Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having owned a 2009 Vulcan 900 for a couple of months, I'm looking for something smoother from a powertrain perspective and more powerful for perhaps the spring.

Anyone test ride one of these yet or own one at all?

The thing costs as much as a Honda Civic but there's already $2k off on the Honda Canada website ($18k Cdn).

The flat 6 engine is very smooth and a qtr mile in the low 13's seems fast enough (mid-high 15's for the 900).

I don't like the weight at 752 lbs but it's mostly at the bottom with the flat 6 so I imagine is more maneuverable than the 900 even at 600 lbs but would love to hear from anyone with personal experiences.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Anyone test ride one of these yet or own one at all?
The thing costs as much as a Honda Civic but there's already $2k off on the Honda Canada website ($18k Cdn).
well that's a jump, 900 twin to 1800 six pak. This scoot will RUNE you! ther isnt a better motor made on two wheels. Basically it's a Porsche for a third the money.
While yor salivating on owning a rocket ship, better look at the F6B cuz yor gonna want (need) a wind screen for all the high speed riding you'll be doin on that sled.
I have test ridden the full enchilada GW and it is the top shelf item for handling and comfort long haul. Honda dealers often have used unit they will let you test ride. If you like the wing, you'll love the rocket.
I wouldn't waste my time or money on that stripped sled, you will bugger it horribly when you start to dress it. F6B is the decent middleweight.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This scoot will RUNE you!

I wouldn't waste my time or money on that stripped sled, you will bugger it horribly when you start to dress it. F6B is the decent middleweight.
Thx for chiming in Poncho ... like the Rune reference.

Not digging the F6B or the Gold Wing ... I'd rather buy a windshield for the odd highway trip (& it's apparently not bad as is re: wind) and then remove it.

I'm more of a weekend rider at this point and at 5'7" and 170 lbs like to keep the bikes on the lighter side of the scale.

No one around here reasonably close has 1 in stock and with it near freezing the next day or 2, test rides are coming to an end.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Thx for chiming in Poncho ... like the Rune reference.

I'm more of a weekend rider at this point and at 5'7" and 170 lbs like to keep the bikes on the lighter side of the scale.

No one around here reasonably close has 1 in stock and with it near freezing the next day or 2, test rides are coming to an end.
size matters? I'm no bigger and toss several 850lb sleds like they was middle weights. The GW-f6b motor-chassis-suspension is above the line in performance and handling. This RUNE is same sans any clothes. Itsa racehorse 4 sure.
You need to hustle down Texas way. They got plenty here. Looked at them up close, am not impressed with strip job. I could strip it mor better. Butt you gotta do watt floats yor boat. You won't be disappointed in its performance.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
We have a young lady around here, maybe 130lbs soaking wet who rides her own fully dressed Harley all the time, going her own way. As far as size, as long as you can touch the ground when stopped, the rest is just confidence, I believe. I moved up from an 800 at 500lbs to the Voyager at nearly 900 and scraped both front floorboards the 1st day.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As far as size, as long as you can touch the ground when stopped, the rest is just confidence, I believe. I moved up from an 800 at 500lbs to the Voyager at nearly 900 and scraped both front floorboards the 1st day.
I agree it gets easier the more you do it ... been riding for only 2 months and each time I went out it felt better than the time before. It's like anything really.

Another thing I hope the Valk will do easier is turn in. The front wheel doesn't have as much of a rake and is thus tucked in closer to the body which should aid cornering.

Haven't scraped the foot pegs yet but I'm slowly leaning over more as the comfort level goes up too!

·
Registered
578 Posts
The flat 6 engine is very smooth and a qtr mile in the low 13's seems fast enough (mid-high 15's for the 900).
Low 13's?! That's not right. Try mid 11's. The V2K runs in the 12's and the Honda will put a hurt on it.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Assuming you liked your Valk? Would you buy another one? I know a couple guys that still have them and love them...
bh, the valks are a cult.. you have to give up yor other bikes when you join this religion. most folks dont come back from over here/there..

·
Registered
702 Posts
bh, the valks are a cult.. you have to give up yor other bikes when you join this religion. most folks dont come back from over here/there..
Yeah I kinda got that feeling when it was talking to two guys at a party that have them -- never knew that before. That had this crazy glazed look on their faces like they were in some sort of trance when talking about their Valks :eek:

The new ones sure look sharp...

·
Registered
775 Posts
Never say never BUT I ride a Vulcan & a Stratoliner now.
When one of those finally goes down I was going to get a lighter bike.
I like the Suzuki Bandit 1250.
My sweetie doesn't ride that much so I only need one 2 up machine.
I also miss the ability to go through some serious twisties without scraping hard parts.
If I did get an 1800 I would probably strip a REAL GW.
I think it has bigger bags than the http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/04/22/harley-davidson-cvo-road-glide-vs-honda-gold-wing-f6b-deluxe-comparison-test/
I'm parting out 2 Valks as we speak.

JJ

·
Registered
894 Posts
Valk? IF Honda still made a true VALK and not just a stripped Naked wing, I would have jumped on board the line . . . This new Valk is a demon . . . but calling it a Valk does a great injustice to the Legacy.

The original VALK was a bruiser of a cruiser - no nonsense, in your face, I ain't no wannabe cuz I can out run and out perform anything made in Milwaukee . . . I seriously was considering buying an 8 year old VALK Interstate when I bought my Voyager . . .

Rumor has it the original VALK was discontinued because it cut too much into Honda's coveted Gold Wing sales . . . Now stripping down a wing and calling it a Gold Wing Valkyrie, instead of its own model, it just adds to the Wing sales figures . . .

I am not a fan . . . but I know one guy who has one . . . A VERY experienced motorcycle instructor and law enforcement motorcycle instructor who's riding skills are among the best, and he flat out said this is the ONLY bike who's performance has ever scared him . . . That something so big can go so fast and handle so well . . . It just makes him want to go faster . . . He absolutely loves it . . . And that is what motorcycling is all about . . . finding, modding and riding your own bike

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
by chance mite it look anything like this?

Attachments

·
Registered
775 Posts
Napom: "The original VALK was a bruiser of a cruiser - no nonsense, in your face, I ain't no wannabe cuz I can out run and out perform anything made in Milwaukee . . . I seriously was considering buying an 8 year old VALK Interstate when I bought my Voyager . . ."

The new one is too & it'll flat out SMOKE that Voyager. ;)
The Interstate has that stupid box on the back though and that stupid fairing & pods. Yuck.:(
My tourer was WAY better than the IS on a more challenging road.

And yes,honda dumped the Valk because they wanted everyone to get a new GW or a new VTX1800.

Look at the stupid VTX Interstate
http://powersports.honda.com/2014/interstate.aspx?cid=main_reprise/google/LG_Motorcycle_Street/LG_Interstate/interstate&mkwid=sZSjfGPVB|dc_pcrid_51392433442_pkw_interstate_pmt_p

What an insult to the Interstate name this wimpy,sissy bike is.
It makes me sick.

JJ

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I chanced upon one of these things yesterday at my local Honkawyamzuki dealer and was underwhelmed by the sight of it. The Valk's of the past had that over the top gobbs of chrome and bright paint can't hide this beast anywhere so don't even try look. This new version looks almost like a cross between an adventure bike and a crotch rocket. The big low chrome duels looked out of place which is kind of odd for a bike that in the past literally screamed "LOOK AT ME". Don't get me wrong, it is a good looking bike, just a lot different in appearance than it's ancestors. Much less noticeable to the passer by. I have never ridden either version so my near useless opinion is based on looks alone but I would be more than happy to ride one or both if someone would like an unbiased opinion.

·
Registered
775 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Napom: "The original VALK was a bruiser of a cruiser - no nonsense, in your face, I ain't no wannabe cuz I can out run and out perform anything made in Milwaukee . . . I seriously was considering buying an 8 year old VALK Interstate when I bought my Voyager . . ."

The new one is too & it'll flat out SMOKE that Voyager. ;)
JJ
No doubt JJ - I never said my Voyager was a match for the New Valk, the point I was trying to make was just that I was seriously considering buying an 8 year old bike instead of a brand spankin new one . . . Personally, I don't consider the new Valk a cruiser . . . its a stripped down sport tourer . . . more in line/competition with the Concours than the Voyager . . . It seems Honda feels that just because it doesn't have a fairing it is a cruiser . . . and they are hoping the spoon fed motorcycle buying public will bite off on that by giving it the Valk name . . . but then again, I think Honda has lost touch with most of the cruiser community when it deviated from the highly successful VTX line up in favor of the mass produced chopperesque niche of the Fury/Interstate . . . Their only true cruisers are the 750 and 250 Rebel line ups . . .

1 - 20 of 33 Posts