Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rode my 2014 900 to a Kawi shop and sat on a 2014 Nomad (thinking...). Except for the height, it fits me better than the 9. I've decided the seat height is not a barrier --- while I can't quite have both feet flat footed, it feels fine with the left foot flat and the right foot on the brake. The main barrier is that I love my 9. But,...

So I have 7100 miles on my 9 since buying it new in early June. It's pretty much mint, even though well ridden in such a short amount of time. They'll give me $5935 for it. The out-the-door price on the Nomad is $14268. So I'd leave with a 2014 Nomad replacing my 9 for $8333. I guess maybe there's some tax on the 900 sale to take out.

Good price or bad?

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Kelly shows they are giving you normal retail for your bike (that is good for a dealer). I would have thought it was worth more, but this is what they show:

Kelly Blue Book Values

I don't know the tax and such in your area, but my guess is that they are wanting about 12.9K for the Nomad (plus add-ons). That might be considered normal (seen them for a bit less, but not often). You may have room for a few more to be taken off. Also note that in most states (not California) you only pay tax on the difference between the cost of the new bike and your trade-in. They will tell you the truth on that and should be able to show this on their price sheet. I don't like to deal with the "out the door price" as that means they save on anything that is reduced in the deal (like the taxes). I like to know what the tax percent is, what they charge for paperwork, and the tag fees. Then only talk the price of the bike.

Here's some thoughts.... Make them show you the details of each item they are asking you to paying for. Then use your own paper to come up with the same amount, but list it differently and in front of them. Combine all of the bike stuff into one price (for the bike). Only put tag, tax, and paperwork as separate line items (unless you are getting an extended warranty, then it gets a line). That allows you to see the real price you pay for the bike. Then talk to them about that single bike price to get them down lower. Once you have identified exactly what you are paying for 2 wheels and an engine, you are better equipped to deal and will feel better if you have to walk away saying "no thanks"....

Bike + assembly + get ready + yada yada (that's all one item) = $XX,XXX
Paperwork = Should be cheap, maybe $75 to $150ish
Tag = State law pricing, no profit
Tax = State law pricing, no profit
3 Year Extended Kawasaki Brand Warranty = Less than $400, but this is a great thing to ask for as a last minute toss-in.
Fluff = $0
Fancy = $0

You can't negotiate tax and tag work, so look at everything else as the places to deal. When you separate the numbers that way, you are telling the dealer that you know what he's trying to charge for just the bike. Tax and tags are state law.

Added: I guess I should have closed by saying that once you have the final number, then it's up to you to decide if the difference is worth the deal. That's a lot of money, so the value has to be there.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I would say its a fair deal... If you hang onto the 900 and add miles the trade in/resale on them collapses.
Go look at prices on used 900 2 or 3 years old with miles on them.

I would do the deed and move up to the Nomad. You can get a custom seat and you can lower it but you
get way more bike. And I loved riding my sons 900LT around town before he sold it. He moved to an 09 Nomad
that has a Reckless fairing on it. Looks nice and totes the old lady around much better than the 9.

When I'm too old to lift my Voyager I'm going to 900LT, when I can't lift the 900 it's a Polaris Slingshot...

gb

·
Registered
415 Posts
I had a similar experience, traded in my 2012 900 for a 2013 nomad, i think your getting a fair deal, don't forget to ask for the first two services thrown in and a new helmet, that clinches it!.....ride on.....

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Went to the nomad from a 9,looked at it,sat on it,said to myself,Only Live Once,man what a ride,no regrets,think its a fair deal

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
That's not a great deal for a 2014 leftover Nomad. It's average, but not something you need to think about 'jumping on'. ALTHOUGH; if you do want a Nomad, know they've been discontinued; 2014 is the last year they were new.

A dealer near me has a '14 Nomad, new, listed for $11,000.

They are around, and with good price. The MSRP in 2014 was $17,999; but Kawasaki has dropped prices across the line. That'll get you onto the full-baggers now (Vaquero and Voyager). So they really need to deal if they want to offload that Nomad.

That's actually more than I paid for my 2014 Vaquero ABS SE.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Dealer is paying you retail money for your bike and not taking any off the price of the new one I guess. Sounds like they're presenting a difference number and that's it. Ask them what the new one is with no trade. Then throw your trade in back at them. Then you'll see what they're really paying you for yours and what they are charging for theirs. If your cool with what the numbers actually look like, then it's a good deal.

Up here in Canada, my 2015 Voyager listed for 19300. They knocked $2000 off it and paid me $4200 for my 07 900LT with 22000 km on it. Now here's the best part about the heavy discount on the new one: Sales manager was working up from cost and priced it out like a Vaquero - big mistake. But he did the right thing and kept his mouth shut until after we traded keys. Told him I didn't feel bad since his service department messed up three years prior and cost me 800 in unnecessary repairs. Siad to him that I considered us even steven and that our little dispute was finally settled.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Yep. I've always employed the "trade later" philosophy. You'll get less for your trade but you'll pay less overall. They'll move numbers around anywhere they can.

I paid $12k for my Vaquero and got $3k for my '06 900 with 40,000 miles on it. Walked out with the Vaquero, effectively, for $9k. And it was still in the crate when I bought it

·
Registered
256 Posts
Yep. I've always employed the "trade later" philosophy. You'll get less for your trade but you'll pay less overall. They'll move numbers around anywhere they can.

I paid $12k for my Vaquero and got $3k for my '06 900 with 40,000 miles on it. Walked out with the Vaquero, effectively, for $9k. And it was still in the crate when I bought it

You won't necessarily pay more, it's just a friendlier way of presenting the numbers. Most buyers are obsessed with what their trade is worth (when all a trade in is worth is what the wholesale market is willing to bear).

In my case:

19300 list
- 6200 "total trade allowance"
=13100 plus tax

-or-

19300 list
- 2000 discount
- 4200 acutal cash value of trade
=13100 plus tax

Anything slimy going on? Nope. It's just that dealers buy at wholesale and sell at retail and no one really likes seeing what their stuff is worth wholesale. Everyone always thinks that they can get a lot more, easlily. Well, my dealer put $4200 into the bike and then had to put a new tire on it and a safety. So let's say he's into it for $4500, assuming it needed not one thing to pass safety inspection other than the tire. He put it on the lot and it sat for three months before it sold.

I was just happy to throw the keys at him and let him deal with getting rid of the old one.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OP here,

Just letting you know that I've scratched the idea because:

1) the 9 performed so damn well on the ride home from the dealer (plenty of power as long as I was in the right gear, and with 2 pulleys on the freeway, I was fine, with no significant buzz at 65-70 (in a 55 mph zone where everyone goes 65-70).

2) you all convinced me that this is not a great deal. That was my instinct anyway. It would have to be a really good deal for me to part with my bike.

So today I continued with my strategy to make the bike the best it can be, installing baron's big air and cobra's fuel processor. Should have a ride in by tomorrow, if it doesn't rain as forecaset. Back to thinking the next bike is an addition rather than a trade. Too many good things about this bike, as a boulevard cruiser and a secondary hwy tourer with the pulleys.

·
Registered
256 Posts
ya never know... I walked in for an oil change and rear tire and was signing the deal within 20 minutes - before he woke up and changed his mind.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Same thing happened to me. I rode 250 miles for a Vaquero and Nomad test ride. Scratched the idea and rode home. The ride home on my 900LT even at 75mph was so smooth especially knowing I didn't spend $12000 ++

1 - 13 of 13 Posts