Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks, I'm seeing EPAs from 28 to 36- anybody know what I can expect for around-town/back roads driving? I'm looking at a 2013 Voyager with ABS... Thanks !!

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
I have a 2013 Voyager 1700. Still in the breakin period. I calculated 34 mpg Thursday on a 160 mile ride. Used 4.7 gallons. I was doing my best to follow the book on breakin rpms. Darn low fuel flashed like crazy the last 15 or 20 miles.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a '12 Voyager. I am getting 30-32 on average. Best I have gotten was 34. I have Cobra's on mine and like to listen to them too much sometimes. I too do a lot of back roads in NC thru a lot of small towns. I have ridden A LOT on the big slabs and much prefer the byways. I tend to go quite a bit out of the way sometimes to avoid getting on the I's. But isn't that why we bought these things!?

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I have a fully stock '10 with 50,000 miles on it. My overall average is 39 mpg. The best I saw was cruising the Natchez Trace where I got 48 mpg. The worst was 32 mpg riding into a headwind at 84 mph on I-65.

·
Registered
194 Posts
That will vary ALOT...depending on what your right wrist is doing. I seem to get better mpg with the wife on the rear seat.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Mile will improve some as the miles add up. I was getting 33-35 when new, riding easy. After 3-4000 miles it has gone up to around 37-39 most times. Dont believe the readout on the dash, actual is usually lower if you figure it at the pumps.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Mile will improve some as the miles add up. I was getting 33-35 when new, riding easy. After 3-4000 miles it has gone up to around 37-39 most times. Dont believe the readout on the dash, actual is usually lower if you figure it at the pumps.
A few years ago I tracked 10 tanks of fuel and compared it to the average computed by the bike. If you reset the bike at every fill up it doesn't track well with calculated at the pump mileage. Of course there are also variances with calculating at the pump.

If you don't reset the bike, and let it go for 10 tanks of fuel and compare that with the calculated average, it is actually really close.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My 2012 Voyager shows 43 - 45 mpg on the digital readout but when I measure it at the pump it really comes out to around 40mpg. I drive conservatively without a passenger so I was hoping it would be more that 40 but no such luck.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I have a 2013 Voyager 1700. Still in the breakin period. I calculated 34 mpg Thursday on a 160 mile ride. Used 4.7 gallons. I was doing my best to follow the book on breakin rpms. Darn low fuel flashed like crazy the last 15 or 20 miles.
That darn flashing is annoying, isn't it.

When my low fuel starts flashing, I scroll through the odo readout to one of the trip meters, and reset it to zero. I know I have 50km at least until it runs dry.

If it starts flashing again (that'll happen if it reassesses the remaining distance up over the threshold for setting off the flashing)... just scroll through the odo's again to show the distance since you reset.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
I track every fill up on my phone. It's calculating around 36 mpg lifetime average. I normally ride alone and this will be my first full year having a trailer to tow, so I expect the average to drop slightly

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
That darn flashing is annoying, isn't it.

When my low fuel starts flashing, I scroll through the odo readout to one of the trip meters, and reset it to zero. I know I have 50km at least until it runs dry.

If it starts flashing again (that'll happen if it reassesses the remaining distance up over the threshold for setting off the flashing)... just scroll through the odo's again to show the distance since you reset.
That's a good idea. Hadn't thought about that. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Freeway (70-75 mph) 32 - 34 One tollway is 85 mph - I got 32
Back roads (50-55 mph) 45- 53
Other roads 60 mph 42
I have gone 73 miles after the "need gas" starts flashing.... but it was 176 miles between gas stations where I was at the time. (Central Nevada)

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Freeway (70-75 mph) 32 - 34 One tollway is 85 mph - I got 32
Back roads (50-55 mph) 45- 53
Other roads 60 mph 42
I have gone 73 miles after the "need gas" starts flashing.... but it was 176 miles between gas stations where I was at the time. (Central Nevada)

My 09 does exactly as yours Bubba. She really does well in the Smokies at 40-55 MPH. 45 MPG two up. Hell it still does 40 MPG with the 350 lbs of trailer behind if You run her 55 MPH. 75-80 on the interstates drops her down to 28 MPG real quick. We avoid interstates anyway. 43,000 miles and I don't think 1000 of them are interstate. No sights on them interstates.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
I pull a trailer a LOT.................

In Nevada it is practically all interstate highway unless you go by pack mule.... But that is just to get you into California Sierra mountain roads...

But I no longer live there and I like these back county/country roads here in central Texas.... Most in terrible condition, but still fun...

·
Registered
894 Posts
I tracked the mileage on my 2011 Voyager very closely last year. I reset the guestimator on the first ride and let it go through the year. After my last ride of 2014 on Dec 26, the guestimator told me I had averaged 42.2 mpg. I also track it at the pump with an app on my iPhone . . . That told me my overall average was 36 mpg.

In 2014, my best mileage on one tank was in on May 8 - I averaged 46.479 mpg on one tank. According to my ride log, the temps were between 54 and 88 during my ride . . . I rode on secondary roads through moderate hills and was riding solo.

In 2014, my worst at the pump mileage was on Dec 26 - I averaged 30.580 on that fill up. The temps were between 27 and 52 and I was riding two-up with my 15 year old son. We were on mostly rolling back roads but did got hung up in a 1/2 hour - 45 min long traffic jam on one of them due to an accident.

This year I am tracking at the pump and resetting the guestimator with each fill up - We'll see how the numbers are . . .

For reference my 2011 Voyager has Thunder Air Kit, Cobra Tri Ovals, and Cobra Power Pro processor . . . It started 2014 with 19,319 miles and finished it with 30,353 miles . . .

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
30-45 and all smiles between every fill up. Always happy to fill it up again for another 180- 200 miles of pure bliss. If it gets 30 or 45 i have the same fun. usually stop every 100 miles anyway for a stretch and a water or soda. Mine gets tremendous SPG. (smiles per gallon)

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
SPG...i like that!!!

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I've been kinda making a game of seeing how good I can do on mpg. The dash once said 39.3, but at the pump was 36.9, then 40.1, but was 34.2, now showing 40.3, will most likely fill it twice today. This has been since last weekend, riding mostly 45-60 with the 45 speeds being stop n go traffic.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts