Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently upgraded from a Vulcan 900 to the Vaquero (still have my 900 cuz its awesome). I decided I had enough decel popping on my Vaquero and bought the PCV. Installed it correctly and bike wouldn't start. I smelled gas so assumed injectors were working. Pulled of the PCV coil wires and hooked stock ones back up. Bike started. Put PCV wires back on and bike started. Frustrating thing is I had double check all my connections on original install and they were tight. Now I'm nervous about having issues on the road. I do a lot of long rides and really don't want to break down. Anyone else ever have any issues?

·
Registered
138 Posts
a lot have had the same issue ,usally a bad connection and once redone its cured
i have had mine on for a couple of years now and has never let me down

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
No, and I haven't heard of anyone having that either. You must have gotten the PCV with ignition.
I don't know what to tell ya except something wasn't right. Mine has been running since 09.
Did you get a good map for your set up?

·
Registered
281 Posts
You should be good now. What you thought was tight was probably not. I just installed the PCV 2 weeks ago. Bike runs fine but I kept noticing a flicker on my status light on the PCV in low rpm idle, say below 950 rpm. It was driving me nuts because the status light indicates an error but it was only flickering. Yesterday I dedided to look at the two wires connected to the ECU. Turrns out I had one wire from the PCV hooked up to the wrong black wire. I corrected it and now no more flicker. Your double checking probably snugged down what ever was not right the 1st time.

P.S. - David Sheek, I think that is what was causing the wierd idle with your map. I loaded a different fuel map using your Ignition map and man the bike ran like a beast. Smooth as all get out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been doing electrical work a long time and know to check the wires are tight. With that said , I also know sometimes that doesn't matter and stuff happens lol. Maybe a connector landed "next to" and not "in to".

davidsheek, you and raycnray are well known on these forums as the premier 1700 gurus. My map is the PCV recommended for V&H slash cuts and stock air. I made a slight increase to the 1500rpm/0 throttle (15) to help with decal pop (checked for exhaust leaks already and bikes has 2200 miles). Riding today so hopefully goes well. Looking to add raycnray throttle and an air kit (if anyone can recommend an air kit id appreciate it). If you have any better maps let me know please. And yes, I have the unit with ignition adjust.

Just for laughs guys, my Harley buddies were braking my stones for having a metric. I asked them if they noticed my big rear view mirrors. When they looked at my puzzled I told them its so I can keep an eye on them when they're way behind me! LOL. I respect all who ride and whatever they ride, except a Slingshot. That's a car.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
I've been doing electrical work a long time and know to check the wires are tight. With that said , I also know sometimes that doesn't matter and stuff happens lol. Maybe a connector landed "next to" and not "in to".

davidsheek, you and raycnray are well known on these forums as the premier 1700 gurus. My map is the PCV recommended for V&H slash cuts and stock air. I made a slight increase to the 1500rpm/0 throttle (15) to help with decal pop (checked for exhaust leaks already and bikes has 2200 miles). Riding today so hopefully goes well. Looking to add raycnray throttle and an air kit (if anyone can recommend an air kit id appreciate it). If you have any better maps let me know please. And yes, I have the unit with ignition adjust.

Just for laughs guys, my Harley buddies were braking my stones for having a metric. I asked them if they noticed my big rear view mirrors. When they looked at my puzzled I told them its so I can keep an eye on them when they're way behind me! LOL. I respect all who ride and whatever they ride, except a Slingshot. That's a car.
I started that high in 0% throttle position and still had the popping, went as high as 30. I decided to take the opposite approach and backed fuel off at 0 throttle started at 10 and ended up at 4. No more popping. In addition I added 4 in the ignition table at 0 throttle from 1750 RPM to redline. I get an odd pipe fart every now and again when the bike is super heated in stop and go traffic. And even that is rare.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts