Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I posted a while back that I was interested in one of these, and I finally got to ride one today. First impressions - the bike is very nice. The stealer - I mean dealer - had it set up to show at a riverfest in their town, so he had pipes and a shorty windshield on it, both I asked to be put back to stock if we pull the trigger on it. Only 500 miles and heavily discounted, making it in our price range. Seems like he is willing to deal with us, more discussion is needed between the wife and I before we move forward or don't the nice thing is we have a nice bike now so we don't hafta if we don't wanna.

Some thoughts:
Motor and power - Seemed to have a little more grunt than the Voyager but not a ton - nothing to make me go wow. Engine had a different sound to it - I've read where some say a sewing machine, and it is sort of like that. I thought smoother power but not a ton more.

Seating and comfort - In my opinion blows the Vulcan away. The cockpit area seems huge. I didn't notice so much going from the Vulcan to the CCT, but after the ride was over and the wife and I hopped back on the VV, very noticeable. There seems to me to be much more room for the both of us on the Vic. One minus from my wife - the trunk doesn't "wrap around" as far and she doesn't have the arm rests she has on the VV, but I think she would sacrifice that for the comfort and room. The seats were stock and seemed more comfy than the VV - stiffer foam makes me believe longer rides with no butt pain. And the seat doesn't have that part that rides up on the gas tank. BONUS for the boys.

Ergonomics - The Vic shines - my first thought was you sit "in" the seat, much lower than the VV. Handlebars and grips were just right for me. Right height, pull back etc. The floor boards are huge - at first blush, I don't think I would even need highway pegs, but not sure about that. Seating position is very comfortable to me. Controls aren't that much different from the VV and I was able to work all the radio controls and cruise pretty intuitively.

Heat - It was 90 deg and humid during the test ride, and we had to stop and idle for about 6 or 7 minutes to try to feel the heat. After I looked at the bike a little closer, I noticed the engine sits further forward of the rider - or seems to. The rear cylinder isn't right under the driver's jewels.

Storage - very well done. The trunk and bags are bigger and in my opinion seem easier to load and access than the VV. The front cubbies are pretty nice too, but don't lock, which is a bummer 'cause I keep all my papers and stuff locked in there now.

Handling - Low speed maneuvers with two up were a breeze. I think the Vic has a much lower center of gravity, or maybe the bike fits me better?? Either way my wife even noticed how much smoother the low speed stuff was. this was one thing I noticed the most.

The fairing would take a little for me to get used to after having the frame mounted type on the VV, but wind management is well done too. With the lower vents open and the wings directed properly, I got enough air to keep me somewhat dry in the heat and humidity. Now that may change with the taller shield, but that is what I prefer. For the passenger, she said she gets a lot more airflow than with the Voyager. Which could be good in the heat and bad in the cooler months.

Stereo sound was great and it was stock (I asked), Because even with the rear kit installed on the VV it was lacking.

That all I can think of right now. I would be happy to try answer any questions not directly related to the price and the deal we are entertaining.
Ride safe.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Thanks for your write up. I have narrowed my search down to the cross country an the Vaquero. I really like both bikes.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
watt, no pix?!!! these kinda post are like girly mags w/o any pix.. all words, blah, blah, blah... sho us da pix!

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts