Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Since I now have ridden for more than 2K miles on the bike, I figured I would share my experiences with it for those that is interested.

I guess I will start with the weight of the bike, there is really no huge difference between it and any other bike comparable in size. It feels lighter to lift off the stand than my V2K did, to me that is not a big deal, but it is to some.

Next Power. I feel underpowered :( and miss the V2K's torque and response. The 103 is not a sissy, but it ain't no V2K. If feels like it makes its best power higher in the RPM range (3K or so). You also have to keep the RPMs up higher to pull out. I am guessing it is due to the pattern the engine fires.

Now handling. IMO the handling of between it and the V2K is not that drastically different, as in sticking to the road. BUT the steering input is a lot lighter due to the rake being smaller. The HD also has a better lean angle. You can lay it over a bit more than the V2K.

Ride Comfort. After playing with the air shocks I have found for our rough roads in this area, around 40 lbs is good for 2 up riding, but a bit rough for solo. So I keep it around 30 to meet in the middle. The shocks are on a shared air system, so you only have to pump it up in one spot, but if you have a leak, then the whole system leaks.

Air Protection. Any more air protection and you would be riding in a car. I have mixed feeling about getting a full fairing bike. I miss the wind in my face on the back roads, but I love it on my new 1.5 hour commute of 4 lane highway. The lower fairings help a lot with rain coverage, but you can feel more heat on your feet and legs because of the less air flow. You have vents in the lowers to let some air in, it helps, but not eliminates. That is just the trade off having the extra protection. The vent in the front fairing is a nice touch. Contrary to what a lot of people think, it is not there there to add air flow to the rider, it is there to create a jet of air to create a bigger protection pocket. It works great, I can ride with my half helmet or full face with no ill effects of wind buffeting. But in return if the rain, it spits water at your, open or closed. It does not seal when it is closed, there is still about an 1/8" gap that is open.

Storage. HD redesigned the bags and tour pack. They are both a lot larger than other models. They also redesigned the latches to where you can open the bags with one hand. The latch is behind the bag and you flip it up. Then the bag just flips open toward the outside. Small change, but huge improvement over their other designs. The tour Pack is large enough to fit 2 full face helmets in. They also put it on an adjustable mount. There is also more passenger room than previous models.

Rider Comfort. I already talked about the wind protection, so on the the factory seat. It is exponentially better than any factory Vulcan seat I have ever owned. Closes one would be the Meanie Seat, but it still is not as good. They are a softer seat and unlike the factory Vulcan seats they account for tail bone pressure. At first the "Touring" riding position did not feel comfortable, but i adjusted and is more comfortable than the "cruiser" position. With your feet under you, you help relieve you butt from carrying as much weight. But a set of highway pegs would be good to change up the position. The insulated foot boards on the HD are nice, they really kill a lot of the vibrations.

Passenger Comfort. The wife love it compared to the V2K. The rear seat is wider and supplies more hip support. More room due to tour pack redesign. The floor board also have some height adjustment to them. They are low enough for her (she is 5'11") to be comfortable. We could only do 30-40 mile on the V2K before she needed a break, now she can do 75-100.

Water Cooled Heads. From what I have noticed so far, it feels to run cooler than previous HDs. I have not spent a lot of time on them, but it does feel a bit cooler to me. I have also not experienced any coolant loss or coolant caps flying off like I have read online either.

I am not going to go in to the extra bells and whistles of the bike, Infotainment System, heated Grips, ..., you know, the extra do dads that don't make the bike any different. I will answer any questions about it you all ask. But in short, do I miss my V2K and some of the things about it, Yes. Do I like the Ultra Limited and the new things it offers, Yes. Overall I am glad I made the jump to a touring type bike because it fits my needs better than a cruiser, even though I miss face in the air on the weekend cruises, I am commuting on the 4 lane more than I am cruising back road now.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
How is the MPG on that thing?
I know were not supposed to care; but planning fuel stops under 200 miles is a bother.:(

Where is the farthest dealership you have a shirt from.:D JK! Had to give you some razzing.:)

Scott

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Honestly I have not checked the MPG's. I do know that I can get over 220 before the light comes on. If I was to guess I would say I am around 40 ish at the most.

Oh and for the t-shirt the farthest one I got is London KY. That is where I bought the bike at, lol.

·
Registered
11,754 Posts
Passenger Comfort. The wife love it compared to the V2K. The rear seat is wider and supplies more hip support. More room due to tour pack redesign. The floor board also have some height adjustment to them. They are low enough for her (she is 5'11") to be comfortable. We could only do 30-40 mile on the V2K before she needed a break, now she can do 75-100.

This is the only thing that REALLY matters....

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It sure made it easier to justify the purchase :D. I would have love to have tried the Voyager & Victory Cross Tour but with the Kawasaki, the dealers would not let me test ride one. How much of a feel can you get of a bike just by sitting on it on the sales room floor. And with Victory, I did not really have any close dealer support.

J

·
0 Posts
'Passenger comfort' is how we ended up with a GL1800 in the garage. My wife was sick and tired of the lousy passenger accommodations on our (read: my) motorcycles, so she wrote the check for our 2008 GL...just for that seat.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
220 miles sounds great to me.
If your light comes on with a half gallon left in your 6 gallon tank, that works out to 40 MPG. I bet you have more than a half gallon left, so you should be over 40.
With only 2k on the odo you could still see an improvement in mileage too.
Very nice.

I usually average around 38 to 40 MPG.

And yes! passenger comfort is paramount. :)

Scott

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
How is the MPG on that thing?
I know were not supposed to care; but planning fuel stops under 200 miles is a bother.:(

Where is the farthest dealership you have a shirt from.:D JK! Had to give you some razzing.:)

Scott
Bingo! People get all defensive when you ask about MPG's or tank size because "If I wanted to save gas I'd buy a prius". Well, that's fine for you. But I don't want a Prius. If I want to save gas; I'll ride a motorcycle thank you very much! But; more than that, getting gas several times during a ride or every-other-day when commuting is a pain. One of the reasons I can't seem to let go of my 900. Even the 200~250 mile range I get seems too short and it's longer than most!

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I was thinking about this post yesterday when I fueled up. So I decided to calculate my mpg. I traveled 201 miles on 4.7 gallons of Gas (93 up to 10% corn). That comes out to 42.8 mpg. I have about 2.8k miles on it now. There is some real world number for you all. I don't hardly ever run it empty since I burn over half a tank of gas in one round trip to work and gas is $0.30 cheaper per gallon in the town I live in compare to the town I work in. So I gas up every morning, except on weekends. That is when I actually burn it down toward the E mark.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Still going strong, no complaints or problems. Only work done was 1 recall since I have had it. I have had it 4 months and have 8K on it now (took the pics a few days ago).

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Very nice,
Sounds like you are enjoying it.:)

Now that you've put some miles on it; do you still feel under-powered?
I know the V2K torque is amazing; but do you feel anemic and the 103?

Ride safe
Scott

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now that the initial shock is over. I don't ever feel under powered unless I get a while hair in me and want to rip it WOT. The V2K torque is like a drug, I just had to make it trough the DT symptoms. lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts