Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I recently bought this bike a couple of months ago and have really enjoyed it. The brake light works correctly but I noticed the other day that the turn signal/tail lights don't work correctly. The left and right rear blinkers both blink correctly but neither side has running lights. I changed both bulbs and both still blink correctly but still no running lights. I also checked the fuses under the seat and they were ok. When I originally bought the bike, the left blinker blinked really fast but at some point went back to normal. Any ideas what it might be? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
When you replaced the lamps did you put back the same type that you took out?

Or, did you first confirm the installed type vs. the correct type to make sure the proper lamps are installed?

·
Registered
308 Posts
@GhostRider32
I think the rear turn signal lamps do not have running lights. Only the front signal lamps do, unless it's an upgrade..

The running light is in the taillight/brake lamp (+license plate light)

The light bulbs for the front and rear turn signal lamps are different, the front bulbs are a two filament type but the rears are single filament bulbs:
Rear: BA15S base for rear turn signal [1156 bulb],
BAY15D base for tail/brake [1157/2397 bulb]
Front: BAY15D base for front turn signal [1157/2397 bulb]

were both front and back left blinkers fast simultaneously? Usually either the front or back turn signal bulb is not working when you get a fast blinking...

If you re-experience fast blinking, after light bulb and fuse checks, inspect the sockets. It's a sliding contact plate with a spring underneath that pushes the contacts against the bulb's base. that sliding mechanism can get stuck because of whatever reasons. clean the sockets and apply small amount of dielectric grease pushing in the contact plate... make sure you can push it in without much pressure.. watch for the offset pins on the light bulbs.

there are a few discussions about the lights, this is on of them: https://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/49-vulcan-900/27068-fast-flashing-l-turn-signal-3.html

·
Registered
310 Posts
The rear turn signals on the 900 do NOT serve as running lights. Only the fronts.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,854 Posts
no rear running lights. Orange is not legal. if you want them to be running lights you have to rewire and change to red.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DOH..... I didn't realize that they were not running lights. I did replace them with Sylvania Long Life 1156's though.

Thanks all for each detailed response. This is an awesome forum. Hopefully someday I can pay some knowledge forward to help someone else. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts