSRP was $11,500. The dealer couldn't wait to push it out the door, it had been in his showroom for a couple years. It was a beautiful bike but it had issues; throttle hesitation and very clunky transmission. I only had it six months and moved on....

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Wow that's surprising. I bought a brand new leftover 2011 1700 Classic in Feb of 2013 for $9000 plus tax (no other fees). If I'm not mistaken the MSRP was $11,500. The dealer couldn't wait to push it out the door, it had been in his showroom for a couple years. It was a beautiful bike but it had issues; throttle hesitation and very clunky transmission. I only had it six months and moved on....
Yeah, I've heard stories of dealers being really motivated to move them, but these guys just didn't seem to care! When you tell the guy, "Find me a lowering solution, and I'll buy this bike right now!", and he says, "I'll call you tomorrow" but you get no phone call . . . :confused: Try that a few times! LOL!

I have heard stories about the throttle hesitation. As far as the clunky transmission goes, I know my Road King can be pretty clunky, too (especially when it's cold). The Ol Man's transmission isn't near as clunky as mine is, but he's running a different oil in his transmission than I am. Either way, I'm told that the bigger the transmissions get, the clunkier they can be. Eh, who knows.

All in all, I was just disappointed by the experience. I was really liking that motorcycle, but they just weren't going out of their way to sell it to me. So, I found myself thinking "If this is the experience when I'm trying to buy the bike, what will it be like when I have a recall, or I need to replace a part, etc?". And, with that, I moved on.

I do wonder what Kawasaki's game plan is, though!

·
Registered
702 Posts
Yeah, I've heard stories of dealers being really motivated to move them, but these guys just didn't seem to care! When you tell the guy, "Find me a lowering solution, and I'll buy this bike right now!", and he says, "I'll call you tomorrow" but you get no phone call . . . :confused: Try that a few times! LOL!

I have heard stories about the throttle hesitation. As far as the clunky transmission goes, I know my Road King can be pretty clunky, too (especially when it's cold). The Ol Man's transmission isn't near as clunky as mine is, but he's running a different oil in his transmission than I am. Either way, I'm told that the bigger the transmissions get, the clunkier they can be. Eh, who knows.

All in all, I was just disappointed by the experience. I was really liking that motorcycle, but they just weren't going out of their way to sell it to me. So, I found myself thinking "If this is the experience when I'm trying to buy the bike, what will it be like when I have a recall, or I need to replace a part, etc?". And, with that, I moved on.

I do wonder what Kawasaki's game plan is, though!

Being so close to a somewhat big city there are lots of dealers within an hour of me so I can shop around quite a bit -- least four HD dealers and 8 or 10 misc. others. Each of the Kawi dealers had new leftover 1700 classics that they were stuck with, all under $10,000; you should have seen their eyes light up when I said I wanted one. I had two dealers working against each other until I settled on the price.

Yeah I was disappointed that my 1700 wasn't up to snuff after I had it a few months. I know there are fixes for the throttle hiccups (Rays throttle mod I guess). I just really liked the looks of the bike. It reminded me of the 900's big brother.

What I should have mentioned was that I traded my 2011 900 Classic in to get the 1700 and in hindsight that was a big mistake. The 900s are fantastic bikes, reliable and tons and tons of aftermarket farkles available....should have kept it, live and learn.

·
Registered
102 Posts
It's my understanding that the 900 models are still popular with buyers unlike their 1700 siblings. We'll see whether there'll be new 1300s debuting in 2016. Don't see any current Vulcans that I'd consider buying. Much more likely to buy a used 1500 with low miles if in the market for a Vulcan. I did like the HD Dyna Switchback much better than the Road King Classic while taking demo rides on both. Was expecting it to be the other way around. However, neither one was worth all the extra money vs my current steed. Would definitely consider a used Switchback after their prices drop below $10K.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I did like the HD Dyna Switchback much better than the Road King Classic while taking demo rides on both. Was expecting it to be the other way around.
The Dyna models have a very, very loyal following. It's basically like a 900 frame with a 1700 motor. They're very fast, and very fun. A friend has a Low Rider, and she absolutely LOVES it. It fits her perfectly. But, she can't fathom the idea of riding an FL. Me? I love my RK! They're VERY different animals!

However, neither one was worth all the extra money vs my current steed.
They're definitely not worth it if it's not what you want. Some people like Gold Wings . . . I think they're worthless. It's all in what you want - nothing wrong with that!

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I hate hearing about these dealers who don't care if they sell a bike. I bought my Vulcan from a good dealership in NC in 2010. It being a leftover 2009, they told me what they wanted for it. I told them, "If you do can $_ out the door, I'll buy it right now." I left a couple of hours later with the bike.

On the other hand, I was in one of two local Kawasaki dealers this summer looking at KLR650s. They had two in stock, a 2014 and a leftover 2012, both priced within $200 of each other. I asked the salesman if they would make a deal on the 2012 and he said, "We could probably knock a couple hundred off." I went by earlier this month to look at dirt bike gear for my son and that 2012 was still sitting there. I'd hate for them to have taken a little loss on the bike, so I bought from a different dealer to save them the trouble.

I realize it is entirely possible that in story #1 I got the best salesman in the building, and in story #2 I got the laziest employee to ever draw a paycheck, but guy #2's desk is literally one step inside the front door so he's the person most customers deal with, at least initially. I'm still looking for a small dual sport for me and a small dirt bike for my son but they won't come from that place.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Well, for me personally, the Dyna Switchback has roomier ergonomics for my 34" inseam vs Road King Classic plus I was sitting in the bike rather than on it. Road King Classic was smoother though. Longer road trips gives the nod to RKC. DS is a great all around bike and ideal for the winding back roads I frequent.

My steed wouldn't be worth all that much as a trade-in and would definitely loss a bundle selling it privately. Would cost me several thousands more to get the DS which isn't that much better, if at all, than my 1500 Classic FI. Might change my tune in a couple of years!

·
Registered
698 Posts
The Dyna models have a very, very loyal following. It's basically like a 900 frame with a 1700 motor.
That was my impression too. When I was looking a little while back the 1st impression was that it's a relatively small bike despite the motor. That's why I was drawn to the RK family or a different brand. Ultimately HD didn't win me over although a mate of mine bought a dyna & he's as happy as larry with it.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Well, for me personally, the Dyna Switchback has roomier ergonomics for my 34" inseam vs Road King Classic plus I was sitting in the bike rather than on it. Road King Classic was smoother though. Longer road trips gives the nod to RKC. DS is a great all around bike and ideal for the winding back roads I frequent.
Definitely understood! A Dyna is an awesome ride for scooting around town, bar-hopping, winding roads, and "speed demonstrations"!

My steed wouldn't be worth all that much as a trade-in and would definitely loss a bundle selling it privately. Would cost me several thousands more to get the DS which isn't that much better, if at all, than my 1500 Classic FI. Might change my tune in a couple of years!
Just a thought for you!

There's a company that offers a product that will let you very easily add OEM-Style hard bags to a Dyna. You can pick up a used Dyna for not too much cash, and throw this on there!

http://www.sumax.com/dyna_bags.html

Worth checking out!!!

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
That was my impression too. When I was looking a little while back the 1st impression was that it's a relatively small bike despite the motor. That's why I was drawn to the RK family or a different brand. Ultimately HD didn't win me over although a mate of mine bought a dyna & he's as happy as larry with it.
It was basically born by putting a big twin engine in a Sporty frame. I know lots of people that ride 2-up for lots of long-distance trips, but it would drive me insane!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Definitely understood! A Dyna is an awesome ride for scooting around town, bar-hopping, winding roads, and "speed demonstrations"!
I did sit on the Low Rider and Street Bob with mid-controls and both were too cramped for me. Took demo ride on Street Bob with forward controls which was a much better fit although I'd rather have floorboards.

Street Bob with forward controls was the most fun to ride. Can switch the forward control pegs to floorboards.

Just a thought for you!

There's a company that offers a product that will let you very easily add OEM-Style hard bags to a Dyna. You can pick up a used Dyna for not too much cash, and throw this on there!

http://www.sumax.com/dyna_bags.html

Worth checking out!!!
More into the retro FXDXT bags from Leather Pros than hard bags. Dyna Switchback has that beefier front end as does the Dyna Fat Bob. Not into the dual headlights nor rear fender on DFB although both can be changed.

Have always been a WG fan and never cared all that much for the NGs. Used to own a '75 FLH1200 which I modified quite a bit. More of a sleazy sled than a factory custom - lol.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts